Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

uber mephisto minions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Sound, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Sound

Sound Diabloii.Net Member

uber mephisto minions

Hello, I have a question regarding fighting uber mephisto. I've never been to trist before so I'm theorizing a little bit but here it goes: is it neccesary to have high fire resistance while fighting meph alone? I know he only has lightning / cold / poison spells, but how about his minions - skeleton mages - do they deal any significant fire damage? I'm thinking of going there with nagative fire res, would that mean I'll die constantly ;)?

2. freakydoctor

freakydoctor Diabloii.Net Member

Re: uber mephisto minions

there is also diablos minions and diablo who may get ya with fire dmg but the minions are pretty powerhouse dont advise going in with - fire res

3. Sound

fighting vs diablo I'll have fire res at max with a lot of absorbtion, my only concern are meph minions ;)

4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

why bother switching? what if you drag the wrong one your way while you're less than ideally geared for that one? have stacked res all the time and then you dont have worry about it.

ps. you dont need "a lot of absorbtion" you dont need any really.

5. freakydoctor

freakydoctor Diabloii.Net Member

tht is what i meant i have done ubers many times and takes alot of luck to get just meph sometimes and if dia/baal come at u as fast as they do u will die then cant recover body at all

6. Sound

I really appreciate your help, as I said my only knowledge about uber trist is from youtube videos and I thought it's easy to play it smart and safe. I'll rearrange my char then;) thanks a lot

7. Millard

Millard Diabloii.Net Member

If you get a rising sun amulet, diablo's balrog spawns heal you with their inferno, even through mephy's conviction aura (and my fire res isn't even capped *before* the conviction). I usually go strait for diablo so he spawns his balrogs, which heal me while I fight Mephisto.

The thing about inferno is it hits once every other frame, which causes the +65 fire absorb to proc every other frame... so each inferno should heal you for 812.5 life per second minus whatever fire damage it actually does.

crawling: you don't *need* any absorption, but rising sun at minimum sure makes it a hell of a lot easier.

edit: and to the original question, meph's spawn mobs are a joke, not dangerous at all, although some of them shoot a weak firebolt.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  8. Sound

I was thinking about rising sun too, however I didn't realize that it allows for such strategy ;) I guess I'll just try few approaches and see how it works

9. PorkusMaximus

PorkusMaximus Diabloii.Net Member

Getting meph alone is pretty easy in my opinion, although sometimes he gets stuck behind/in a house which can be annoying. Whenever I do ubers I always find it tricky to separate diablo and baal so I end up fighting them together but I prioritise Baal due to his mana leech.

10. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

That is how the Sorceress' Inferno skill works when used by players. Megademon Inferno only fires a single 0.6 second burst, during which only three missiles will strike a stationary target: thus Pit Lords can apply up to 144-198 total base fire damage per burst by applying 48-66 fire damage three times.

The Rising Sun Amulet applies 66 Fire Absorb at level **, so even if Fire Resist -100% doubles this fire damage to 96-132 you will always at least break even when non-critical damage is applied and current life <= maximum life-FA. Taking critical hits into account, a level ** character with FR -100% and 66 FA would gain 12.3 life on average from each burst.

11. Millard

weird, it seems to heal a lot faster than that. IDK, maybe its cause there are 3 of them?

I may have to do some tests with just me and a balrog later. :pP

edit: did some testing, i think you're right. doesn't seem to heal as much as i thought it did, but still gets the job done when there are 5 of them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  12. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry, you're right: taking critical hits into account, a level ** character with FR -100% and 66 FA would gain 12.3 life on average from each missile, not each burst. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, after doing some tests of my own, I found out that while the Inferno of the Megademons that spawn in Act 4 (megademon1-3 in MonStats.txt) applies damage three times per burst, that of the Megademons that spawn in Act 5 and the Pandemonium Event (venomlord and megademon 4-6 in MonStats.txt) applies damage five times per burst.

This means the Pit Lords of the Pandemonium Event actually apply a total of up to 240-330 base fire damage by applying 48-66 base fire damage five times per burst: taking critical hits into account, a level ** character with FR -100% and 66 FA would thus gain 61.5 life on average from each burst.

13. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Why worry? Just lure out meph first. Meph will follow your character because you will be his lure.

14. Sound

I've done few runs and to be honest I find much more trouble with Izual/Lilith and their minions than whole uber trist combined ;) I believe I've found an ellegant way to lure meph out. I also tried Millard's idea to get free regeneration form megademons and it worked perfectly well, however fighting all 3 ubers at the same time brings the risk of getting locked by the swarm of minions, which happened to me and I had to rejoin ;) Thanks again for answering my questions and giving some helpful hints.

15. Millard

Yes, lilith is a freaking pain, i use a frenzy barb (so no block) and she's harder than all of uber trist combined. I don't know why they made her do so much physical damage.

you might be right about the swarm of minions though. My barb doesn't have a problem with that due to leap (i can pretty much skip anything with that skill). although i usually lure meph out the back, then run back around to the front, so i'm only fighting diablo + baal. after that diablo and baal's fire damage minions will help me kill meph.

but paladin is probably a better trist runner overall, i only made a barb cause it was early ladder and they're easier to gear up.

16. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

The worst part of doing Izual was worrying about IM... now that that's gone......

Lillith however, is definitely quite mean, especially if she's in a full room and doesn't want to come out and play alone.

I wouldn't risk doing all 3 ubers unless on a smiter, but a decently geared smiter should be at little risk to begin with.