Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Understanding POISON

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Papirossa, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Papirossa

Papirossa IncGamers Member

Understanding POISON

Do someone really knows how poison works in latest Diablo LoD version?
    How different poison damage sources (charms.. jewels...) stack in time and damage?
    And how do these stack with skills such Poison Dagger o Amazon's and Druid's poison attacks?

I carefully read the better guid I found, that is Daggermancer Guide by darnocpdx (http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=582), but when I compare it with the latest "Complete Poison Damage Calculator" found on DiabloII.net downloads page I get defferent results. That calculator is based on an arcticle by Printhanox on 1.09. Is this the problem? And is "The Toa of Poison" up-to date?

HEEEEELP!!!

2. Llathias

Llathias Banned

This thread, especially the link in post #7 contains very thorough information about how poison works in D2 LoD v1.10+.

I hope it answers all your questions.

3. Papirossa

Alas, both confirmations and confusions from the nice limk you pointed me to!

This seems to confirm how poison damage from gear works:

"All poison damage has two properties- damage rate (basically, damage per second), and duration (in seconds). Total poison damage = damage rate (in d/s) times duration (in s). If you have multiple sources of gear-based poison damage, then the resulting poison will deal damage equal to the SUM of all damage rates, over the average duration of all the items."

But this is really different from darnocpdx's theory

"With PD, the damage rate will be the TOTAL of all damage rates, while the poison duration will be the average of all the poison durations- with one huge caveat. Poison Dagger's duration gets added, but PD itself DOES NOT COUNT AS A SOURCE. As a result, if you have a 10 second PD and a pair of 2 second poison damage small charms, your final poison duration will be (10 + 2 + 2) / (2)- because there are only "two" sources of poison damage (remember, PD doesn't count as a source when determining duration)."

So my cry for help is still sounding.

4. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Yes, that's one part that confused me as well. It shouldn't be very difficult to test though: just load a necromancer with any number of points in pdagger and a long duration poison source, then use a stopwatch to determine how long a zero-poison-resistant monster stays green.

I might actually try this myself, if you can wait for a few hours.

5. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Its been a while since I read that Daggermancer guide and the Tao of Poison but I seem to recall that one of them specificly said that you should not use Poison Damage Calculators.

-hps

6. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

As far as I understand, PD does not count as source, so it means than PD does not count in the average of the Poison Duration.

For example:

a PD skill of 100 damage over 6 seconds
    a poison charm with 100 damage over 9 seconds
    another poison charm with 100 damage over 8 seconds

The average will be: (6 + 9 + 8)= 23
    Now this is divided between the damage sources (2): 23/2 = 11 seconds

That's because PD although adds duration it does not count as source, so when dividing it does not count

7. Papirossa

Ok I'm growing a Daggermancer; it's lev 18 now, and I did several tests.

As Poison Dagger is quite powerful, I could not make reliable tests on DAMAGE, as every creature Whose health I know dies way before poison effect is over.

About DURATION, it looks like darnocpdx work is really accurate.
    So for now i can confirm that Poison Dagger duration ADDS to the average of OTHER sources duration. This is really nice. The example in darnocpdx guide so looks correct.

I'll put another here, which I verified:

I'm using now a dagger socketed with an emerald: 40 damage over 5 secs.
    My Poison Dagger skill il lev 8: 82-103 damage over 4.8 secs.

Now, if I use Dagger only, or Poison Dagger skill only (with a normal knife), the creature is infected for about 5 secs. Is I use Poison Dagger AND the socketed dagger, duration is about 10 secs!

If I use also two Great Charms of Poison (5 damage over 3 seconds each), using darnocpdx work I have (5+3+3)/3 secs (the average of sources duration) PLUS 4.8 secs from Poison Dagger skill.
    The result is 8.47 secs, a lower duration confirmed by play.
    There seem to be a benefit in damage per second and overall damage, tough, and this too seems to confirm darnocpdx work.

In those two examples, if I'd apply "Toa of poison" math I would obtain
    1st) (5+4.8)/1=9.8 which is misleadingly the same
    2nd) (5+3+3+4.8)/3=5.27 which is really different and NOT confirmed by play.

So until now my tests confirmed darnocpdx work, especially about duration.