Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Unable to enjoy this game

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Romanov77a, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Romanov77a

Romanov77a Diabloii.Net Member

Hi guys.

I closely followed the development of this game and I was so excited when it finally was released.

In these years, the game changed much, mostly for the better, but there's always been a companion who never left me while playing and made my experience a real misery.

This companion stuck to me worse than a over-caring Templar, and it is "STUTTERS".

The stutters were present in the Beta. In Vanilla. In Ros.
    They survived countless patches, a file-system change a whole pc upgrade on my part.

"Luckily", I was not alone: just type "Diablo 3 stutters" on google and you will have enough reading material for a lifetime.

The issue is totally unrelated to the machine.
    I won't even post my specs (which are way above recommended) as there's people having analogous issues with top of the line machines with SSD.

We tried countless workarounds, most of them being pure placebo.
    Some of us even tried to run the game from USB sticks, in order to reduce it.

Frankly, I have come to the point that I am wasting more time trying solutions than actually playing the game.
    Here's a very small list of the stuff we tried:

-Updated all drivers
    -Made sure the machine is free from viruses
    -Selective start-up
    -Defragged hard drive
    -Moved diablo 3 to a flash drive
    -Cleaned registry
    -Uninstalled virus protection and disabled firewall
    -Made sure cores were unlocked
    -Made sure bios was up to date
    -Disabled IntelSpeedStep in the bios
    -Disabled CPU thermal throttling in the bios
    -Changed power plan to high performance having the minimum and maximum cpu power set to 100% in the plan
    -Checked disc for errors
    -Reset bios settings to default
    -Changed countless settings in d3prefs as suggested in other threads
    -Reset nvidia control panel settings
    -Changed nvidia control panel power saving setting to high performance

None of this worked.

General consensus is that the game has some serious trouble loading the assets.
    Even sounds can cause stutters: my Templar yells something = half second stutter.
    The stutters also seems to be unrelated to monster density as they happen even while alone in town and browsing the inventory.

On top of this, many people say that there's something terribly wrong the V-sync implementation.

There's a sticky thread on B.net US and new threads keep popping very often.
    Same on EU, except that there's no sticky because EU is a wasteland.
    Other Internet sources are flooded by people complaining about this (es: reddit).

So, what is Blizzard response on this? Nothing, they didn't even acknowledged the issue.

I was wondering...could this site "sponsor" this problem so that the devs might finally notice it and do something about it?

2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

It would be helpful if you could post a video of this happening. Would be helpful to see it to make a suggestion to help you. It has never happened to me but there could be any number of reasons why it happens to you and not me.

I have seen several post at Battlenet about stuttering and many have suggestions on how to fix. I am not sure what we could do here at this site. We can discuss it here and maybe even sticky the thread but I don't think it would make any difference in the near term.

The problem Blizzard faces is that it is not an "always on" problem. It only affects certain users and machines. Finding commonality between all of those configurations would be near impossible. Troubleshooting this issue from their standpoint is very time consuming and I can understand their reluctance to do so.

3. Romanov77a

Replicating the issue shouldn't be too hard, Blizzard has huge resources and could try several harware-software combos.
    Keep in mind that I had the problem even when my machine was freshly formatted, there was just Windows 8.1 and Diablo 3, no other stuff, not even the bloatware that usually come with a new OS.

Anyway, here's a video of guy walking around the Survivor's Enclave and having the issue.
    The stutters are really random as you can see and can be very fast (few milliseconds) to whole seconds.
    Keep in mind that in battle things can get much worse.

4. Valeli

Valeli Diabloii.Net Member

I don't have any fix.

Are you positive it's with the game and not with your internet/routing though? I had an issue with another game which, like yours, was shared by a sizable number of people (clearly a tiny minority of overall players, but more than enough to make it obvious I wasn't alone when googling it). It was sort of a stuttering thing too, which made the game completely unplayable.

In my case, I was never able to fix it (encouraging, I know). It randomly fixed itself after several months before creeping up again a year or so later. Some stuff I read suggested that there was a server used by my internet company that my data had to go through to get to the actual game server, and the secondary server (outside of the game devs/manufacterers control) was crapping things up. They suggested some programs that let you route stuff differently, and brought up weird internet terms I don't get at all like "level three".

Changing the way the data was sent apparently helped several people. Not me. But that's quite possibly because I'm bad with PC's and simply may not have configured stuff properly. (I say bad with PC's but, seriously, I'm sure a majority of Americans would have no clue how to do this as well).

Anyways, sorry to hear about your bad luck. I get how frustrating it is. But it's entirely possible that the issue genuinely is outside of Blizzard's control.

5. Dacar92

The program for tracing your route from your PC to Blizzards server is WinMtr. http://winmtr.net/

I am not an expert in reading the log it generates but if you run it behind D3 and allow it to run for an hour so we can see if there is a server uissue along the way. Post the log here once you stop it. 99% of internet traffic passes through servers that are not owned by your or my ISP. They rent space and some of those servers may not be very well maintained. I have this issue with POE and get disconnects from D3 on a regular basis, too. It is attributable to a server in Dallas that is not owned by AT&T so there is very little they can do about it. Give WinMtr a try and let's see what this community can do for you. See this

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/running-a-traceroute-and-pathping

1. Download WinMTR
    2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
    3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
    4. Run the WinMTR.exe
    5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the "Host" field. You can find the needed IP address in the link above.
    6. Click on "Start" and then launch the game. Once you notice the connection issue, play for about 10 more minutes, minimize the game and click on "Stop".
    7. Click on "Copy text to clipboard" and paste the results into your next forum reply.

6. Romanov77a

Thank you guys, I will try this as soon as I am at home and post results.

I have to say that I am rather skeptical about a connection problem, the in-game latency always seems low (70-80) and I never had problems of sorts with Starcraft 2 or other online games.

Anyway, will try this.
    Who knows, maybe it was this all along.

7. Dacar92

The others games have no bearing on the route your traffic takes to it's end IP. Especially games that Blizzard is not running. A different IP for Starcraft could take a different route, although many of the hops should be the same.

8. Valeli

Valeli Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I only had problems with my single game. Everything else ran like butter.

I did have ridiculous latency on it though, way beyond belief. So it's entirely possible your thing has nothing to do with this.

9. Dacar92

Probably not but it's worth it to check it off as a possibility

10. Romanov77a

Ok, this is the log after ten minutes of play.

I played a rift, then went into the survivors enclave and then teleported around (act 1 hills and Act 3 Arreat Crater).
    The game was ironically rather smoother than usual (probably because of the maps) but during this game time it definetely stuttered, biggest stutters in Survivors' Enclave because apparently Malthael must have planted invisible stutter reapers.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| dsldevice.lan - 0 | 769 | 769 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 0 |

| 100.75.92.1 - 13 | 516 | 453 | 23 | 29 | 128 | 25 |

| 10.3.233.178 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 31 | 110 | 25 |

| 10.251.149.209 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 33 | 61 | 26 |

| 10.251.144.35 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 37 | 127 | 25 |

| 10.251.145.1 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 32 | 60 | 27 |

| 10.247.125.61 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 32 | 65 | 25 |

| 10.251.149.194 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 32 | 62 | 23 |

| 10.3.136.205 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 33 | 63 | 25 |

| 10.3.128.13 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 23 | 34 | 61 | 25 |

| 10.254.12.230 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 27 | 39 | 74 | 28 |

| 10.254.12.21 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 27 | 38 | 127 | 30 |

| 93.57.68.133 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 27 | 38 | 75 | 29 |

| 93.57.68.14 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 36 | 48 | 78 | 37 |

| 89.96.200.194 - 0 | 769 | 769 | 36 | 47 | 119 | 37 |

| mno-b2-link.telia.net - 0 | 769 | 769 | 36 | 43 | 83 | 40 |

| prs-bb3-link.telia.net - 0 | 769 | 769 | 55 | 60 | 99 | 56 |

| adm-bb3-link.telia.net - 1 | 753 | 749 | 63 | 77 | 118 | 65 |

| adm-b2-link.telia.net - 0 | 769 | 769 | 65 | 71 | 107 | 69 |

| No response from host - 100 | 154 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

11. dragon457

dragon457 Diabloii.Net Member

Unlike OP, I've experienced this stuttering starting with 2.2. Before that, my game ran like butter. I don't have a monster PC, but it never gave any problems before. I also have no problems running other games, online or off, and don't experience any kind of stuttering outside of D3.

If you want a really good indication of how bad it can be, here's a video I recorded a while back, that I also posted on the Blizz forum in their dedicated sticky about the stuttering issue.

The recording is kind of potato quality, but my rig is not optimal for recording anyway.

s4nder likes this.
  12. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I always thought it sounded strange blaming these stutters on network rather than client issue. As far as I could understand, based on previous interviews of Blizzard, the client doesn't wait for server confirmation on data it sends. The client will just fire off the packets to Blizz's server, and assume that the server accepts it, and move on with the game. The server will validate whatever is sent to it, and make any corrections that might be needed. I also think this is the biggest source of rubber banding, that there is some form of miss-match (or used to be) between what the client sent and what the server expected to recieve.

All the stutter issues I've seen posted look more like it's hardware/client related than network related. For me the severity of the stutters vary a lot. Sometimes a full evening with next to no stutters, then the next day I can get several stutters within a 20 second timeline. It also didn't used to happen to me back before RoS IIRC, except for on the very horribly optimized maps.

I haven't really tried much in terms of fixing the issue though, so not sure how much help I can be. Although taking a look at your system and program logs in event viewer might be useful. There could be hardware events triggering the stuttering. Look for repeating patterns, specifically when playing D3. I would do some searching on my own and post results, but my computer is way overdue for a clean install.

13. Romanov77a

Dragon, that's very similar to mine.

I think those stutters are really part of a great engine flaw: you can see clearly that while you were fighting an elite pack it was smooth as butter...then you grab a health globe and you get a nice 1/2 second stutter.

Meanwhile, on B.net forums, new threads about it keep popping.

14. Dacar92

Is this something relatively new for you? Or since launch? If it's a software bug or server issue you'd think more people would be reporting issues like this and blizz would have acknowledged it already or even created a patch for it. But the issue is the inconsistency of the reports and pinning it down is nearly impossible.

15. Romanov77a

I had this problem since vanilla beta.

I changed every piece of hardware, except motherboard and cpu.
    But frankly I refuse to belive that an I7 920, despite being rather old, cannot process my character running from portal to blacksmith without hiccups. Especially considering that often it can process me fighting 3 elite packs while being smooth as oil.

16. dragon457

Yep, it's quite the aggravating bastard. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It can happen when fighting tons of mobs, or when you're just standing around in town.

When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, it actually ran just fine after the upgrade...until my computer decided to commit suicide. So, I had to reinstall Win 10, fresh, and it's back to running like garbage. It was the strangest thing; ran horribly after 2.2 update, ran great again by simply upgrading to Win 10 (not a fresh install, but an in-place upgrade), then back to running horribly after reinstalling Windows. AFAIK, all my drivers are the same (Catalyst, etc.). Tons of us have submitted DxDiags and D3Pref files to Blizz, per their request, and nothing. They claim they can't reproduce it on their end, and have no idea what's causing it.

17. Vellithe

Vellithe Diabloii.Net Member

Hey...

As you said, the Sound cause stutters. Have you tried setting it to Low on the number of channels thingy? That worked wonders for me.

The problem really is the way the game loads things, particularly sounds, and that causes the game to "stop" while waiting for the file. Decreasing the number of channels makes the game play less sounds at once and that alleviates the problem to the point of getting rid of it.

SSDs and such are also good, but what I did to kill the Stutters completely back in Vanilla was to just store the whole game in a ramdisk, effectively having everything load instantly.

After RoS and with low sound channels I haven't had any stutters.

18. Romanov77a

Low sound channels help, but do not solve it at all. They simply make it less terrible.

Ramdisk...I thoght about this and the other "run from usb" trick, buy both seems clunky workarounds, while Blizzard could solve it with some efforts.

19. Romanov77a

Guys, threads keep popping on both EU and US and Blizzard says nothing.

Would a small news post on this site describing the issue help?
    If anything, to make Blizzard acknowledge the issue.

20. dragon457

Yes. The more exposure the better. This isn't an isolated issue, and it's not just a small number of us experiencing it.