Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Intolerance, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Unbelievable

I began semi-frequenting expectnothing.com a couple years ago (stumbled upon it through the formus of the-company-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-here). He used to post a lot of funny links/pics, but he has gotten a lot more political lately. It seems that I only go back these days to laugh in disbelief at some of the crap that he posts.

Today's topic that utterly amazed me:

He is serious, by the way.

Words fail me.

2. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Where did he get the number?

3. Intolerance

He didn't bother posting a source. I almost have to believe that he just posts stuff like that as flamebait. Could anyone be that ignorant?

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

You'd be surprised. Hellfire.. Sehpiroth... etc. Typical bigotry and none too uncommon unfortunately.

5. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

You have to admit though that most cristians are not treated with much respect in this forum. I've heard their beliefs and themselves called less that friendly things in times past.

They do take a great deal of flack for stating what they believe.

6. Intolerance

I saw a few of Hellfire's posts. I dismissed him as a troll, just fanning flames and looking to get under people's skin. I never actually thought that he was being serious.

7. Intolerance

Well, I couldn't care less if "Christians" was replaced with anything else, like, for example "White" or "Wealthy" or "Straight" or "Male" or "In-shape". I definitely didn't mean to attack Christians, but rather to point out how weak his point was.

8. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I understand and I accept that no specifics were offered. I was simply pointing out that noone can deny that there is a very prevalent bias against cristians and this forum is not the exception to the rule.

9. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Isn't is "Christians" and no "cristians"

10. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

That´s the first thing I thought when I read the quote.

GF:82% of Americans describe themselves as Christians. If that's the case, than why do we have to put up with so much crap from the 18%!

Dross: Short answer... because genocide is bad.

He´s an idiot if he can´t see where that kind of reasoning ultimately leads.

11. DuncanID

DuncanID IncGamers Member

I'm certain I'm going to regret making THIS my return post, but Dross, Intolerance, Anakha, are you actually defending the idea that people should be required to "take crap" simply because they are in the majority?

I've been to expectnothing.com before, and given enough time "Nebuchadnezzar" will most likely say something to expose his bias, or argue that all other churches should be expelled from America, or something similar. At this point though, all he's stated is that Christians shouldn't have to "take crap". He very well could mean something totally intolerant and without reasoning, but at this point he could also simply be referring to the anti-Christian bias this forum's own moderator mentions.

Christians have been persecuted in the past. Christians have certainly done their share of persecuting as well. I don't think either justifies future persecution.

If you want to question the 82% figure, by all means do so, but given the very generic statement "take crap," I don't understand how you can accuse "Nebuchadnezzar" of bigotry, ignorance or genocide(!!!) without adding proof to his point. Or, as I said earlier, does being in the majority mean one should have to "take crap?"

12. Drosselmeier

Well... I´m not accusing Nebuchadnezzar of genocide. I´m just pointing out what that kind of thinking leads to, ultimately.

I don´t think he´s upset about christians being made fun of, defamed or things like that. I think he´s upset about christian values and norms being challenged.

I certainly don´t agree with anyone being persecuted because of their religious beliefs. Neither do I agree with religious dogma being used as a tool to bludgeon political opponents and a majority opressing a minority. That´s why Neb is an idiot. Because he thinks that it´s the majoritys right to silence the minority.

Or maybe I just read him wrong.

13. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

are you assuming christians generally use their beliefs to "bludgeon political opponents"? Most christians don't operate that way but it is the predominant stereotype.

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Perhaps he's just upset that such a small minority seems to have a very large influence.

Anyhow, that figure doesn't mean much. How many Romans do you think call themselves Roman Catholic? I'd imagine the figure is really really high. How many actually practice? Probably much lower.

15. Drosselmeier

Dantose is telling me that..?

16. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

Freet, I think you are right in saying that

"You have to admit though that most cristians are not treated with much respect in this forum. I've heard their beliefs and themselves called less that friendly things in times past."

But you have to (well you dont have to...) realize that very often the Christian views they are attacking are fundamentalist ones, not Christianity itself (if they are, well thats another story, because that makes them no better than what they are attacking). Views like what "Expectnothing" expressed are what caused the Halocaust, and the mass lynchings in the south. Views like that are either flamebait, or rediculously racist.

I dont know what im trying to prove...

17. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

56% Protestant
    28% catholic
    2% jewish
    6% other
    8% none or no response
    70% are church or synagouge members

this means 84% of the population is christian of some sort

18. thejdawg2

Where did you get that statistic from?

And Judaism isn't Christianity, as they don't believe Christ was the son of God.

19. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yeah, but 56 + 28 is 84 :idea:

20. thejdawg2

Oops. My fault, I didn't even think to add those up.

But where is the stat from? I'm not saying it isn't true, but without a cite, I am hesistant to say it is true.