Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

University of Virginia Student graduates in one year

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

University of Virginia Student graduates in one year

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/19/AR2006091901779.html

After reading this since I'm applying to college this fall, I am both shocked at this accomplishment and a bit revulted.

I'm sure you can all understand why I'm surprised because no normal person graduates college in a year and makes a profit from attending.

So I'll skip to the revulsion. If I were even given the opportunity to graduate college in a year, I would definitely not accept it. College is one of the most important transitions in a person's life to the real world. It's the first time where we live independently and one year just seems way too short. Also, college should be the time of your life. And I'm not just talking about parties and stuff. It's the best time to make new friends, find love, discover new experiences, new interests, and learn from mistakes. One year is definitely not enough.

Any thoughts? Would you graduate college in a year?

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I, too, will graduate in one year. :)

3. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Actually, it's not all that surprising. When I went into college, I had half a semester already covered from High school with AP Courses. If I had spent more time studying for the AP tests, I could've dropped 1 whole year, and I wasn't even taking all the AP classes. I'm fairly sure that had I spent the time, I could've chopped off two years with just AP classes and taking AP tests.

My high school also had a School-College program where you could enroll in college classes while still attending high school. You just need at least 1 high school class to stay high school enrolled. During senoir year, if you had already taken all your required classes as electives during your last 3 years, you basically had 1 hour of classes during the day. This means that you could spend those hours going to college.

If you did that, you'll finish another year of college by the time you graduate from High school. This leaves you 1 year of pure college. I'm not saying this is how he did it, i'm just saying that it's possible and actually really easy. High school classes are some of the easiest education you'll ever have. AP classes are somewhere between a full blown college classes and high school.

As for "social interaction"? Look, be serious with yourself. Undergraduate college education is as much a beerfest as it is anything else. For someone who's educationally driven, undergraduate socialization isn't something they need. They're already mature, they have their priorities straight, and they're looking forward to dealing with knowledgeable students who take their education seriously. You'll find more of those in Graduate classes.

4. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

60 hours in one year? That's ridiculous. I came out of high school with 12 hours personally, and it could've been more, like bg if I wanted it bad enough.

Must be nice to not have to have a job while you're in school, hell I'd probably graduate in 2-3 years if it weren't for that.

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Sure you're gonna make it to college?

6. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

You're one to talk. D2 isn't a college course. LOL.

7. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

If you were a creative college professor, you could make it a course.

8. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't but his *** each time he hops.

9. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I myself am on the 5 1/2 year plan, things are more exciting that way. Of course, had I listened to everyone else, I would have taken HS more seriously and attempted some AP classes for college credit. It also would have helped to know what I wanted to go to college for too, instead of changing my mind halfway through.

10. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

The problem isn't that this kid didn't get the "college experience" per se or that he's bound to fail, but that he went through like he was sure about what he wanted to do. At some point in his graduate studies, he's going to hit his intellectual ceiling and realize there was more to life than school or that there were interesting academic avenues to explore. But by then, all he'll have is the one narrow track he's probably been following all his life for the sake of seeing how far and fast he could go down it; and the end of that road is never as exciting as the ones less travelled.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I think you mean butt.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Hah! I did the "get 30 hours' worth of credits from AP tests, and still take five years to get through" plan. I highly recommend it. Failing classes and taking a year off to work retail in San Francisco only adds to the attractiveness of this option.

EDIT: Also, Moosashi is right about the whole Doogie Howser aspect of this. The kid might be intelligent, but he ain't smart. Or something like that.

13. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I meant 'bust'. Damn it. :(

14. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr IncGamers Member

i went into college with 22 credit hours, and graduated in 4 years, heh. Never took more than 15 hours a semester. Most of the time, I took 12, one semester I took 6. I think that type of workload is generational, though.

My father talks about how he took at least 20 hours every semester, and as many as 25 in one, I think. He graduated with an engineering degree in 3 1/2 years.

I agree with the original poster in his comment about how individuals often need that itme to mature and prepare themselves for the so-called "real world." I was involved with university housing for 3 of my 4 years in college, and during my last year, we were briefed on a growing trend among incoming freshman. Apparently, incoming classes are coming in with higher GPA's than ever before, but lacking in other vitally important areas.

We were told we--as resident assistants--had to cater to a new breed of student who would stay in his room all day, playing video games, and refusing to socialize or form friendships. I don't know how true all of that is, but I can say with certainty that every year, on many occassions, I found myself asking, "how can these kids be this immature?" I can only imagine if the kids who shoot people outside of their windows with paintball guns or the ones who take a dump in the dorm hallways were found in professional situations.

As a law student, I can only say, "the opportunity for work seems promising."

15. chrislindsay

chrislindsay IncGamers Member

I started with about 45 credit hours (second semester sophomore--I did a lot of APs), but it´s still going to take me 4 (5?) years to graduate, because I am taking a year off to study abroad and work...

My dad told me the same stuff about how he took 25 credits every semester... sounds fun... the most I´ve done is 16 =)

16. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

No.

I've seen something similar once. When I did my first semester at another university one guy did three times the normal work in one semester. You can get a BA or BS in three years here, so he could have graduated in a year if he'd kept it up. He was a tech student out to prove that the humanities students were lazy and inneffective. He does have something of a point. I've sometimes felt that the pace was a bit sluggish on some courses. What I realized, and he didn't, is that you're free to read on your own if you've got spare time and are looking to learn. Some humanities courses have very few scheduled classes and very easy exams, but people who are serious about and interested in their education sometimes do more than the bare minimum required to pass the course.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I could've done my undergraduate in a year if I could've cut all the crap out of it...

18. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I often wonder why these youths are so fascinated with hurrying with their lives. My message is don't worry. The nagging boss, 60 hours work weeks, 1 week of vacation, traffic, mortgage, community fees, student loan payments, weddings, and funerals will all be there whether you graduate in 1 year or 5 years. No one will take such pleasures away from you.

Have fun in life. Get laid. Have a couple of beers. Chase women. Dream of big dreams. When you reach middle age, you'll realize that college was the best time of your life.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I didn't have any fun in undergrad - you have lots of free time but no money to do anything with it. And then when you're working you have lots of money and no time to spend any of it. And then you retire and you're too old to enjoy any of it.

Stupid everything... hate world, revenge soon...

20. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I'm an undergrad, with a job, and free time on weekends. Its working out pretty good so far.