Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Un...believeable

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Zroc, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

Un...believeable

I just found a Redeemer...294% ED...and a perfect +120 damage.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a 40/15 jewel, wouldn't this be the best possible smiter weapon?

If I understand that +120 correctly, while it doesn't show on the character screen (which it doesn't), it does work in pvp, and with smite, and is not affected by the .17 hit or damage reduction (I've been playing with it with a buddy, and this certainly appears to be the case).

As in, that +120 is basically equal to 1412 min/max damage (1412 * .17 = 240.04, cut in half by 50% dr = 120.02)?

Perfect 120 out of a 60-120 range...that's better luck than rolling a 400% BotD.

2. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

gz with it, i got one with +119

3. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

gz? Pardon the noobness, what's gz? ;)

4. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

It's short for congratulations :)

About the socketing, are you intending to socket it with a 40/15 ias or max jewel? The max jewel won't help to your Smite damage, and the 40/15 ias won't either, if you don't plan to use Charge besides Smite that is...

If I were you, I'd socket it with a 15 ias 15 all res jewel, since you tend to lack resistances when using a Redeemer instead of something like a silence phase blade

5. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Dam that is a good ideal rag. I was thinking a ber rune for some crushing blow.

6. andyishuge

andyishuge IncGamers Member

I definetaly agree with rag on this one.

7. strength_honor

strength_honor Banned

I like Shael better t.t

8. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

Nice idea, rag ;)
    Though I have a ton of resist/life charms, so my resists tend to be up there.

Someone suggested to me mixing in zeal along with smite and charge, particularly with this weapon. I can certainly see that might be effective, delivering that 120 as often as possible, and it does have -33% Target defense.

Good idea? If it is, I'm going with an ED/IAS jewel ;)

9. Ragnarod

Well, I don't know how much will your damage go up with that extra 40% ed, so I can't really say if it's worth the trouble or not

The thing is, if you want to deliver the 120 dmg added as often as possible, Smite is the best way to go, since it can't be blocked! Zeal might cap at 4 frames instead of 6, but you'll be missing 75% of your hits against a full block opponent, not counting the ones you might miss because of their defense, so...

Personally, I don't think the Redeemer is a really good weapon to Zeal and Charge with, since it doesn't have a very high damage, nor a high range (Mighty Scepters are range 1). Where it really shines is at smiting, and an ias/all res jewel might suit that better if you need the ias, or a ber/um if you don't

Then again, this depends a lot on playstyle, a 40/15 jewel isn't a bad choice by any means, but when I had to choose a socket for mine I went with the 15/15 all res jewel, your call :)

10. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

You're so right it's not even funny, ragnarod...zeal's out ;)
    Thanks so much...I'll figure out my IAS situation, and roll from there. I've got 20 on the gloves, and I think 6 fps is 55 IAS with this weap, right?

If so, I might have to go shael to hit that...
    Or should I settle for 7 and go um or ber?

11. Ragnarod

You got it right, 55 ias for 6 fps with the Redeemer. To be honest, I've never tried a 7 fps Smite, so I don't know how does it compare to a 6 fps one, I can't really help you out there

If it's of any help, I ended up using 20 ias gloves, Highlord's Wrath (the +1 skill looked more useful than the 30 frw and 25 dex on Cat's Eye) and a Shael in the Redeemer (to be replaced with a 15/15 all res jewel when I get a perfect/near perfect one).

If you can spare a socket in your helm or shield for the 15/15 jewel, you can Shael the Redeemer and not need Highlord's, which would get you a higher Smite damage, but if your setup is similar to mine you'll have to sacrifice damage reduction

Let us know what you decided, and how did it go, will you? :)

12. Halbreed7250

Halbreed7250 IncGamers Member

T3H U|M| R00N B3 T3H PR0 . . .

13. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

Will do ;) I'm going to have to make a new char...never made a heavy smiter before. My current char is a basically a charger who smites when he misses...my weapon is an eth 5 socket Runemaster socketed zod, um, um, um, 39ED/15 IAS jewel. His average charge is 6500...my smite does next to nothing, but when I miss with charge, I smite anyway and back off...basically cuz I have 100% to open wounds ;)

14. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

does anyone know if the +damage mod scales by 1.5 if the redeemer is ethereal?

15. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

amazingly it appears to even though the listed damage isn't higher: just tested last night with a friends eth +108 and it consistently added ~150 pvp damage per smite over same (non-cb) setup with hoto.

16. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

if you use an ias jewel elsewhere, for pure damage a ber redeemer + highlords would be > shael redeemer with +2 ammy. mara's or +2 craft ammy is nice for other things though, and shael redeemer is nice for versatility

in pvp 6 frame smite over 7 frame can be huge in my experience

40% ed would add 16-21 min/max to redeemer, which to me for a smiter isn't worth locking yourself into highlords

hi rag!

17. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

last question on this -- does smiting reduce the durability of the eth redeemer?

18. moosh

moosh IncGamers Member

Redeemer

Pardon my ignorance but what did you mean by the 90 dmg did not show up on character screen? I found a Redeemer myself and it wasn't quite as nice as yours (254%ed +94). I was shocked that its listed damage was 140-182. Does it not factor in the +94 damage?

Should it display 134-276?

19. Jpech01

Jpech01 Banned

Parden my newbness here...
    I have a redeemer, thats perfect ED, and has the same added 120 damage. I had absolutely no Idea that it was wortha anything....is it? I don't have a use for it, but if I could get an UM or a MAL that would be awesome

20. De4dEyE

De4dEyE IncGamers Member

YomoKimyata: Smiting does not reduce your weapons durability, only your shields'.

Jpech01: I believe you can get an ist+ if you're patient.