Uber Druid? (Not what you think.)

Psychonautical

Diabloii.Net Member
So there seems to be two main builds regarding an Uber Druid: The Wind Druid (in my opinion, very hard, and I am not looking for a challenge) and a Ribcracker fury druid.

I want a druid for Ubers because of its high life.

But I wonder, why is Fury always the go-to melee skill over Feral Rage? Is it just a speed thing? AR? Damage?

In my mind, I would prefer the single-target instead of spreading my (albeit superior) attack among many of the minions.

Also, I was considering making him a Wind/Rage hybrid. Since CB is my main get, I don't care too much about gnarly damage as long as he can leech fast enough. I did some skill research and found that by maxing Lycanthropy and leaving Werewolf and Feral Rage at 1 I still get the good life benefit and only miss out on about 12% IAS and some damage and attack rating. Though the AR is still pretty high, so I am not worried.

The skills would be all maxed Wind skills and maxed Lycan with the one point in others mentioned above. No summons.

Gear would be:

Jalal's with Um, probably
Elite Fort
Stormshield
Last Wish PB (I have a nice 13% sup PB)
T-God's
Gores
Lavagout if AR is a problem, Laying of Hands if not
Highlord's
Raven
Dwarf Star (for sorb and magic dmg reduction, may replace with BK or rare.)

First, would Ribby really be superior over having a shield? I also like the DR and resist from Stormshield, so I don't see why an Up'd Ribby is preferable other than being a budget option.

Second, would Fury really be the better choice, and should Feral Rage be maxed?

Third, any thoughts on the hybrid idea? It is mainly for the maxed Cyclone Armor, but I figured the Hurricane would keep some of the non-cold-immune minions at bay if not dead.

Lastly, does Feral Rage leech work on Uber bosses?(or any bosses, really?)

If the wind skills aren't worth it, my next approach would just be to max Werewolf and Feral Rage to max out my damage,speed, and attack rating. But seriously, am I that better off with Fury and Ribcracker than with Feral Rage and Last Wish?

All help appreciated. Thanks!

Archone

Diabloii.Net Member
Ribcracker druide, using Fury has worked before.

Only lifetap works against the bosses.

Necronium

Diabloii.Net Member
you will not go wrong with last wish. It has everything you want for ubers rolled into 1 weapon. HIgh CB, Fade, Tap. but it is very expensive to make. Upped ribby is a much cheaper option. Fury is there for speed though, main thing is to get those cb procs off as fast as you can.

Psychonautical

Diabloii.Net Member
I know my post was lengthy, but I cannot help but feel it wasn't entirely read.

Wealth is no issue. I can get a Last Wish easy.

I wanted to know mainly if:

1. Feral Rage would be a better or at least comparable choice over Fury since I can focus on one target instead of wasting hits on minions.

2. If so, would one point in it and Werewolf with maxed Lycan be sufficient so that I may max the Wind skills

Thanks for answering about the leech, though!

Necronium

Diabloii.Net Member
Im not sure which will hit faster im going to say its prob close but like i said last wish has everything you want. Put it in a pb for speed and unbreakable

Fury will be better if comparing skill vs skill but you can charge feral and then attack with fury for the best.

When i get hom i can find. Hybrid guide for you.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Necronium

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry for double, but by hybrid i mean fury/feral. It probably wouldn't b worth the elemental/fury for ubers.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member
First, would Ribby really be superior over having a shield? I also like the DR and resist from Stormshield, so I don't see why an Up'd Ribby is preferable other than being a budget option.
According to this attack speed calculator, a Last Wish Phase Blade (weapon speed -30, but 0 weapon IAS) with level > 3 Werewolf results in a 9 frame Feral Rage attack when you hit and 11 frames when you miss (when you miss, Feral Rage attacks are the same length as standard Attacks). Since the three Evils all have at least 50% chance to block (Baal has 55%), average attack length will be over 10 frames. A Fury sequence of five attacks will totals 39 (7/7/7/7/11) frames, averaging 7.8 frames per attack.

A Ribcracker upgraded to Stalagmite (weapon speed 10 but 50 weapon IAS, or 70 when socketed with a Shael Rune) with level > 1 Werewolf results in a 6 frame Feral Rage attack when you hit and 8 frames when you miss, so average attack length will be over 7 frames (~43% faster than the Last Wish Phase Blade). A Fury sequence of five attacks totals 28 frames (5/5/5/5/8), averaging 5.6 frames per attack (~39% faster than the Last Wish Phase Blade).

Although Werewolf block rate isn't as slow as that of a Werebear, unlike Zeal a Fury sequence can be interrupted by blocking (and hit recovery): this means that if a Werewolf blocks at any time during a Fury sequence, the sequence stops (and if you're holding down the mouse button to attack continuously, all attacks in the subsequent sequence won't actually be executed, resulting in whiffing). Consequently both physical damage Werebears and Werewolves favour two-handed weapons unless dueling.

Second, would Fury really be the better choice, and should Feral Rage be maxed?
Against a single target, Fury is normally superior in almost every way (although Feral Rage starts to have slightly higher +% Attack Rating at higher levels), particularly since Life Stolen per hit from Feral Rage will apply to all attacks for 20 seconds after its last hit. One disadvantage with Fury is that if you run out of mana, unlike every other melee attack it doesn't execute a standard Attack instead: you stop attacking altogether until you regain enough mana to use it again, or you switch to another skill.

If you build a pure physical damage Werewolf rather than a hybrid, then you should be able to put 20 points in Werewolf, Lycanthropy, Feral Rage and Fury with points to spare; if not, then it's only worth 20 points if you use it in preference to Fury. For the purposes of the Pandemonium Event, Feral Rage may be preferable to Fury since it will focus damage and Crushing Blows on a single Evil, rather than spreading it between it and any minions within melee range: even a single minion reduces the number of attacks on the Evil from five to three.

Third, any thoughts on the hybrid idea? It is mainly for the maxed Cyclone Armor, but I figured the Hurricane would keep some of the non-cold-immune minions at bay if not dead.
You cannot cast Cyclone Armour or Hurricane while a Werewolf, and shifting back to human form in the heat of battle isn't advisable. Fully synergised level 23 Cyclone Armour absorbs 1,580 total fire, lightning and cold damage, which may not last as long as you'd think; Hurricane with 20 points in Cyclone Armor lasts for 50 seconds, which means it should expire before you've defeated all three Evils.

Further, Diablo's Pit Lords are Immune to Cold, as are Baal's Dark Lords, and most of the monsters summoned by Mephisto are Skeleton Archers and Mages that aren't likely to be within Hurricane's 6 yard radius. While Baal's Specters only have Cold Resist 50% (although this will halve Hurricane damage), 0 chill effectiveness means neither cold length nor Holy Freeze will slow them down at all.

Lastly, does Feral Rage leech work on Uber bosses?(or any bosses, really?)
Mephisto has 0% drain effectiveness, so Life Stolen per hit is completely ineffective against him; Diablo and Baal have 15% and 20% respectively, so Life Stolen per hit is effective... but since life stolen is reduced to 1/3 in Hell and then that is reduced to 15% and 20% respectively (so cumulatively to 5% and ~6.7% respectively), it's much less effective than Life Tap (which isn't subject to difficulty level penalties or drain effectiveness).

Archone

Diabloii.Net Member
So lifesteal works? Pretty solid.. But it takes more than a lifesteal ring to manage that lifebulb! ;)
(ie, 10%lifesteal from items is actually reduced to lower than 1%!!)

Onderduiker is still on top of the knowledge scale! Thanks!!

Bjam

Diabloii.Net Member
I am back from the dead. I have moved on to D3 and haven't been back here in well over a year, but some of the misinformation in this thread left me no choice but to reply.

Last Wish is TERRIBLE for a Druid. The mechanics are very different vs. a Paladin, as such, Last Wish is dog slow and onderduiker nailed it. He is spot on for all his other advice and info too. Amazingly, the guide I made long ago still applies. CB + fast attack + life tap + super high resists = dead ubers.

Long live Ribby Druids!!!

Psychonautical

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks the the heaps of help! A few points to note:

First, I never assumed Feral Rage would replace Life Tap, just was wondering on its effectiveness regarding any period until Tap triggers, which you answered.

Second, upon reviewing some breakpoint tables, I find it strange no one has mentioned one of the greatest pros to using Ribcracker in wolf form: Hit recovery. I didn't know until recently that Wolf form grants the fastest hit recovery in the game at a very easy to attain point, so the 50% recovery on a Ribcracker would indeed serve a Wolf druid VERY nicely!

Thanks again guys! I still may try out the Wind hybrid for his non-Uber exploits, but if all else fails, there's always tokens.