Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uh oh.. Did I just screw myself over?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by IN_FLAMES, May 31, 2005.

1. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Uh oh.. Did I just screw myself over?

Okay, so I just traded a guy my +3 BO Call to arms flail, plus one SoJ for his eth botd zerker, which has 366% enhanced damage.

Now in the trade window he said "u may not like my ebotdz" , and i said "whats wrong with it?" and he says "i dunno, nothing i guess =D"

here I am thinking okay, maybe he is reffering to how its only a 366%, but I dont really care because im not a stat whore and my barb that im going to make will be for pvm.

he says "can i perm right quick?" and walks up to me and clicks me, i say yes to trade.. and he just exits really fast. i have no idea what that was for

now I keep thinking this BotD would poof on me and that would SUCK BIG TIME!.... . are there chances of this?

ive never had an item poof on me before..

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Don't worry about it, sounds like another Bnet freak to me.

Items can poof, but I thought only naked runes poofed when entering a game. As far as I recall runewords will only poof when Blizzard performs a ruststorm, and I thought they only did that right before ladder resets (to limit the flood of dupes suddenly washing over non ladder)

3. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

dont worry, white items will NEVER poofed.... because hmm.. ok let me explain this

all items that are better (higher quality) than white or grey items (normal, superior, runeword items).... e.g (magic, unique, rare, runes) have some sort of id attached to it.
    if an item is being duped, both of the item will have the same id now.
    also items before 1.08 does not have an id attached to it....

blizzard intro. the system that will delete the same id item when it is in the same game... for example in a 8 player game i have a Ber rune that is being duped and so does the other 7 people..... the first one with that Ber leaves the game will get to keep his duped Ber. but the other 7 that leaves after the first person has left will have their Ber deleted... that's why people use the trade screen thingie.... the person just have to trade with someone and when the trade screen pops up, he exit the trade screen and leave the game before another person does.. to keep his duped Ber....

OHOH also after you have socket the Duped rune/ jewel, the rune/ jewel becomes hidden and dupe scan would not deleted the rune/ jewel that you inserted into the item...

hope this explain your question, correct me if i am wrong.. thx =)

4. space_loner

space_loner IncGamers Member

I might add that rune ids are added into any item you put the runes into.

but no, it will not likely poof or do anything else to harm you such as getting a soul of its own and chopping your barb to pieces permanently

5. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

I don't think you should be worried at all. Back in the first ladders season I know 99% of the high runes I ever used were all duped one way or the other. Did some of them vanish? Yes they did but those were the runes I DID NOT USE right away. Everything I socketed and made into a runeword item (BOTD, COH, CTA, etc.etc.) never ever disappeared. There was even a week when many items were allegedly disappearing (US West I think) but all my high rune stuff remained intact, in spite the fact that 99% of the runes in them were most likely duped.

6. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Whew, that's a relief. I generally do not like trading for items but in this case I got a very good deal.

I'll also add that i play non ladder USeast.. would that change anything?

7. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

i have a retarded amount of completed runewords. none of them ever poofed.

loose unused runes (used to) poof on me all the time, thats why i never trade for them until im ready to make something.

8. Angel_Dusted

Angel_Dusted IncGamers Member

Let me clarify what it means when he put it in the window and exited really fast. It's called "perming" a dupe, in that, by doing just that same set of actions, he basically made it so that it won't vanish, or "poof" on you in that game or any other, with the only exception being you finding another exact copy of that weapon (which it is safe to say he duped, in it's entirety, in order to create two of 'em, so the possibility remains).

Just the let you all know I'm not a hacker or any bs like that, I just know how not to get ripped off trading for HRs and this is one way to guarentee that they won't dissappear immediatly after. Anywho, unless you and that item are found in the same game together (the odds are abysmal btw, so don't worry too much) or unless Blizzard runs another Rust Storm you're probably just fine.

EDIT: Aragorn, don't kill me, please.

9. LauraCaldwell

LauraCaldwell IncGamers Member

I doubt that the ebotd was duped, but the runes were probally. So ethier he got the duped runes and made the botd (the runes would be permed then i belive) or he got a duped ebotd which is unlikely.

10. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

he would have just been holding unperm items, probably runes, so needed to perm or they would poof on him

11. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

If this is true...

Then why aren't duped runes deleted in the game in which they are made or the game in which they are traded (if not the same game)? Doesn't sound like the way cheat protection should work, then again given the network and the game that runs on it maybe it's the only thing that'd work, or (considering people who think the tactics they've chosen to combat botting actually work instead of being a mere nuisance to them and a downright disaster for the rest of us) they just couldn't come up with anything better - or be bothered to.

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Posting the answer will violate the forum rules.

13. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Actually just the clean 6os zerker might be worth more than that CTA + Soj you traded for it?

It is a very good deal on NL East.

14. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Sorry that my thread started a conversation about dupes, I normally try to stay away from these kinds of things; I was just worried that I may have traded and got a duped BotD. Thanks for clearing it up. :thumbsup:

15. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Isn't that special

So we can't discuss the cheat protection measures used, successfully or not, on Battle.net due to the possibility that we may be enlightened as to why they don't work and, therefore, violate the forum rules.

Thus dies the free-flow of information that could keep us from getting violated in the future. An unexpected result or do the keepers of this site realize they may be doing more harm than good? Eh, don't think it matters anymore.

16. krischan

Yes. I see nothing wrong with that. When I'm at home, I don't want my guests to talk about things like how to solve a bank's security problems by discussing about how to break into it while one of my guests is a police officer.

Even though it might be one of the purposes of this forum to help players not to get cheated, it's not acceptable to do this by providing information about how to cheat. Not any means are justified.

BTW, with my previous I meant that a satisfying explaination of why dupes don't disappear upon their creation requires to describe how certain duping methods work. Here is the unsatisfying explanation of it: Dupes aren't really created in a game.

17. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Why not? Granted, police officers aren't always the smartest, but he *might* be able to provide some insight into the subject. And if he can't contribute anything then it's still not a problem...

18. krischan

Of course it's alowed discuss how to break into a bank. However, the next bank robbery will make me or my friends suspects, and with a little bad luck I have no alibi, my attorney has a bad day and a witness is 100% sure he has seen me pulling over a mask and entering the bank :lol:

19. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

You can always try to bribe to Judge and/or the Jury then :lol:

And if you don't have the money to do that, you're clearly innocent :rolleyes:

20. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Theres a very simple explanation to all of this: U gave him more than he was expecting, so being a smartass that he was, he probably assumed that u were trading him dupes, and wanted to perm them. Rest assured though, your axe will not disappear. (who would dupe a 366% ebotd anyway? only makes sense to dupe 410+%, just like no one fakes $1 bills, but $50 and 100's).