Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Unique Armors - mostly crappy?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by det, Mar 13, 2004.

1. det

det IncGamers Member

Unique Armors - mostly crappy?

Is it just me? Yesterday Baal NM dropped a Unique Embossed Plate for me. Not knowing what it was, I cheered.

Disappointment on id: Atmas Wail: Enhanced def, Max Mana 15%, 20% MF.

So I go and check out the unique armors on AS and it seems like many, if not most of them are totally useless.

Okay, Twitchthrow, Goldskin, great for normal and a bit of NM. Vipermagi, Ormus and Tyraels Might...we all like to have one. Duriels Shell, Shaftstop - I switch them between all my characters.

But then there is Corpsemourn, Leviathan, Gladiators Bane, Spirit Forge, Atmas Wail, Black Hades, Iron Pelt, Steel Carapace...and the useful mods in relation to the scarcety and requirements just eludes me. Even the odd spells on it or spells triggered will be expensive to repair or trigger only when you get hit (great tactic in Hell).

So...maybe you found some use here, that I totally overlooked :scratch:

2. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Levi is cool because it makes you look like a ninja turtle.
    Spirit Forge and Black Hades can be nice if socketed nicely.
    And you're forgetting Valor...
    Spirit shroud and Que-hagens are both substitutes for viper in some situations (mostly SC situations where you don't need the resists as much, but hey...)

3. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

Rich people :rant: j/k

A lot of the unique armours have nice mods, but the problem is that there are so many better things. I'm still happy with an Iceblink I've found, which is getting my pally through the first acts of nightmare. Freezing mod is just awesome.

And on my old sorc (1.09) I had a viper and a darkshroud. You notice the difference when some dimwit runs past you with Big D's pink lightning all over him ;).

Spirit forge has 2 customisable sockets, life, strenght and fire damage. Nice for any melee sorc or kicker assassin.

Guardian angel is THE armour for paladins.

Black hades is a very nice MF armour for melee chars (3 pTopazes in the sockets) with the ED an AR to demons. Especially for barbs and sins, that can get resis from skills. The ed even works with kicks. (did I mention I love kicksins :D).

It's just too bad that when you compare them with a jewelers armour of the whale, or better, a jewelers blood armour (my ultimate dream to have), or one of these new 1.10 armours. But you can't deny that some armours, though not the best n the game, can get you trough hell and back ;).

4. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, you might note that I left Guardian Angel and Que Hegans out on purpose, they are not that bad indeed.

Its just those real high lv armours that also have insane reqs that seem so pointless. And looking like a Ninja turtle is really no argument pro Levi :lol:

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

What if you use a ribcracker and a tal's mask (purple) to add to the illusion?
    You listed other good armors is why que-hagen's, GA, and valor got listed by me and kardinaal I believe ^_^

6. det

det IncGamers Member

Now there's an argument for the Ninja Turtle :lol:

The second part of your statement I did not understand.

Shame that Twitch only adds 59 defense and not 59% defense or I would upgrade that to elite right away..and socket it

7. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

The iron pelt is not that bad/ the damage resist is always nice. Lots of armours upgraded actually turn out very nice. Upgraded ice myself its not that bad.

8. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

The Glad's Bane is an awesome armor. Sure, it is far worse than Shaftstop if you are pvp'ing against a WW barb. But if you are talking about pvm'ing against the burning archers in hell blood foothills, there is no better armor. BTW, it is good against buring souls too (MDR works on elemental attacks).

9. DarkHoly

DarkHoly IncGamers Member

You must realize that a lot of the "older" uniques were designed before Lod, and thus weren't aimed to be used to compensate with huge resistance drops in hell (only 40 or 50% in classic). In addition, I know that often times I'd die to have those few sparse charges of corpse explosion on corpsemourn, and the defense isn't shabby either(if only it was usable in Classic:(). Take for instance Heavenly garb, next to useless in LoD, and fairly sought after by casters in classic. Spectral shard, THE item to have for any sorceress or hammerdin (and even some Necro variants), also looked over often times in LoD. And what about Hawkmail? I use that exclusively on my PvP necro for dueling cold sorceresses. Above all, some things just look plain cool, and what better use for an item than bragging to your friends?

-Dark

10. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

At least some of the exceptional unique armors CAN be good, such as vipermagi, skullders, duriel's shell.

Now consider the exceptional unique gloves, and there basically isn't one worth even wasting an ID scroll on. They ALL sux. With frosts, bloodfist, chance guards and magefists for normal ones, you'd think the exceptional ones wouldn't be so bad. At least they added some decent elite gloves in 1.10 but I haven't found any.

11. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

yeah, spirit forge is great with all its life, and Levi is awsome cuz it has a bajillion defence. :drool:

12. det

det IncGamers Member

I know it used to be great in (was it 1.07) when MDR was applied agains elemental damage per frame (so basically MDR was applied 25 times per second) and thus helped a lot, but IIRC that was changed at a point. Does it work that well against in 1.10. Sounds like you have tried it out.

Well that was just my line...with vipermagi, duriel's shell, Shaft, which seem comparably easier to find, who needs a Leviathan. One would just expect that some of those high armours have some awesome mods as well (like the lifetap on Draculs).

Exeptional gloves :scratch: I used Venom grip quite long on my CB kicker (has 5% CB and 5% ll which is nice) and I know that Hellmouth and Lavagout are searched after by zons (or at least used to be for me :lol: )

But I excuse them from my "rant" as they are exeptional and there are some nice elite gloves. However my drift with armors was: Nice exeptionals..who needs (most) elites.

13. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Some people are too freakin spoiled after a while. If you measure everything against shaftstop or vipermagi, etc. then practically every armor will seem "crap" to you. Perhaps you should remember that not everyone is swimming in unique items and can't just pick and choose whatever they wish at any time!

Edit - Gladiator's bane is STILL a horribly underrated armor. I still believe it is the best merc armor in the game. Act2 mercs are very dependent on cbf and unless you want to start shoving cham runes into your merc equipment sockets glad's bane will provide that cbf that he needs. That and an ethereal version packs over 2.7k defense, is lightweight and also gives a hefty 30% fhr AND a nice amount of pdr/mdr (flat amounts but they still matter against light hitting enemies). An act2 merc without decent fhr will be stunned in a pack and quickly get mowed down because he can't react in time and no amount of 246225125% life leech will save him then. I personally love this armor on characters or mercs.

14. det

det IncGamers Member

:lol: Peace

I knew that remark would come my way sooner or later...and I have directed it towards other ppl..so fair is fair.

But read between the lines (actually its pretty open) TC wise chances are much higher that you will find a Duriels Shell or a Shaft (had one pop up from a chest, traded one for my Hellforge NM reward). Those and a Vipermagi just are fantastic "mid lv" items that others, much higher and harder to find pale in comparison.

I admit, in a way my argument is going the way of "Bloodravens Charge suxx" (it does, hehe) or "Thunderstroke is crap compared to Titans".

I guess if I never had found a Duri, Shaft or Viper but only the Atmas Wail that I did find, I'd be much happier :)

But i also asked if ppl found a use for those armors that I found crappy..and ppl have given me ideas why they still can be great ===> Ninja Turtle build :lol:

15. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Venom Grip is great. Just compare to Steelrend, Venom Grip is much better. With this glove, there's not much incentive to cube blood gloves besides hoping to get +2 bow skills (or +2 matial arts).

16. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

CourpseMourn is also rather nice on Mercs. And don't even get me started about IronPelt... if I could only find a near-perfect one to upgrade.

17. det

det IncGamers Member

Like I said (about Venomgrip)...but Steelrend also has 40% and more ED (IIRC)..so thats not too shabby

18. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

Agreed. My lvl 80 Pally is still using his near perfect Iron Pelt (20 PDR), socketed with a SOL for 7 more PDR.

Add that with my SOL runed Gerkes, +2 Combat 24 PDR ammy, 11% Verdungos and 68% Kira's... (add in the 30 MDR as well)

In Worldstone NM, I literally take NO damage whatsoever. I was surrounded by no less than 30 monsters, including 4 Champion Glooms, while AMPed. My life meter didn't budge.

I fare very well in most of Hell as well. Tiny bits of damage here and there, but nothing even worth a Health potion, with a meager 5% LL.

PDR = 73
    PDR% = 11
    MDR = 30
    Resists hoover around 70%

Your 'average' ACT 5 monster in Hell hits for about 100 damage (Moon Lord 74-139 HELL). Which works out to about 24 damage (If they get past my defense and block).

My 20 PDR Glad Bane is waiting for lvl 85. It's tasty, give it a try. (Though the ammy will be a tough one to find).

Boots

19. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

Twitchroe Wire Fleece socketed with something delicious like um, ber, cham, ed/max, ed/ias, or even a P ruby is the sexiest armor in the entire game. Doesn't make it the best armor, just the sexiest. And style is more important than living. Because what's the point of living if you can't be trendy as you kill things?

I remember back in 1.09, there was a huge debate about the best armors to use for PvP MA assassins (this was in SC mind you). There was an entire camp of duelers that felt that Twitch was best armor because it has ias, blocking and dual stat. A lot of people simply posted "Yeah but 59 defense? Ouch."

Now with upgrading, I am proud to say that I own a P-Ruby Twitchroe Trellised armor, which for level 30, and with 200 something defense, outdoes just about any armor it's level. If I had the spare runes, I would upgrade it again.

20. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

What about Crow Caw? That's not a half-bad armor.

I would like to believe that the best armor in the game for melee is the one you find, make yourself, or buy from a vendor (on a blue moon day).

Remember that rares are incredibly good in 1.10. I've found several with the Godly mod on them (+100-200% enhanced def) with >190% enh. def. Just about flipped out when I found my Godly Wire Fleece, and it was ethereal and 198% def. Yes, over 2000 defense for the str req of 101. Not a bad armor, and highly useful when leveling in NM.