Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ubers with wolf is do-able.

Discussion in 'Druid' started by IMCanadian, Sep 4, 2006.

1. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

Ubers with wolf is do-able.

I have been running uber trist with my wolf. I plan to make an efficient enough wolf to run the same way a one point smiter can. I've done 20-25 runs and I know now it is very possible. I plan on writing a good guide, but I want to be 100% about this first. I'm kinda not sure how things work together but I know what I do works, and crushing blow and res r important.

Here are my findings so far:

-Very possible, only failed once out of 20-25 times.
    -Rabies works amazingly well for some reason in combination with CB. Takes junks of life, even from meph who is immune??
    -An alternate attack is needed for low life portion, I use fury/fernal rage (mana burned), I am goin to test a fire claws version to see if it is as effective as rabies and also test hunger for leeches.
    -Spirits and all other summons are a waste of time as the don't last more then 10 seconds. Mercs as well.
    -Fernal rage is very useful.
    -I never died while using last wish as a weapon. This allowed for CoH for added res, although atk speed was very slow (without max WW), I tried a pb/max WW, but then dmg was oly 2-3k. Although I lasted without dieing/without spirits and taking all three on at once.
    -A fast high damage weapon is needed on switch for low life fury atk on ubers.
    -Botd zerk failed me, although im not sure on my CB level at that point.
    -Grief pb worked, but I died a few times in process due to minimal resistances.
    -eth 3 soc 2x40/15 zod tombReave work well as switch weapon, semi well as main atk weapon.
    -Res charms were not used, so Res is easily upgradable.
    -Fade prebuff works well. Or fade from LW, LW also has life tap, since I am using trangs for increased poison dmg.
    -poision dmg only 23k, How do I raise? to test if more effective.

Any suggestions are welcomed, I'm going to test more angles before I post anything soild.

Note**Single Player Tested.

2. emar

emar IncGamers Member

Hum, from experience and reading here are a few more options (or to try again).

Weapon:
    Up'd Shaeled Ribcracker - cheap weapon and actually works, very nice CB
    EBotdZ/SS - Should work, check the CB and give it another go
    That being said EBotdGPA works as well - just shield-less, so less potential resists
    ETomb
    Grief PB/SS
    Stormlash Shaeled (CB/CTC Static)/SS

Armor:
    In terms of armors: CoH, Fort, Duress. I'd give them all a go with varying setups.

Hat:
    Jalals (Um'd), or Guilface for CB if you are lacking.

Gloves:
    Drac's, Crafted - My personal focus wouldn't be on raising Rabies damage. If your focus is on it, then put a LT wand on the switch and transform after you cast it - if you aren't cautious it could get messy fast though.

Boots:
    Gores, Toes. I would pick gores as it has some other cute mods, however if you are really itching for CB toes are very viable.

Resists. You are right, you need lots of resists. Stack as much on as possible. I would Treach for prebuff, then switch out the armor to something fancier. I personally wouldn't use LW on a fury druid, but if it is working for you then good job.

Try some light absorb on the setup as well.

Raising psn damage is via + to skills or the %. Throw on shape charms.

Try using a vine. Carrion can give nice life return, and solar is beautiful for mana return.

Uber trist is beatable with a fury wolf, indeed. I have done it with a very, very, very cheap setup successfully.

Up'd Ribcracker,
    Smoke,
    Jalal's with resists jewel,
    Angelic ammy,
    Angelic ring,
    Ravenfrost,
    GToes,
    String of ears,
    Bloodfists - eventually changed it to Drac's

Charms were resists, AR, life

Fury/Feral is the way to go. Psn/OW can slow/stop their regen, since PMH doesn't work on any of the Ubers.

That comment about single player tested... Does that mean you are tristing in single player? If so, your results are not going to be very realistic as the mod in single player is not a good portrayal of trist (i.e., no minions, and piss AI)

Well good luck and keep going, there are a lot of viable and useful setups.

3. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

I would love to see a Druid Uber killer guide. I just need Treachery and Dracs to finish my Uber druid (I think). If I don't see I guide up by the time I go for it, maybe I'll do one. If there is one, I'll add my comments instead.

GO UBER DRUIDS!

4. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Fury druid isnt as good as a smiter at it IMO but he can do it and look a lot more classy too ^^. Ive beaten uburs with a wolfbarb too there made for it.

COH/SS and nat res only res im getting . GORES and DRACs needed on him tho. ^^. i use griz caddy for rapid cb hits. also ebotdz wolfies work too. ^^

5. IMCanadian

Thanks for the tips emar, eth ribcracker is good choice, I forgot about those and ebotd gpa is a good switch high dmg fast weapon, cheap then a 2x40/15 zod etomb. I know the missing minions is a piss off, but I figure, using fury on them the same way I zeal with a uber smiter would take care. My wolf is alot stronger, with alot more life...maybe less defence but I tihnk it evens out, my uber smiter only has 1.2k life no cta (I dunno why I didnt make him:shocked:). Fernal rage charged up for faster atk and LL, or im also going to try hunger as an alternitive source of duel leech. For now I'll continue running SP untill its so easy it looks unbelievable, then I'll take to the realms.

Oh and good luck Bjam on running ubers with your wolf. Gogo 20/20 pally torch (to trade it that is...), and if you write a guide before me, I'll add some input.

Ps. I found a 19/19 necro torch yesterday:grin:

IMC:grin:

6. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Didn't mention it, but I'll be using an Eth Ribcracker, so we'll see how well that works. I already have 3 keysets, so I'll be running the mini-ubers as soon as I can find the time.

I'm a little worried about Lilith, but if she goes down easy, I'm confident that the big 3 will follow as soon as I can make a Treachery and pick up some cheap Dracs.

7. IMCanadian

I've neve run mini ubers, but I know mephs poison kils, so definte high poison res, less duration or even antidotes are required...

8. IMCanadian

Somemore Results:

Retested every weapon, added testing of ribercracker, added forti to tests, added dracs, added toes, added res sc's, added botdgpa.

Botd Gpa-Works well as a second weapon, great for the LL, but isnt quite as good as Etomb for high dmg fast weapon.

Upped Ribcracker w/shael- Probably the second best weapon I tested. In combination with a little more CB and it works well, Only problem lies in no shield for block/res and I think block is needed. Plus ss has some DR. With this you could use CTA on switch to quickly recast BO, rather then prebuffing and losing the bonus during the fight.

BotdZ- I Don't think botdZ cuts it. It's a great weapon, but the missing CB means you have to make it up elsewhere. This means definite use of toes, gilliums (no res now) and even duress...or CB gloves instead of dracs. I'm goin to try to work this build to accomodate this, but I just dont see EbotdZ as a top choice.

GriefPB- Worse the EbotdZ as it has no stats to help you. No CB so needs to be made up elsewhere.

Etomb w/2xed/ias jewel+zod- Awesome weapon, fast high damage, res to boot! Lacks CB so I use this as my 1/3 life and under weapon. Expensive tho...

Last Wish PB/Z- My Favorite weapon. I know it's not a custom to be used by shifters, as it has no IAS. It takes a bit longer to kill with this weapon, but it frees up alot of gear space. When I use this, my life doesnt move, I never use pots and never have to heal. I have a choice of many armors and helms with this which makes me think its great.

Forti- Is a good armor for those who dont need alot of res, I use it with LW.

CoH- The safe alternitive, the huge res bonus, Dr, and the skills increase your dmg a bit.

Toes Vs Dracs- I use toes since I mostly use poison to keep regen down, with toes+LW is 95% cb from two pieces of gear..thats pretty sweet.

Res scs were as always a great addition.

Question: Does the prevent monster heal from LW work on Ubers?? Is that why I think it's awesome?

9. emar

emar IncGamers Member

PMH doesn't work on any of the ubers, all 6 of 'em.

10. naturebunns

naturebunns IncGamers Member

ribcrackers definately the best to use on diablo/baal

but mephisto it doesn't work nearly as well as a last wish

11. IMCanadian

Hmm I think I'll go with lw as a basic weapon, and maybe try ribcracker on switch?

12. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred IncGamers Member

re:

You've inspired me to make a wolfy lol. But what are your stats and skill points? I'm thinking maxing fury, feral rage, lycanthropy, werewolf, and maybe rabies? Anything into summons?

13. IMCanadian

Well omega that all depends on what you want your wolf for. Fury/vit wolf is a good dueler, or you can make a titan. There fury/rabies too and if you want to make a wolf for ubers you need rabies, as it is my key atk against ubers. For this you would max fury, lycanthropy, werewolf, rabies, poison creeper. Summons dont really last very long, but a carrion vine may work well to revover life. (note: the fact that summons dont last is why I don't bother with a spirit. If your wolf is goin to be use for more then just ubers, you'll want oak sage. You then would skip out on maxing ww.) Max ww last incase you don't level to 90 and run outa points. Max order: lycan, fury, rabies, poison creep, then last ww.

14. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Well, I had a small window of opportunity to run the mini-ubers (wife running an errand). I didn't change my setup at all, I just used my normal PvM gear. Uber-Duriel and Uber-Izzy were no trouble at all, but Lilith was a problem. Before I go any further, here is a snaphot of my standard setup.

Gear:
    Um'd Jalal's
    Highlords
    Eth Ribcracker (272%)
    Dusk CoH
    Gores
    Crafted Blood Gloves
    Dungoes (14%)
    Average Raven/Dual Leech Rare

Key Stats:
    Level 84
    4400 life (no BO, no spirit)
    About 7K average damage + 46% DS
    10.5K AR
    22% DR
    72% Crushing Blow
    16% LL / 5% ML
    **% FHR

OK, now for the play by play and lessons learned.

1) Duriel - Head north from the portal and Fury until he drops. You can build up a little Feral Rage in advance or pop a potion if needed, but either way he's easy.
    2) Izzy - IM makes just getting to Izzy the biggest pain. I was lucky that there were no Oblivian Knights near him, so no need to lure him to a clearing. I tanked him the same as Duriel and down he went.
    3) Lilith - The halls of the Matron's Den are filled with swarms of super fast and strong minions. I couldn't handle too many at a time (no shield) and that made for slow going. The merc and spirit died frequently and I died once due to impatience and some ill timed lag. When I finally got to Lilith I discovered that Lifetap is not optional (at least not with my gear). I got smacked around pretty good and died when I ran out of Rejuvs. I was prepared to do some serious gear swapping, but time was up (wife was back). I flipped to my Uber Pally, smeared Lilith and got the organ just in time, but I still learned some valuable lessons.

Discoveries:
    * Lifetap is critical for Lilith. She is easy enough to hit with a wand first, so plan on it. Use Dracs too to keep it going if you have 'em.
    * More DR% is never bad when you are shieldless, get it where you can.
    * Attack speed is very important. I would be very surprised if a non-eth Ribcracker wasn't better than the eth Ribcracker I'm swinging. It does less damage (per attack and over time), but the increased frequency of CB triggering should more than compensate vs. Lilith and the Ubers. For now, I'm going to stick with my big stick and try again after making the changes below.

What I'll do next time:
    Gear changes just for Lilith:
    Highlord -->Metalgrid (AR goes to 14.5) - Have it already
    Rare ring-->2nd Raven(AR goes to 16.5) - Have it already
    Add lifetap wand on switch - Time to go shopping

Pre-buff:
    Do a Treachery pre-buff for the DR% boost. I will need Treachery for the Ubers anyhow, so no big deal.

Any advice is welcome; just don't suggest wholesale gear changes.

I still plan to try the Ubers, but as I said, I need to get some gear first. I'll post back with the results (probably next week).

15. KadoorieNuts

KadoorieNuts IncGamers Member

Very encouraging guys. I post an ISO Durid/Uber Guide thread weeks ago but so far not much responses. As Tristram is the ultimate test for most, if not all, character build, I am gathering info from each character. ATM I can only see Necro and Smiter with their guide but the rest is still missing a formal guide.

If u can come up with one for durid (and I am sure Brab is doable too), that would enrich the menu for doing tristram. I still hope some experienced players of Sin, Amazon, and Soc can try to establish a formal Tristram guide to complete the whole picture.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to read ur guide.

16. IMCanadian

Fury barb is one of the best for uber trist, there just must not be a guide written. I'm planning on writing a guide for this asap, but atm im working on a pvp wolf on east. Note, if you decrease you atk speed bjam by using a lw pb or Z, life tap will hit alot more and you wont die. I find my life never decreases when I use LW, but it takes longer to kill. Fury handles ez minions...try a LW if you can

17. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Hey IM,

Look forward to your Uber Tristram guide. I actually have that breastplate that give 90% resistance to poison / 50% poison reduction to ensure that Lilith isn't a problem. Once you minimize her poison, she's much less dangerous. Since I'm a fury / summon wolf with SS and 1h weapon, it's pretty slow going in uber tristram land. Feral rage and dracul's gloves are very useful for keeping the red ball full. Dracul's will allow you to leech from the unleechables (undead and what not). The maxxed bear does wonders for the meat shield, but the spirit often dies and the merc often takes a beating too.

good luck and good hunting!! (growf!)
    Kirah

18. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Great news (for me at least) update!!!

I picked up some gear and had another go at the mini-ubers....and this time no pally bail out was required. I didn't make many changes at all. In fact, other than swapping in some better attack charms from my WW Barb, there were only 3 changes. Oh, and I did level to 85 too.

1) Blood Gloves-->Dracs (really crappy ones 7%/12str)
    2) Highlords-->Metalgrid (super crappy 25%/408/300)
    3) Used Treachery pre-buff for DR (vs. Lilith only)

I found Izzy and Duriel to be a little tougher/slower to kill (no Highlord's) but I was never in any danger.

Lilith was practically right around the corner from the Portal in the Matron's Den. It was so unexpected that I didn't have time to retreat to a safe casting point for lifetap. I did the only thing I could do, charged in and attacked. My merc lived just long enough to decrepify her (Reaper) and that let me avoid a beating before Lifetap kicked in. Once it did, it was no contest. I was never in any real danger.

My wolf is hardly elite, yet I think I'm ready to do the ubers at last. I'll post again when I do. Wish me luck.

19. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

Shael'd Stormlash is really good for CB, and of coarse the ever useful Static Charge to really get things going. Much better then EBotdZ and even Grief phaser until about 1/4 of an Uber's life remains, then I think Grief is better. I also really think IK belt is way better then Verdungo's when you're actually in Tristram because of Mephy.

20. KadoorieNuts

KadoorieNuts IncGamers Member

Tx for the updated Bjam. I am still waiting for the completed guide to come out. (IMO, Credendum from the Disciple is also a good alternative.)