[Build] Unconventional pet/poison build

Thrakhath

Diabloii.Net Member
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fVSUjT!Zca!cbZZZY

Here is my attempt at a build which makes Zombie Bears work without Vision Quest.

The intention with Sacrifice is to use dogs like mana potions. Every twentieth enemy equals 294 mana with Circle of Life, and Mass Confusion provides additional manadogs if necessary. Devouring Swarm and Honoured Guest generate extra mana, while Devouring Swarm and Big Stinker keep Bad Medicine up.

I am NOT trying to keep dogs alive, but the build would need high intelligence and a focus on Armour over Vitality to keep the Gargantuan alive.

What do you think? Would it work?

LucianDK

Diabloii.Net Member
You are essentially using a whole skill slot and a passive, in order to blow up a low chance to proc dog. Which might beeline for an enemy and getting one shot. Theres better ways of getting mana out there.

Thrakhath

Diabloii.Net Member
Like what? Vision Quest seems too costly to me, and few other skills generate mana in large quantities.

If zombie dogs could survive a bit, this would definitely work... But it sounds like even with two supporting passives, they really can't yet.

LucianDK

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with you about vision quest, just too demanding in CD rolling. Ive heard quite good words about Locust Swarm with the mana rune, though it leaves you boned when facing single bosses, which disqualifies it imo. Spirit Walk - Honored Guest is always popular as its one of the few scaling mana regen tools, and theres Blood ritual and spiritual attunement to mitigate mana costs. Though I wish big bad vodoo could be cast more often, in particular rain dance.

Also Gruesome Feast is fairly bad for mana recovery, requiring you to be healed by health globes to get mana :/

But equipment with mana regen will help the witch doctor quite a lot, as many of his skills is overcosted and he will be dry in few casts and take long time to recover.

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
Bosses should never be an argument for a build, just respec and fight them.

Darksilanus

Diabloii.Net Member
Wouldn't you want to take Zombie Handler passive over circle of life? I like the concept of new zombie dogs popping up with enemy kills, but in my experience, it just doesn't seem that 5% proc often enough to make it useful. Better to have the extra zombie dog on cast and a little more survivability for Garg and ZD with handler, I would think?

Starving_Poet

Diabloii.Net Member
Wouldn't you want to take Zombie Handler passive over circle of life? I like the concept of new zombie dogs popping up with enemy kills, but in my experience, it just doesn't seem that 5% proc often enough to make it useful. Better to have the extra zombie dog on cast and a little more survivability for Garg and ZD with handler, I would think?
The 4th dog is useful, especially when orb hunting - but theextra 20% hp isnt really useful when the dogs have a pretty teeny life pool to begin with. If you wanted survivabilty, I might swap out bad medicine for sycophant just for target obfuscation.. But neither surpass circle based on the intent of this build.

Thrakhath

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't actually use the Summon Zombie Dog skill. My reasoning is that, from a mana-generating perspective, 4 dogs sacrificed once a minute is pretty useless, whereas one sacrificed every 20 seconds is incredibly useful. Zombie Handler only makes sense with the actual summoning skill, in my opinion.

LucianDK

Diabloii.Net Member
Still too low a chance to be able to steadilly rely on it, plus still having issues with the dog getting snuffed out before it can be sacrificed. Especially since you cant tell pets to stand back. And being a single dog it will get all the attention of enemies when it charges forward.