"Unable to connect" Please help!!!

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
"Unable to connect" Please help!!!

I've been playing D2 on useast for a couple years now and haven't had any problems connecting, but all of a sudden i couldn't connect to east anymore. I've been all over the internet trying to find a way to fix it. I have windows 98. I got the server list fix and deleted the battle.net folders, and that didn't work. I don't have a firewall, and i made sure there were no hacks or anything on my computer, and i've reinstalled it a couple times and i still can't connect. I can still connect on west, just not east. I don't think it's an ip ban because it's been 4 or 5 days now. I can't think of anything else to fix the problem. Any ideas?

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, i tried the first one, and when the screen came up, as soon as i started typing it said connection to host lost. And on the white screen it said this is a Battle.net server. So i tried the second link you sent me, and when i typed tracert USEast.battle.net > C:\tracert.txt, it said unable to resolve target system name USEast.battle.net... what do i do now?

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, for the first link, i was doing it wrong. I tried again, and when i clicked on run and typed in cmd it said it can't find the file. What should i do?

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Because it's Windows 98, you'll need to use 'command' instead of 'cmd'.

Also, there appears to be a few people having problems connecting to USEast (there's a thread about it in the community forum if you haven't read it yet). It might be a bigger problem, and it might not have anything to do with your computer or connection.

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
Lol i just figured that out about the command thing. I was doing it right all along (sorry, i'm kinda clueless about computers) Anyway, i'm sure it's not the computer because everything else is just fine. I can get on west with no problems and i'm not having any problems getting on the internet or messenger

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, if you're server list is fine (which it sounds like it is, since you've run the fix already) then yes it's probably a problem server between your ISP and USEast's server.

For the tracert, try the IP address of 63.240.202.128 (so type tracert 63.240.202.128 > C:\tracert.txt).

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, now i'm worried i might be getting annoying, but i'm not sure if my server list is ok. Before i reinstalled d2, the battle.net folders kept reappearing in the list after i tried to get on, both under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. But i went back and checked again, and there's no battle.net folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, only under HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions, i really have no idea what i'm doing...

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
By the way, i did what you said in your last post. This is what it said...

Tracing route to 63.240.202.128 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * *

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, now i'm worried i might be getting annoying,
You're alright. Sorry if I seem abit distracted, as I'm at work at the moment so basically I can only really respond when I have a free moment. Likewise, because I'm not at home at the moment I won't be able to fully verify some of the things that we go through here.

but i'm not sure if my server list is ok. Before i reinstalled d2, the battle.net folders kept reappearing in the list after i tried to get on, both under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. But i went back and checked again, and there's no battle.net folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, only under HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions, i really have no idea what i'm doing...
If this were an issue, then USWest, Europe and Asia would not work either. I don't believe this would cause the problem of USEast.

How did the telnet go by the way?

sjwl

Diabloii.Net Member
I just tried telnet again, i don't think i did it right before. When i did it this time a box came up as soon as telnet opened that said connect failed. Under that it said could not open connection to useast.battle.net6112. When i did it before i was typing telnet useast.battle.net 6112 in the thing that came up when i clicked on run, instead of typing it in the command window. When i do it that way it says this is a battle.net server in the white screen that comes up

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Hmm, useast.battle.net is 63.240.202.134 for me. Try again with that one.

As a final test, open a dos box and enter this

telnet 63.240.202.134 6112

That's more or less what the game does when entering bnet on US East. If the screen clears, but nothing else happens, you successfully connected to US East. If it says "trying to connect to ...", followed by an error message a couple of seconds later or you get an error message immediately, your computer cannot reach US East.

Unable to resolve USEast.battle.net means that your domain name server (DNS) cannot find out the IP address for USEast.Battle.net.

If you are sure there's no typo, it means that your ISP isn't able to connect to US East at all. Perhaps the ISP didn't pay certain bills, so he got disconnected from a few parts of the internet or there is a temporary technical problem. Contact your ISP. *restrains himself from making sarcastic comment about ISP hotlines*