Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uber Smiter Gear

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by xLithiumx, Nov 15, 2006.

1. xLithiumx

xLithiumx Banned

Uber Smiter Gear

East Softcore

I basically want gear to be perfect since price will not be a option and wondering is this the best set-up

Maras
    Bk x2
    Gulliames or Um Shako? or something else other then the 2
    Eth Exile What would be the best thing for it to be in?
    Grief What should it be in?
    Coh?
    Dracs
    Gores
    Arach
    Pcomb x9
    20-18 Ptorch
    Anni
    Rest Charms will be 20 Life sc

2. mr hamster

mr hamster Diabloii.Net Member

Try getting a ravenfrost for the cannot be frozen
    From what i've seen best Grief for a smiter is in a phase blade, mostly for the indestructible and very fast speed and exile is generally in glitched uber-resist vortex shields

Hope that helps

3. Demonic Angel Rules

Demonic Angel Rules Diabloii.Net Member

Ok what you have listed will probably get you through with out troble exept, as mr hamster said, the Ravenfrost. If you dont have CBF dont even try to do it. Your speed will be super slow and then that will get you killed. Grief Phase Blade is perfect for both a Pure Smiter and a zealot. And Exile goes in erth 45+res 4soc Vortex shield. Mines got 1500 def but Ive herd they can get to 1800+. Also your Pcomb GC's arnt needed at all. Damage isnt the big thing, just enough to fill life orb with 1 smite hit when life tap on is all you need. Use lifers/Res charms. Go with Um'd Gulliames as the CB on it is very handy. COH perfect becasue of all the +to res. Rings dont Have to be really good, I got rare rings with + to res cause I use Fant on meph and i need the extra bost, but If you want to stick with rings you mite want Salvation on when your near Meph cause of his Arua. Besides that You would be fine. If you want a little more life/mana Get a CTA. I got one and it makes Ubers so much easier. life jumps like 800 life and that will keep you alive till life tap kicks in. Wear Spirit with CTA for the added 2+ skills.

4. IVfluids

IVfluids Diabloii.Net Member

Like the other guys said, get a good RavenFrost.

You really don't need to have an expensive set up to do ubers, I've done about 20+ and never died yet.

It all comes down to a bit of matter of opinion and tastes on the setup, so here is where mine is at:

Shako w/ Um
    Herald w/Um
    Grief PB
    AP CoH
    Dracs (average pair)
    Thundergod's (average pair)
    Gorerider (average pair)
    Ravenfrost
    Wisp Projector
    Mara's
    Anni (average)
    2x 20%+ Light Res Charms

CTA is a nice primer as the other guy said also, get's me 2600+ life, I'm sure with top end gear that has good str mods (anni etc) to free up points for life, you could get a bit more out of it.

UberMeph has a nasty conviction, which is why I have light res stacked up so high, especially on lightening. Try to take Meph out first and run Salvation until you do, then you can go ahead and switch to Fanat and beat on Baal (mana burning bastard) next preferably, then pound on Diablo. You don't have to do it in that order, but taking out Meph first makes it a lot easier.

Some people will tell you Fort>CoH and that Exile>HoZ, I guess that is a matter of opinion and I never tried it any other way than the way I have been doing it. I had actually done it with a Heaven's Light with 2x15IAS jewels in it for about the first 5-6 runs, took a bit longer, but it was easy none-the-less. Basically, once lifetap kicks in, you're pretty much home free.

Unless you have faith in BNet not screwing you as you when you try to swap out chars to grab your reward (if you're by yourself), don't bother with a torch, you'll want to be able to pick it up your reward.

5. Senshiki

Senshiki Diabloii.Net Member

I suppose I'm alone in this one, but I hate grife. It's attention for PvP is well deserved, but that high amount of damage vs. bosses isn't needed when compared to crushing blow. If you truely can afford pretty much anything, go for a Last Wish Phase Blade. Everything about that weapon kicks ***. You lose a bit of IAS and dmg, but you trade it up for HUGE CRUSHING BLOW as well as prevent monstery heal, a might aura when equipped, and other awesome mods. Lets not forget it comes with better life tap cast chances, which other than making the run more successful free's up those drac's. (Laying of Hands anyone?) With faster gloves, you make up for the loss of IAS. Also, when fighting mephesto, your resist goes down substantially (I'm sure you know that.) It is good you have CoH and Herald, but Last Wish also comes with chances to cast Fade when hit, which will make sure that your resists stay even higher vs. Mephesto's high lightning damage.

6. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

Well, do consider that grief makes you leech 4x more, and that 2x crushing blow does not make you kill them 2x as fast (or nearly that). The tail end of the curve needs to be dealt with by OW and direct damage, which the latter grief has plenty of.

7. firemage

firemage Diabloii.Net Member

i dont have any rez when im doing it and i own mepth my rez is minus 100 and its still easy 4 me.

8. Demonic Angel Rules

Demonic Angel Rules Diabloii.Net Member

Last wish is very costly and is no where near as effective as Grief. And Ill back up this claim.

Grief Pros:
    +30-40% Increased Attack Speed. This helps at reaching last BP
    Damage +340-400. This actully helps smite damage. Makes leeching easyer.
    Ignore Target's Defense. This helps when zealing minions.

Grief cons:
    No life tap
    No CB
    No +to res.

Last wish pros:
    6% Chance To Cast Level 11 Fade When Struck. Res is always helpful.
    10% Chance To Cast Level 18 Life Tap On Striking. It life tap people, always needed.
    Level 17 Might Aura When Equipped. Helps with damage but not as much as Grief.
    60-70% Chance of Crushing Blow. Tons of CB
    Prevent Monster Heal. But you should have gores to make open wounds.
    Ignore Target's Defense.

Cons:
    Harder to reach last BP
    Damage is hurt badly
    If you got Gulliames you wont need anymore CB
    Expansive as hell
    And to top it all off if you got Dracs and/or Exile you got all the life tap you need.

See even though Last wish has more Pros, they can be found in other Items which makes it easier for you to get the right wepon, like Grief. Lifetap cast so many times while smiting you will never run out of it. And res can be found in 45+exile and coh + sc that have + to one kind of res. And you only need a little bit of CB becasue haveing 40 will only be 10 sec longer then haveing 100. And who needs that 10 secs anyway?

9. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

Personally i see Last Wish like an "all in wonder" weapon. It frees up alot of equipment options for most people. For example, with fade, no need treachery. With HUGE LT, no need exile. With huge CB, no need extra CB gear etc etc

Also if made in a PB (which is what all proper minded LW avocaters should do), you only need 10% IAS to hit the bp for a phase blade when using fana. Easily done with High lords wrath or nos coil.

Downside is that its damage required to deliver the final killing blow is quite low and has no OW to help counter regen (PMH does not work on bosses and ubers). Upside is that the HP drops like flies in the first few hits.

It is more of a tweaking and a rich man's toy. For example with LW setup, you can easily hit 295% resist all (including LW fade) without using any charms, no need for salvation against meph.

Grief + draculs + Gore + Guilimare is more effective for cost though. Not everyone has 6 HRs for a LW. You can get the grief setup for just 3 HRs at the most.

10. SmiterMcZealot

SmiterMcZealot Diabloii.Net Member

Best uber zealot/smite setup IMO:

weapon:Grief phase

shield: hoz um'd (upgraded if you want to spend the str, but grief really makes that irrelevant)

Exile is pointless and suboptimal for ubering. Um'd hoz gives 30 more resists or so, is much much cheaper, and gives you much much more life with its far higher block rate than exile and its +4 HS. Plus more general skill points, etc etc. You have lifetap from Drac's. Exile, especially in a low block shield like vortex, is not for pvm.

Armor: CoH is where it's at. Only other serious option is duress, and that would work better with LW phase IMO (good alternative despite the lower damage: frees up gloves, helm, and boots!)

Helm: Guillaume's 'Um' CB whoooo

Gloves: Dracul's. OW. Lifetap. Needed.

Belt: T-God's or Credendum both work well. Whatever, really.

Boots: Gore riders. Gets you nice 50% CB, more OW, helps finish minions with DS.

Ammy: Mara's 30 rez

Ring1: Raven Frost

Ring2: Some rare with resist all and mana leech ideally

Anni, no torch (for reasons listed above). Use salvation until meph is dead, grief phase's speed will keep you to a good frame rate.

I've used this and similar builds for a while, it's fantastically easy.

11. safetypro

safetypro Diabloii.Net Member

I've heard the disagreement about Grief vs. Last Wish forever so I personnally had to give it a try. I already had an uber setup using Grief so my latest paladin build was based around the Last Wish instead. I have cleared the game with Last Wish and I'm sure it will work in uberland however, it has been my experience that the Lastwish can't hold a candle to the Grief. It took much longer to kill the high level monsters compared to Grief. Not that Last Wish was by any means a bad weapon, quite the contrary however, when you factor in performance and cost., Grief wins hands down as it is both cheaper (2 HRs instead of 6 HRs) and a heck of a lot better performer.
    Just my 2 cents, hope it helps the original poster:)
    safetypro

12. maxusmag

maxusmag Diabloii.Net Member

hmm so far it is an interesting arguement.

all in all after comparing the 2 what people are leaving out is the lvl15 venom on striking that grief bears with it. that along with the poison lower res and extra damage to deamons which is what these guys are is what makes this weapon go.

as for last wish while expensive it does what a lot of gear will do. as for the OW dracs handles that a little. i am thinking some poison charms will fill in the gap as far as helping with the life regen.

if you have LW and gores that is minimum 75% crushing blow that is plenty. not sure if Face is needed. Thinking about going with crown of the ages. will be wearing high lords although since we are paladins sarephs hymn would be another good choice for the extra % damage.

the only thing that bothers me is the physical immunes. one way around that is to use glimmershred but i think those are a little to expensive. in fact i have never seen them at all. or lacerator which gives the amp damage plus it repenishes where the glimmers don't.

13. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

Are you even serious? The only reason why you never see glimmershard is probably because they are so cheap that most ppl don't even care about it. I am quite sure I would let them go for a few pgems.

14. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

People have let em go for 1 pgem before.

Anyway remember, that poison damage is not carried over to smite so only OW will do.

15. takeyourtime

takeyourtime Diabloii.Net Member

how?

Ok , now please tell us how u beat uber trist meph with - 100 resistances ??/
    :scratch:

16. PlayWithHonor

PlayWithHonor Diabloii.Net Member

Uh... -100 resists WILL get you killed. Just a matter of when and if you die every other run then your set-up is garbage. Not saying you do but if you can survive with -100 resists consistently then your doing something "unique" and should share with us how you do that.

With that aside, seems like the CB vs. raw damage argument strikes again. I'm curious... why not have both? Ever heard of weapon switch people? Why not have your secondary weapon be a Black Flail (Guil + Black = 75%CB) and use it for the first part of the fight. Then, once you've exhausted CBs usefullness, switch to Grief to finish the job? Wouldn't that be the most efficient build? Anyone try this and can comment on it? Only concern I'd have is if I was leaching enough using the flail....

17. Frankeinstein

Frankeinstein Diabloii.Net Member

I don't really play Pally but what about Hwainns belt for "Prevent Monster Heal". That deserves some merit (IMO).

As far as Gimmershed, You really should not discount it. You would be suprised at how fast it cuts down certain imunes, not just PI's. My Assy uses it on a switch with blade fury. She litterly mows them down.
    A lot of the gear you are talking about I use w/ that char & gimmershed works well. Easy to get a good one, hard to get a eth one which is what i need. I also use Stormlash (non-eth)

18. PlayWithHonor

PlayWithHonor Diabloii.Net Member

-Prevent Monster Heal doesn't work on the Ubers.

-Gimmershred is very nice if used properly. I have a 1 pt smiter that is a conviction/zealot. When I'm around Oblivian Knights I switch to Gimmershred and start throwing axes... with my level 25 conviction their defense is reduced such that I always hit and with their elemental resistances in the negatives Gimmer REALLY hurts them. Very nice use there.....

19. hahaman

hahaman Diabloii.Net Member

Cta?

wats a cta

20. hahaman

hahaman Diabloii.Net Member

whats a CTA?