Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

uber hammerdin with smite AND zeal?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by obeliskthetormentor, Apr 24, 2008.

1. obeliskthetormentor

obeliskthetormentor IncGamers Member

uber hammerdin with smite AND zeal?

HI, I plan on using my hammerdin to do uber trist once I do some gear changes. However, I was wondering if it would be wise putting a point into both sacrifice and zeal to take care of the minions that spawn around the uber three.

Since I will be switching over to melee gear, I obviously wouldn't be able to take them down efficiently with blessed hammer. And since smite is only good against a single target such as bosses and not against crowds, is it worth putting a point into zeal just for crowd control? I have enough plus skills to take zeal up to five hits.

Your insights and opinions will be very much appreciated.

2. Edge Calibur

Edge Calibur IncGamers Member

Re: uber hammerdin with smite AND zeal?

Since your truly a Hammerdin, you should have spent more of your points to Blessed Hammer, they also use the Concentration Aura to improve the damage for Blessed Hammer by 50%...and Zeal is useful with Concentration, since it can Be uninterrupted with attacks and it can enhance the damage more than Might, its quite good too, especially with those other Melee mages....unless your alone, your party members will always help you run through a crowded plot...Smite is good as well, but make sure your shield is something that can smite them for good....you may also want to ally a Necromancer, since his "Life Tap" curse can heal you on your way to using Zeal or a Druid with his spirits to give a Thorns Aura at the same time or by improving your HP by like, 50% or so...but if you want to improve your Hammerdin skills, try fighting in Doodad-free Areas like in the Arcane Sanctuary, The Secret Cow Leven, or in the Sandy Act IV places...Tristram has many buildings, and it can kill your Blessed Hammer Skill if it hits a wall...

3. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Truth be told, you will still be able to take down minions effectively with hammers. Maybe it will take a little longer, but still relatively easily.

It's just THAT overpowered.

4. Edge Calibur

As long as he's using it on the Doodad-free areas? He'll be slaying monsters faster, just not in those Caves, Tombs, Dungeons......because there are many walls that can interrupt a Blessed Hammer....Put at least 2 points in Holy Shield so that you can get a good takeover from Smite....

5. obeliskthetormentor

obeliskthetormentor IncGamers Member

Wait, shouldn't I at least put a point into fanaticism and use that as the main aura instead of concentration? According to my knowledge, if I am to be using a grief pb, I would hit the next bp with fanaticism.

Or would I be better off using concentration since it's maxed? Can someone please offer your opinion as to which aura would be better against the ubers?

And also, what's a Doodad?

6. Edge Calibur

A doodad is a terrain decoration (such as houses in Tristram, the trees in a certain wilderness or an Obelisk from the Cathedral)....I totally forgot about Fanaticism, Concentration can increase the effectiveness of your Blessed Hammer (Use a good Flamberge or a Claymore) Fanaticism helps a lot for Zeal as well, since Fanaticism increases both your attack rating and your attack speed, You might want Sacrifice if you have a Necromancer with you, since Sacrifice can kill 8% of your Max HP and Life Tap can turn 50% of the weapon's attack damage into life.....but use it with weak minions or something. Sure, Zeal can attack multiple times, but that is quite slow, use a good attack aura with Sacrifice for a good deal of getting HP and take less damage.

7. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

all you need is 1 point 1 smite and a guillaume's face/something with OW
    edit: and source of life tap ofc:)

8. Edge Calibur

Also, a Necromancer's Lower Resist increases the effect of your Hammerdin's Blessed Hammers...All of the Necromancer's Curses are useful to the Hammerdin or even a Smiter....Use Sacrifice to deal enormous damage and make a pact with Life Tap.

A Level 9 Sacrifice and a Level 2 Concentration is more powerful than a level 5 Zeal, but your a Hammerdin though....its your choice....Take a Very Fast Attack Speed 200-300 DMG Flamberge for example, it can swing once per 500 milliseconds, Compare hitting it with a 5 hit zeal which turns attack speed to 1 hit per .25 seconds....So damage Would be 1000-1500 per 1.25 seconds, and with Sacrifice and Concentration: you gain 300% Damage and 75% more damage from the last 300%, meaning you can deal 600-900 with the Sacrifice PLUS 1050-1575 damage when compared with Concentration, so that would be 2100-3150 damage per second...but you'll lose 168-252 hit points per second so you'll want a Necromancer if you wanna stay alive...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  9. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

AFAIK, LR no longer increase the damage of hammers.

Anyways, with a grief, you don't need fanat.