Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uber Smiter Help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Facetious, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Facetious

Facetious Diabloii.Net Member

Uber Smiter Help

Hi there!

I am new at the forum and i have a question regarding my smiter for solo uber runs.

i use last wish, exile, maras, gore rider, draculs, arach, raven and bul kathos and a set item winged helm which i cannot spell (something like guliams or so).

i am a bit concerned that my damage although fanatism is maxed out is only max 2k. will it be enough?
    i am also having troubles with my resistances, but i hope i can trade some res charms.

thanks in advance for your help

Facetious

2. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Uber Smiter Help

Your build is all over the place and seems to combine 3 different schools of thought to a terribly inefficient build. You are using last wish which pretty much single-handedly provides all the crushing blow you will ever need at its worst possible spawn.

Im going to suggest a optimal set up using last wish as im sure others will suggest the damage school of thought.

Helm : Kiras Gaurdian - 70 All resists, Cannot be Frozen, 20 FHR, Ideally the socket should be 15Allres/15 ias jewel because phase blades with level 10+ fanaticism require 15 ias from equipment but if your using 20 ias gloves then Um or 15allres/7 FHR jewels for the stupidly rich.

Armor: Fortitude with 30 Resistances

Weapon: Last wish phase blade with as much crushing blow as possible.

Shield: Herald Of Zakarum upped because you only need one source of life tap and this would give the most damage.

or

Sanctuary in a 45 all resistances base zakarum shield or sacred Targe. This can really make a difference in your resistances giving you up to 115 all resistances.

Gloves - 20 IAS 10CB/15 Str blood gloves or LoH or Steelrend

Belt - String Of Ears

Boots - Gore riders

Jewelery - Maras and 2 x BK

Worst possible case you will have 75% crushing blow, Lifetap and around 200 all resists.

Enough for -25 all resists after meph.

Best case
    85 kiras
    30 Fort
    72 HoZ
    30 Maras
    217 before fade
    and with fade
    56 Fade

273 which is nearly enough for 75 all without charms.

2k is more than enough smite damage for uburs but whats you skill layout.

3. GIJoeWWW

GIJoeWWW Diabloii.Net Member

I have done a few UT runs with equipment much less expensive than yours. Here are my thoughts:

1. Switch the arach out for thundergods, which gives you increased lightning resist and absorb. Plus skills don't really help a smiter that much.

2. Even with maxed resists in hell, I had problem with Uber Mephisto's conviction aura. Use salvation to counter Mephisto and you should be fine as far as resists are concerned. Switch to Fanaticism once Mephisto is dead.

3. It is the crushing blows from your equipment that make smite effective, and also I believe there is some display bug in the character's screen for how added damage is calculated for smite.

4. RealmOftheWolf

Only Grief has a LCS error with smite and he uses last wish which means no problems with the LCS that I know of.

Thundergods is a good choice but is largely unneeded with the level of equipment he has.

SoE will actually help throughout the rest of the game and especially the Matrons den.

5. Facetious

Facetious Diabloii.Net Member

Hi!

Thanks for the numerous answers!
    i will try to get some of the equipment mentioned here.

my skill layout is as follows:
    20 fana
    20 smite
    20 holy shield

the rest is free as for the moment.

i forgot to say. i use CoH as armor, which already give +65 resis

thanks again for all your inputs
    greets Facetious

6. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Your damage is good enough. You just need either a ias jewel, 10% ias gloves, or hlords to max out your ias with lw pb. Yes stick with coh since the dps is not too different from fort anyways.

7. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez Diabloii.Net Member

dear lord. with that kind of stupid high-end gear you should be able to solo UT blind rolling drunk with a cat piddling on your keyboard while riding a mechanical bull.

8. IMCL85

IMCL85 Diabloii.Net Member

I recommand u just forget about the coh and fort, and stick to enigma. Running arround in lilith tomb and izual pit is gonna give u a headach here and there.

9. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Didn't quite get that image in my mind, but was thinking along those lines, and how people manage to acquire such pretty things without a basic understanding of why they should want them =P

10. RealmOftheWolf

I would like to think mfing....hopefully mfing.

11. Khronikx

Khronikx Diabloii.Net Member

thundergods vs meph no matter what... you apparently have the wealth and are looking for speed runs, so dont switch anything to make you kill slower... swap to arachs if you wish after for the +1skill... treachery prebuff+salvation+tgodz vs meph, once Life Tap procs you can safely switch to Fanat, at least I was able to

i used a very similar build to you in 1.12 and was clearing UT in approx 30 seconds..
    I would not use Kiras, from my experience Kiras sucks in UT, Guilluames is the best in slot imho.. socket it with whatever you need min maxing on

are you using this smiter purely for UT or also gathering organs?
    if your only running UT 20point smite can only help I guess but I would use Grief to help assist your smite damage, and if your referring to the 2k damage as smite thats definately normal.

if you are also running organs I would suggest respeccing to 20zeal/**sacrifice(dump remaining points) and only one point smite, while keeping Last Wish
    1point in smite vs 20points in smite is approx 450 damage difference

12. RealmOftheWolf

First look at his gear then figure out logically why a kiras sucks? Hes got a minimum of 60(LW)+15 (Gores)= 75% and since dracs are not needed he could go with blood gloves for a further 10% or a perfect Last wish for a further 10% which can total 95%. Guillames is overkill and largely a waste on a last wish build and would just be ignoring obvious shortfalls in his equipment largely the resistance area.

Guillames works best on a grief build where Off weapon crushing blow is needed and then I would agree that Kiras wouldn't fit the build.

Guillaumes face
    Fortitude
    Grief
    Exile
    20/10 CB blood gloves
    Gores

With a last wish build you can have your cake and eat it too with Kiras by continuing to use fanaticism and not worry so much about life tap triggering because your already laughing at mephs feeble attacks before fade or life tap.
    Also your suggestion is kinda scary or your just insanely lucky as even with lifetap and 2k + life meph can and will 1 shot you with a lucky charged bolt even with 20% absorb soon as you switch from salvation to fanaticism.

The difference between 75%CB and 100%CB killing speed is virtually seconds at most, if at all but the safety with Guillames is alot less even with a 15 all resist jewel/UM.

I wouldn't say your suggestion was the most fitting for this particular build and would SERIOUSLY advise against that suggestion in Hardcore. As I said in a previous post there are many schools of thought for the insanely rich Uburs paladin.

Another better point would be Kiras would make FULL use of thundergods by allowing 85% lightning resists in addition to the light absorb.

I'm sure both of us have done 1000's of Ubur runs over our D2 career so I won't call into question that.