Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

unable to save uninstall data file?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by franzferdinand, Oct 5, 2006.

1. franzferdinand

franzferdinand IncGamers Member

unable to save uninstall data file?

I had diablo 2 installed on my computer b4 but it got deleted. now when i try to install it a message pops up saying "unable to save uninstall data file. Installation aborted." Help on how to fix this would be greatly appriciated.

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

In your windows directory, there will be three files that were not removed from your previous installation, and will need to be removed manually before you can re-install. These files are:

DIIunin
    DIIunin.exe
    DIIunin.dat

Yes, the first file listed has no extension. Delete these files (or simply move them out of the windows directory) and try to install the game again.

3. Wesbob

Wesbob IncGamers Member

Re: unable to save uninstall data file?

ok im having the same error message but not really the same problem
    i wanted to play diablo 2 and when i tried to install it the same error message came up "unable to save uninstall data file" this may have to do with me trying this on a microsoft vista OS but im very confused

thanks for the help

4. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Are you installing with administrator privileges?

5. grgagrg

grgagrg IncGamers Member

A lot of people reports problems with diablo 2 under vista. I heard d2 & vista are not very compatible.

6. HELPxMExPLZ

HELPxMExPLZ IncGamers Member

When i try to install diablo 2 it says (after the prompt) that it is "unable to save data file. installation aborted." I tried to delete the two "DIIunin" one was an application and other a shortcut, but there was no DIIunin.exe or .dat so i don't know and it i go to my programs it says that i could still unistall it, but if i do it says that "File C:\WINDOWS\DIIUnin,dat not found" so i dont know... --- i have installed it fine before and all of a sudden i log on and it says that it couldn't identify verson so i uninstalled it and this stuff above happened. =\ some1 plz help

7. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

Try installing with admin rights. The "cannot identify game version" error means that the game's data files are corrupted.

8. Oddly

Oddly IncGamers Member

So instead of making a new topic, I did some Necromanci, and brought this one back to life!

To the point; I tried to install D2, and got this error message, "Unable to save uninstall data file. Installation aborted." Not very cool.. This was the second time I had tried though, the first time I got past the Name and CD-Key fields and to the installation progress bars, which would not move. I exited the install, to try again, and thats when I recieved said error.

I have tried the above methods, to no avail. The three mentioned files don't exist on my hard-drive or network; since I am trying to install this on my work PC, I searched that too. I was thinking of just straight burning my install directory from my home PC to my work one. Would this work? Are there other solutions? Any help or suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

-Odd

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. KrayLord

KrayLord IncGamers Member

Sorry for Bumping this, i know it is 4 years old. And after going through this same hell with no visible solution. I finally got mine working.

I don't know if the OP has resolved this or even cares anymore, but for anyone out there searching for a solution to this, I resolved mine.

Mine was a block by my antivirus not allowing complete access to the setup.exe. Disabling it temporarily or allowing access to the executive file will most probably let it install again.

Archone likes this.