Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Under powered pally build - how well it will work?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DeathMaster, Oct 27, 2006.

1. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Under powered pally build - how well it will work?

I was thinking a none standard build. The idea is to build a ranger/smiter hybrid using conviction aura. Merc will be HF.

Core skill piont like: 20 conviction, 20 holy shield, 20 smite, 1 redemption, +12 pre-req.

Total skill points would only be 73, wich allows some room for improve/extra fun.

Ranged attack will be some sort of throw weapon, targetting demon's arch/lacerator for end-game weapon.

I think he will be safe to play in HC, slow killing, but fun build.

Any suggestion/improvement?

2. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Since Smite ignores target's defense and doesn't carry over elemental damage, I think the combination Smite + Conviction isn't too appealing. You'll still have two decent attacks, so I think it's doable.

Why not go; 20HF, 20RC, 20HS and the rest in Smite? That together with a Might or BA merc would turn the character into a kind of matrix smiter, with throw abilities. Smite won't carry the elemental damage but by slowing down monsters HF at least synergize smite defensively. An Achilles’ heel might be OKs, since they're CI.

Anyway. I think Smite will do well without damage aura as long as you load up with some CB.

3. DeathMaster

The idea is to have some fun while still have a chance to complete my long term goal - at least one guardian each class. So far I pretty much dislike any standard pally build, in fact I don't really like pally at all. So the conviction is to allow he can get away with low AR + better deal with PIs.

That will mean I have to total relay on merc to hit, and limit my gears. I always plan for the worst so, it is out.

OKs are the major reason I don't like to play melee build in HC. Apart from barb which has zerk, and dr00d which at least has "extra protection" - cannot be killed in wolf/bear form. Smite will be for boss/single target (as long as no OK), and ranged attack everything else (with KB, at least I will have some crowd control).

4. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

If you are going to use smite for single target / boss only purpose you don't even need to max smite (if you have plenty of points, it does add damage). Just add some Crushing blow and put one (or a few) point in fanatism (for the speed).

Randall

5. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Maybe Glimmershed's with the conviction?

6. DeathMaster

Nice idea. this build will have enough spare points if he can survive that long. Which way would give me slightly more damage? Max smite or 1 point smite + max fanat?

I can see the advantage of max fanat, it would give merc more power.

more points in smite gives longer stun time, which could be handy.

7. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Conviction Zealot will be the best if you are extremely poor.

Conviction Zealot with Glimmershred is among the cheapest most effective hell going builds ever.

8. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Conviction + Gimmershreds + Tiamat's Rebuke + Zeal = Insane killing speed. Enough said.

9. DeathMaster

You guys try to drag me back to zeal ...

Well, it is a nice idea to try since all I need is one hard point in zeal.

However, I have two related questions:

1. zeal with range 1 weapon, people keep saying the range could be annoying. I have done range 2 (PB) before. How bad is range 1 compare to range 2?

2. zeal with KB doesn't sound like ideal, I guess in that case I must keep a pair of zeal glove ready for switch. Or can zeal live with KB and range 1 weapon at all?

Forgot to say, the shield spot is fixed, I "must" use spirit RW in order to reach lvl25 conviction. Or I wouldn't mind someone can donate a clean HC HoZ :scratch: