Str: 160 (175)
Dex: 47 (78)
Vit: 328
Ene: 10 (30)

Life: 3439
Mana: 316

Resists: 3/33/3/3
Defense: 9185

Whirlwind: 691-3945 & 684-3922 (4 FPA for both weapons, 8586 AR)
Berserk: 916-5283 (11 FPA, 8918 AR)

74% CB
44% CS/DS
43 %OW

SKILLS:

20 Whirlwind
1 Berserk

20 Sword Mastery
5 Natural Resistance
5 Increased Speed

20 Shout
20 Battle Orders
1 Battle Command

1 skillpoint unused

EQUIPMENT:

Guillaume's Face (14% allres jewel)
2x 'Oath' balrog blade (287% & 284%)
'Duress' wire fleece
Beast Knuckle blood gloves (+15 life, 3% dual leech, 9% CB, 21% MF)
String of Ears (15/6)
Gore Rider
Raven Frost (20/246)
Angelic ammy+ring

+3 warcries broad swords on switch

+dmg & AR charms

Might merc Razan:

4189 life | 12277 defense | 75/75/75/75 resists | 839-3183 damage

Guillaume's Face (IAS jewel)
The Reaper's Toll (Shael)
Ethereal 'Treachery' wyrmhide (cube bugged)

---

I wanted to make a character with lots of CB and very fast attack. This is what I ended up with, and it works wonders. He has good physical damage too, so it is not all about CB.

Another goal of mine was to make my merc as useful as possible. Reaper's was a natural choice because of ctc Decrep. Lowering enemies physical resistance by 50% while slowing them down and reducing their damage is too good to pass up. Of course I want it to trigger as often as possible, so I made Treachery for him and socketed the weapon and helm with IAS. Quick decrep means a quick kill.

I'm not sure what to do with the skillpoints from now on. More Increased Speed I suppose...

He's been spending time in Flayer Jungle and Nihlathak's temple. I believe that is where he will stay for now.

Thank you :evil:

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Umbra - Guardian #13

LprMan said:
I'm not sure what to do with the skillpoints from now on. More Increased Speed I suppose...
What is today? Guardian day?

First congrats for this semi-uber guardian. Manage with such low resistant cannot be easy.

Anyway, what's the point about increase speed? Should you want slower walk/run speed for WW? What about put any spare points to increase zerk damage?

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Put points in natural resistance? Melee guardian with such resists is folly :eek: How did you ever do it?

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member

Manage with such low resistant cannot be easy.

Anyway, what's the point about increase speed? Should you want slower walk/run speed for WW? What about put any spare points to increase zerk damage?
The resists weren't too much of a problem. Usually elemental and poison damage are easily negated by life leech. Some elemental attacks are dangerous (gloams, Diablo's firestorm...) but cautious playing kept me safe.

IMHO increased speed does not have much (if any) negative effect on WW. When you keep whirling continuously in the middle of monsters, the number of attacks over time stays almost the same, no matter how much FRW you have. The possible reduction of kill speed is countered by faster movement from one place to another...aaaand moving fast is fun. Not to mention it is easier to kill mana burners with higher FRW. IMHO.

I seldom use berserk in the areas I'm running, so beefing it up has little effect on overall playing.

Put points in natural resistance? Melee guardian with such resists is folly :eek: How did you ever do it?
Nah, few extra % on top of crap is not going to make any difference.

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm just flabbergasted by your low res, I'd never dare to play HC with expensive items with that res.

TheSupercrab

Diabloii.Net Member

cool gaurdian, scary resists, respect for surviving with that. Is the name Umbra from Morrowind? (oblivion)?

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm just flabbergasted by your low res, I'd never dare to play HC with expensive items with that res.
Wimp.

Is the name Umbra from Morrowind? (oblivion)?
I never played MW but I know Umbra is in both games. However, I chose the name because it sounds cool and has a nice meaning. Not to underestimate soul-trapping swords, of course...

whommy

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice job on the Guardian, LPRman! Even if it makes me a wimp, I'd be too scared to play a melee class with such bad resists in Hell. Of course that just makes it all that much more of an achievement!

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

May I refer you to the "OMG WTF resists" comments of my learned forumites.

:grin:

Beautiful. Well done. :thumbsup:

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats man, a nice guardian and you show your skill by not caring that your resists were low. I also don't enjoy WW that much, so more respect to you for tolerating it as well.

-hps