Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ugly Red Target Outline that kills the design

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by themo, Oct 23, 2010.

1. themo

themo IncGamers Member

Ugly Red Target Outline that kills the design

I don't know why Blizzard insist on that ultra-terrible ugly red target outline. As far as I can remember, Bashiok said this outline has been improved, I thought it was tweaked but after watching the press kit video, I realized I'm wrong, it's exactly the same as Gamescom's terrible target outline.

Here it is, see how terrible it looks (From the press kit video)

[​IMG]

I personally do not want to see strange vague red shapes instead of beautifully designed monsters, it really almost totaly kills the game for me. :(

What do you think? Do you really think that red target outline looks beautiful?

2. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Re: Ugly Red Target Outline that kills the design

I don't think anyone would say that the red outline look beautiful. But they have already stated that you will be able to turn it down and maybe even have an option to turn it off all together.

3. Deuterium

Deuterium IncGamers Member

Are you talking about the silhouette outline? I love it and think it looks fantastic. If you mean the ****ty WoW/SCII style circles around the players' feet then I'm with you, I loathe the design and feel of those things.

4. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

It looks ok ... i hardly noticed it (not in bad way) while i was watching all the explosive PvP action ... and while playing it will surely feel hardly annoying .. you only notice it cause your want to see it so hard and focus on it ignoring everything else in the vid/game.

It will help you spot your enemy amidst the clouds of dust/explosions/special FX ... it works just as intended .. this screenshot doesn't represent how it looks and feels in motion or while playing the game .. go watch the Press kit video (the high-res one not the youtube ones).

And you can switch it off .. so i don't get why are people are still whining about it (i.e making threads entirely for that matter for the hundredth time) .. blah .. can't you guys find anything to whine about .. like the DH having high heels or the giant toad .. see .. i gave more stuff to complain about XD

-------------------------------

@Deuterium
    And the circles are also not that noticeable in motion ... it works in tandem with the colored HP bar to help you distinguish friend from foe .. if one of them (circle and HP bar) gets obscured for any reason you can spot the other easily.

5. themo

themo IncGamers Member

Yeah that's what I'm talking about and it looks incredibly terrible, horrible. I don't see monsters but just red weird shapes when targeted outline.

6. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

In the amidst of chaos that will be very common throughout the entire gameplay, do you really expect to be able to discern one monster from another, without having to stop to think about it?

I understand you want to see the entire world in all its glory, but lets be practical here. Players will need to be able to know what they're targeting, and seeing how most of us would be against something similar to WoW's targeting UI, this is the next best thing.

7. Es Mors

Es Mors IncGamers Member

I think the difference between looking at and playing with something like that is huge. It can be in the way, when all we want is to see the monsters while watching videos from Blizzcon, but in the game it might feel much better. I don't think it's possible to have an accurate opinion about this, before you play with it.

Personaly, I didn't even think about the outline, until I read this thread.

8. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

sorry knight_wolf i seen the presskit video at full 1920x1200 resolution 20 times by now the transparancy effect is way to bad to be ignored. The red outline can stay but since bashiok retracted his statement on we players being able to turn it off we are struck with that hideous thing.

thermo actually showed a way to nice picture off it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at times in the pvp video this transparency effect is on for several seconds preventing anyone from seeing the ingame model at all.

i doubt any one here has so bad eyesight that they could not see the character or monster model with just the red outline around it.

I dont know about you but killing some silhouettes are not my kind of fun, i want to see what the heck i am killing. Why make all that art if we can only see it as long as we never target the monster or character we want to hit:coffee:

9. Knight_Wolf

I don't remember the monsters turning this transparent during the entire press-kit video (the PvE part) .. it was never significant and never stood out during the PvE .. and i was probably too busy watching the action in the PvP part to notice it .. i'm getting the impression you are only noticing it cause you watch the video intentionally looking for it ... try to ignoring it and your eyes will get used to not-seeing it .. it works with me XD.

Also notice that the pic Themo shows doesn't involve the transparency that annoys you so much at all ... which tells me it only occurs in certain conditions (probably when anything is obscuring the character .. even partially).

And also .. when did Bashiok retract his statement about turning it on/off .. do you have any links to where he did this ? (and i'm not doubting you .. i wanna know for real)

10. lone_wolf

Knight_wolf i seriously though you had better knowledge about how a UI work then that.

You CANT see the red outline at all in the pve part since no UI is present during the whole pve part. So of course you could not see it.... kind of hard to see stuff that are not there in the first place.

also in the pic thermo posted the female barb that is called baba is just about to enter the frame that will trigger the transparency effect.

Its very easy to see when you look at her legs in the picture.

As for the retractment here it is knight_wolf:

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/1/1/4/10/7054/red-outlines-are-gone#postId_19292

for those that are afraid of links this is what he said

"Retracted. We have no plans to make the focus outline an option."

11. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I went back and watched for it. It seems that the invisi-effect is for whenever a monster is being hit. Usually that translates to a quick, barely noticeable flash but for constant damage attacks like the Wiz’s Disintigrate, the effect is extremely clear. In that case, I agree, it’s weird and unpleasant. I hope they remove it.

12. Knight_Wolf

First of all .. i read all Bashiok posts in the thread .. he never mentioned retracting the option to turn-off the outline and transparency completely ... here is what he said after the sentence you mentioned explaining what he really meant .. notice time stamp .. he said your sentence [BLUE="Retracted. We have no plans to make the focus outline an option."][/BLUE] on 08:34:00 18-Aug-2010 and the comment below on 08:39:20 18-Aug-2010

[BLUE="Right now, [B][I][U]if you disable it [/U][/I][/B]there's still a faint red rim light used to communicate focus. I'll have to follow up, hopefully I didn't just say something incorrect... But I believe the intent is to default to the more apparent outline, and allow people to toggle it if they prefer a more subtle approach."][/BLUE]

Toggle/disabling it is still possible .. it is very clear i guess ... and all his later replies never mention anything about taking that option away .. it is just not a 100% disabling option.

But then he says a faint red rim light stays .. which takes me to the next point.

You CANT see the red outline at all in the pve part since no UI is present during the whole pve part. So of course you could not see it.... kind of hard to see stuff that are not there in the first place.

Yeah it is turned off as part of the UI in the PvE .. but like bashiok mentioned above .. even if it is turned off it is not off 100% .. and that's why whenever the DH targets a monster there is suddenly some very faint red light getting reflected off it .. that's exactly the faint red rim light Bashiok speaks of ... i didn't understand were that light comes from at first .. but now it makes perfect sense .. a screenshot to show that will help .. here it is.

[​IMG]

Note the skeleton the barbarian is bashing ... it has that faint red rim light bashiok speaks of (note also the UI is off in the pic).. at first many thought it was the cleave effect reflecting off the skeleton .. but why didn't it reflect off the barb himself or the other skeletons .. it makes sense now i guess.

It can also be seen in several occasions in the PvE part of the gameplay vid in the press-kit.

Hope that ends the whole "red-outline ruins the game" thing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  13. lone_wolf

you fail at reading knight_wolf second post under friskydingo has the info you asked about.

But to make it easier for you i took a screenshot of it and cropped the part where he say its retracted in his edited post.

[​IMG]

also the red outline you show there in that screenshot is not the problem here knight_wolf i dont have anything against that.

Its the TRANSPARENCY effect i do not like. i could not care less if the red outline itself is in the game i can still see the monster and character models with that thing on.

With the transparency effect on i cant see ****, unless you count a semi transperant silhouette that lack any detail what so ever something to look at.

also in the original thread he makes no second comment on being able to disable the red outline at all

http://forums.battle.net/thread.htm...560495932&forumId=12007&postId=265582658088#6

14. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I realized they need to really improve the PvP arena, the interface and environment doesn't really suit the Diablo theme, first thing that came into my mind was X-Men.

15. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Mo'fire!!!!!!!!!!

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Lonewolf, how do you account for it containing no transparency, and a white out at once if no options are attached?

I can see you not liking the white part, but you delve too deeply into this. Many people haven't even noticed until you bring it up later in a thread. Your dislike on it is beginning to border on being biased.

Personally, I like the first link I posted than the second. It's more in tune with D1's feel and suits the purpose of highlighting just fine. If you like that option, by all means, use it.

That said, the second won't bother me. Many skill effects light up both player and monster alike. This effect will be lost in the crowd and become so natural and unnoticed that it doesn't even phase me now since I'm used to the D2 highlight.

17. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I think the white silhouette is caused whenever a target is hit. You can even see this in the gameplay broll from the press kit. I don't think it has anything to do with the outline.

18. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

Come on guys the red out line is horrific. It looks nasty and they need to do away with it.

19. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I hadn't thought of that. One has the target disintegrated, the other has him just running.

Even still, the outline may not be on a toggle, but if this is separate, then would that be toggled?

Thomas--nice post explaining why you think this, what improvements could be made or any impact it does have over the course of 1 million + monsters (AKA, will you really focus on its every detail after that many times).

20. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

If something doesn't look good then I see no need to go into a philosophical explanation or write an 2 page essay just so you can proof read everyones responses and pull out what you think is acceptable or not. It just doesn't look good, how is that ?