Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ubertrist/PvP Smiter Help

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Trionth, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

Ubertrist/PvP Smiter Help

I want to make a pure ubertrist smiter and I've been acquiring gear slowly for a while. I have everything I'll need, and just need help decided what to use.

Helm: Guilames face Um'd
    Body: Chains of Honor // Fortitude
    Weapon: Last Wish PB // Last Wish Zerker // Grief PB
    Shield: Eth Exile // Up'd Um'd Hoz
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp // Laying of Hands
    Amulet: Highlords // Perfect Maras
    Rings: BK and Raven

I don't have any pcombs, but I don't think it should be a problem.

For skill:
    20 smite
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Defiance
    20... Fanatsim?

What would be required to be changed in PvP? Could I just slap an 'enigma' on him, and use grief for the extra damage and go to town?

Thanks!

2. zarkadon

zarkadon Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Ubertrist/PvP Smiter Help

Max fanatism, it's more important than Defiance.

I have a Zeal/Smite I use for UT (although I only use Smite in UT) and after trying various setups I stuck to this one:

Coa (BerBer)
    COH
    LW PB
    Eth Uped Zaka (Ber)
    Dungo
    Draculs
    Upped Gores
    BK5
    Raven
    HL

This gives me exactly 50%dr and [email protected] in hell ([email protected] under Mephisto's aura). Even so, I dont need any torches/annis/resisi scs, LW casts fade quite frequently and anyway I clean the area in, literally, around one minute. When ever I feel like dueling I only switch the LW for a Grief, and the outcome is pretty nice.

If you cant get COA or eth zaka, I'd probaby stick to Guillaumes and Exile... but I'm not sure that would work in PvP. And I wouldn't use engima, you lack too much fcr to make it useful. For UT you are more that ready, I've done it with absolutely crap gear before.

Edit: and by the way, Unles you are going to hit with the BA, PB is always a better option because it's indestructable and you don't need the higher damage anyway.

3. Trionth

Why not max Fanat and Defiance? Defiance is just for the passive boost to Holy Shield, correct?

Doesn't an eth Zakarum degrade as you smite with it? I have a non eth up'd one that I can use in place of exile, but is the damage necessary?

If I max Holy Shield, Smite, Fanat, Defiance. Then 1 Point into Zeal and prereqs I should be good for UT. Run Fanatsim and smite away. Fade and lifetap from LW (and a might aura) then defiance and insane defense from 'Exile'. I assume CoH will be better since I don't need crazy damage (if fort even trasfers over)

For PvP if I replace Guillames with Coa (BerBer) and 'Exile' for the Up'd Zakarum (possibly Ber instead of Um) Then put on Grief Phase Blade and Fortitude (maybe even steelrends instead of LoH) I should be doing some very nice damage, right?

4. zarkadon

zarkadon Diabloii.Net Member

Woops! I meant Zoded eth zaka, not Ber! You normally dont need any extra dr anyway, since its capped at 50% and COH + COA (BerBer) + Dungo, should let you reach it.

Fanatism boosts your Damage and IAS, while Defiance only boosts Holy Shield's defense bonus. With the gear you have, extra defense is pretty useless as you get completely healed every time you hit an enemy, extra damage, on the other hand, proves to be more useful.

I have never tried Forty on my paladin, I always use COH, so I don't know what to say here. As for the gloves, I really love Draculs: it gives lifetap, which is mandatory in UT (athough you can get LT through Exile too), life leech, and 15 points to strenght which allows me to invest 15 extra points to vitality. I still use Draculs in PvP, however if you don't want to use them because some people are against the use of LT while dueling, I'd probably say Bloodfists is a better option (40 life and... 30fhr!!).

Zeal isn't very useful in UT, because you start hitting around random enemies, so unless you want to make a hybrid like I did, stay away from this skill... if anything, put your extra points to Sacrifice which gives +12% to Zeal damage, which is better than the +6% damage increase Zeal gets for each point invested in Zeal (it's funny here how the synergy is more effective than the actual skill :p).

As for the smite damage I think it goes like this: Eth Up Zaka > Eth exile vortex > Up Zaka, but I'm not 100% sure on this as I never had an eth exile vortex to compare results.

5. Trionth

Hmm, well this is definenetly a dedicated smiter, so for PvP purposes (vs melee) I'll put 20 into defiance (passive boost) and 20 into fanatasim. I can think of no better place for the 20 skill points from defiance to go. The 1 pt into zeal will be usefull in general PvM while levelling (mostly following chaos/baal runs, but still I like to help)

I'll just test the different shields. Gotta try and find an eth vortex with 45 resist all. Then just hope it bugs into 4 sockets lol. The one I bugged is just a regular paladin shield (can't remember) and only has ~1.1k defense. Should still get the job done.

6. Aaron Eh

Aaron Eh Diabloii.Net Member

The average smite damage on all elite pally shields is the same - 46. Ethereal only matters for the defense bonus it has no bearing on damage. As Exile is self repairing using eth items offers the most bang for the buck.
    Any eth elite shield will do.
    All else being the same upped HoZ gives the most damage as a result of the + skills.
    Blood fist might be a better choice for gloves if the FHR helps you hit the next BP and 40 life is always nice and you have life tap elsewhere.

7. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Spending more than 1 point into defiance is pointless. The only reason you will spend only 1 point into defiance is because you are going to put a point into redemption. Nice skill for pvm cases.

8. Hartside

Hartside Diabloii.Net Member

Each hard point put in defiance adds extra def passively so vs mellee it is worth it imo especially vs barbs vs all I'd add into light res for that passive bonus but I'm a noob player :)