Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uber-Hunting Questions (Myths?)...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by gibsonSG, Oct 5, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Uber-Hunting Questions (Myths?)...

I have several questions pertaining to the title (topic, whatever...). The first and most obvious would be where an in-depth analysis/guide of the "art" of Uber-Hunting could be found. The others relate to conflicting things that I've heard - here they are:

1. Conviction cancellation? I heard that Uber-Mephisto has a level 20 conviction aura that can be overridden if mine is of a higher level. Some people I've talked to swear this doesn't happen while others swear it does. Supposedly, Uber-Mephisto's aura is what "70% of the hardness of this" is all about.

2. The damage of each Uber boss. Arreat Summit says that each Uber's melee is ~500 damage. The people I've talked to say it's around 2,000+ after "their damage modifiers." Again, on Arreat Summit, I don't see anything "modifying" this average, so I'm a bit confused. I know they hit hard, but...2k per swing?

3. The minions. I've heard they're immune to everything but physical and that they don't "respawn" when killed, per say, but will just keep appearing at random whether you kill one or not. If they just keep appearing exponentially, won't they just fill the screen and not even give you room to uh...exist? Also, I hear that killing a minion group's "leader" (Uber) won't KILL all their minions or even make them stop appearing, but that it will "just slow down their appearance rate."

I don't know how much of what I'm hearing is purely true, how much is true but greatly exaggerated, and how much is just flat out bull****. I have a zeal/smite hybrid dreamdin that I was told upon analysis of my gear "will die a lot." I know what I have to switch out, pretty much but here's my list:

DREAM Bone Visage
    DREAM Kurast Shield
    GRIEF Phase Blade
    CHAINS OF HONOR Archon Plate
    GORE RIDER Battle Boots
    DRACUL'S GRASP Vampirebone Gloves
    THUNDERGOD'S VIGOR War Belt
    Bul-Katho's Wedding Band (5%)
    Ravenfrost (20 dex)
    Highlord's Wrath

I know I need more CB, and I was told I need more lifetap (because "if they do 2k+ damage, you need to stay alive a LOT longer to cast it"). To remedy this, I should do the following - replace GRIEF/DREAM with LAST WISH/EXILE, replace DREAM with Guillerme's Face, and maybe swap the belt out? I have about 2.2k life with MY BO, but more like 3.5k life with a decent barbarian BO. Critique away, please and if I'm not ready, tell me what I should be doing to get ready - I know the Ubers are rough, but I suppose what my questions are getting at is "how rough."

...oh yeah, my (base level) skills are: 20 resist lightning, 20 holy shield, 20 conviction, 20 zeal, 7 (something like that - working on maxing it) sacrifice and 1 into prereqs.

2. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath IncGamers Member

1) First off, your conviction will cancel Meph's... I think his is something like 21, or so... Thus, one point higher than his, and his will be negated...

2) 2k is about right, but this isn't taking into concideration your defence, and your block rate...

3) The Venom lords that come with Diablo are immune to everything but physical... There is a small glitch that makes them respawn even after Diablo is killed for a few seconds, but they are not a problem at all... They are just another thing to leech life off of... The Ghosts and Dark Lords (I think that is what they are) are physical immune, and accompany Baal, so those will pose a bit of a problem, but again, not that much... The skellies that come with Meph are just annoying... As far as I've seen, the Venom Lords are the only ones that respawn even after the Ubers have been killed... And, there are less of them then any given heard of cows...

As far as your gear, you will need Guille's Face, perhaps with an Um, leave the belt... Lightning absorb is always a good thing... Grief should be fine, but you'll want Exile for the extra life tap... Try for a resist Exile... I'd also ditch the BK ring for a Dwarf Star... Fire absorb is good to go with cold and light absorb... This way, you'll have all the hard hitting elementals nulled... Exile along with holy shield will take care of your defence... And, just for the extra resist to all, try putting a Mara's on him...

You're gear really isn't the problem that I'm seeing leading to your character's demise so much as your skill alocation... You really need to have Fanacisim maxed out... This will improve your speed and attack rating so much... Thus, improving your chances of casting life tap, and with a faster smite, you'll get your health back quicker... Why did you max Resist Lightning? Meph is nasty, but not that bad... I wouldn't have even gone for conviction... Too many prereqs that could be better spent else where... One or two points into Salvation would've done you more good then dealing with conviction, or resist lightning...

Hope this helps ya!

*Requiem_Death

3. gibsonSG

...I thought the gear I was wearing would have made my skill selections obvious - it's a dreamdin. I have fanatacism on my mercenary, but I do not know how long she will survive. Not having fanatacism as my main aura shouldn't hurt - I hit the max IAS breakpoint with my merc's aura, and I'm near-max IAS without her. Again, I don't know how long she'd survive, but if it's long enough to get a life tap off then she would probably stay alive as I would. I have...limited funds too. Would it be best for an exile or should I shoot for the last wish phase blade? Last wish gives %CTC life too and it has 60%-70% crushing blow which would be quite sick with smite. It shouldn't be too hard to get a guiermme's face either, right?

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Not very long. The super tanks Act 2 mercs don't fare too well in there either, so the Act 1 merc won't last long. Even though she's ranged, she sometimes wander into melee range for some reason.

5. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Does act1 rogue equip same AI as act3 feeblewolves?

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

You have little CB and poor AR. You need heaps of CB, and if you want to use zeal, heaps of AR. Your lightning damage doesn't matter much, it's CB that kills them.

7. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

How come no one else has told him to just get a life tap wand on switch?

If you're worried about how long it will take for the initial cast just buy a wand with life tap charges. They are pretty easy to shop for. That way you can cast it initially. Then switch weapons and you should be able to keep it recast pretty easily. No fuss. No muss. (Whatever muss is. I think it's bad. So, you don't want any of it.)

8. gibsonSG

AR is irrelevant when using smite. I will be able to get items that grant more crushing blow with relative ease in short time. I mean, sure if you want to use zeal for casting life tap then maybe AR would play a larger factor, but as far as I recall, smite "always" hits and thus, works independantly of AR. It won't leech but it will work with crushing blow AND %CTC spells, correct? Another thing I hear is that CB just makes the job easier. When life tap is on, you pretty much stay alive, so the more CB you have the quicker the job is but it is not absolutely essential (though I'm still going to end up getting a Last Wish Phase Blade and an Exile sometime in the near future).

9. Evrae Altana

Which is why Merick said "you need heaps of AR, if you want to use Zeal."

If you're using Smite instead, disregard AR.

10. jag

jag IncGamers Member

AR is a concern for an always hit smiter? Even 1 point smiter will work better than a maxed out zealer.

You actually have alot better gear on than most people do when the 1st tackle the ubers.

After get settled on what you are wearing you do need a stategy in tristram. Its best to seperate the ubers and to kill meph 1st to get rid of his conviction. Once he is gone i have no doubt you could jump right inbetween diablo and baal and all their minions and stomp them down easily.

11. gibsonSG

...yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just need a key item or two and I should be ready. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - some people on my F-list (who actually saw what I had too) said "you will die instantly." It made it sound like I didn't have a chance in hell of beating these guys. They're also the same ones that told me the conviction doesn't cancel because "Meph's aura isn't really conviction, but is very similar to it." I found that conflicting because first of all, I know people who've run Ubers with far less than I have now, and secondly, the freakin' Arreat Summit says his aura is, in fact, conviction.

12. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Best to sum it up this way --

Equipment wise you need 3 things--
    1. crushing blow (seen guides as low as 40% - recommend 60%+)
    2. Life tap (One or combination of: dracs, lw, exile, life tap wand Very handy too)
    3. High stacked resistances/or way to cancel mephs conviction. Light/fire sorb helps some.

13. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

I've done Uber Trist with 15% CB and Dracs as the only source of Life Tap without deep stacking, done not once.

May have had something to do with 5k life, though. =)

14. Evrae Altana

Any nonzero number is enough really. More CB mean the Ubers will croak faster obviously.

15. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

I agree with that.
    With life tap your character is immortal.
    But of course, more CB = less time taken :azn:

16. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Throw on a pair of Goblin Toes and that's enough CB right there. If you're a dreamer, you could probably do it with JUST Dracul's, Grief and Goblin toe, though it might be boring...waiting for things to die with 25% CB can get old. But like IntX said, once that LT goes off, you're golden.

17. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

You'll do fine with your current gear/skill setup. Keep Grief, but get a hold of Guillaume's Face helm, merely a few pgems away. If you already have near-max resists, and run your level 21+ conviction against meph, you'll have no dramas. 50% CB is plenty (Guill's + Gores) and the OW from Drac's will cancel their regen.

Smiters and zealots usually counter Meph's conviction with Salvation, but your own Conviction is better.

As for people saying the ubers do 2k+ damage... they're nuts. Meph's fancy light ball might, but not his physical attack. AS should be correct on this. Meph's light ball can be resisted/absorbed.

My vanilla Fanatic Zealot has only 1450 life, and I never die in 1 hit. 0% DR, almost max resists, and I solo the ubers with ease. Oh, and i'm still using Guardian Angel... godly...

18. gibsonSG

...ok - sounds good. I'm gonna try and get a hold of that Guillerme's Face and maybe take this sucker on a test run - I have an organ set that I've been DYING to test-run, but the lag has really been ubterly obscene recently. I've had pings be CONSISTENTLY over 3k. For this character, I really only die under two circumstances; iron maiden, and LAG (and usually they're both part of the same episode - or, one happens while the other's not too far behind).

EDIT
    I was also wondering if anyone could give me some strategies or point me out a guide or something about Uberin'. Perhaps a layout/strategies to isolate the three guys so I can take 'em on one at a time. Is keeping them apart hard or not? Smite has knockback, and I don't want to be knocking one of 'em into the other...

Also, I was wondering if a WW barbarian would be a good support for me while I'm doing this. My brother has one and I think his BO would be more helpful to me than mine from CTA. However, the same people who told me this other stuff said "he'd be dead" too. I fail to see how, as there's not really guys casting iron maiden or anything...

19. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath IncGamers Member

Knock back will not effect bosses, IIRC... I know for a fact it doesn't knock the Uber 3 back at all...

Make sure you have stuff to cause open wounds too... This will stop their life regeneration... I'm still quite concerned about your lack of a Fanaticism aura without your merc... Is it possible for you to put a point into it? Because even just one with some plus skills gear will do wonders for your survivability...

Also, have you tried the mini ubers yet? Keep us posted on your progress, I'm really interested on how your dreamer will do against the Ubers!

*Requiem_Death

20. gibsonSG

...the mini ubers are a piece of cake - I've done them several times each. I remember doing the first one - Lilith - and asking friends which was the hardest. They said Lilith and I was kinda like "huh?" because I basically raped her so hard that, well...you get the picture. So yeah - the first 3 go down with relative ease. I assume added CB will help a little more against the "big 3."

EDIT
    You've gotta hear this. I asked why it seems that torch/organset prices look like they're increasing, and someone told me that the "ubers are getting harder and the good stat torches are getting rarer." I asked him how he could tell, and he said "experience." Doesn't make sense - if the stats of the monsters were altered, wouldn't it happen first via a patch and/or secondly, Blizzard updating the Arreat Summit with that information? I somehow have a feeling that this guy's trying to "scare" me into NOT hunting these guys based on some of the stuff I'm hearing. I'm assuming that all who have given me info/comments so far are experienced torch runners as well. Now, why I seem to get different info from this guy/these people is beyond comprehension...