Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

UNDEAD

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Panos, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Panos

Panos IncGamers Member

Diablo II, Hell
    A question I had from the very beginning of the game:
    Who is considered to be undead? I thought every monster was undead.
    When the weapon says 50% damage to undead what is the meaning of this? Against whom? 50% of the physical or the elemental or the magic damage?

I have 2 helmets to choose. The 1 says 50%damage to undead (among other things) and the other 80 poison damage for 100 seconds. I wonder which one does more damage and to whom

2. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

It will say under their name what monster type they are e.g. Demon, Undead, Minion etc.

Generally skeletons, zombies, ghosts are the most common Undead types.

3. el shendee

el shendee IncGamers Member

Yes, lower monsters such as the Travincal council or even the Fallen from Act 1 count as demons, as long as it says that below their name, as Twibz.

When putting your cursor on an enemy, it shows the life bar with the enmy's name on it, and the eneme's characteristics below it. The first is the enemy type, and any other (such as "raises undead" for the giant mummies from Act 2) come after that. A good thing, especially considering a particular kind of enemy can fall into one type or other depending on the particular race (for example, most races of vultures are animals, but one of them is undead and another is demon), so it isn't obvious at sight.

It's something I liked in Diablo 2, the enemy types are clear, which is important considering there are item affixes and skill effecs that depend on them. Diablo 3 iniially did it well too, but Reaper of Souls came and messed it up, adding monsters that apparently classified as "reaper", "ancient beast" and so. I've never understood if it's a whole new type of enemy, or the tooltip is lying and they're actually one of the old enemy types.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. el shendee

If the prefix doesn't appear, it's because the monster is an Animal (just like in the case of the Cow King).

I wouldn't recommend killing the Cow King, killing him prevents you from opening a portal to the Cow Level in that difficulty. Kill just the regular cows, they can also drop the set pieces.

And there are many enemies classified as Undead, not just zombies. Act 2 in particular is full of undead monsters, but they're all over the game. Skeletons, ghosts, vampires, mummies, giant mummies, bone fetishes, will-o-the-wisps, finger mages, knights, the reanimated horde... All those are undead.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  5. Panos

Panos IncGamers Member

Well to be honest, what i need to know is who is NOT undead. Whom does this weapon NOT affect.
    And the truth is 50% damage from what? all the weapons? the physical, the elemental, the magical gear?
    And again to be honest I c more damage from the poison that the 50%...

Correction: 8 seconds poison damage, not 100.

6. el shendee

All mace-type weapons have an inherent damage bonus against undead, which only applies to the weapon's physical damage. Magical items can roll with a affix with provides a similar damage bonus, as well as an attack rating bonus against undead.

There's also a similar affix in magical items that provided a damage and attack rating bonus against demons, instead of undead.