Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tyrael: Badass / Wimpass

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Romak, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Romak

Romak IncGamers Member

Tyrael: Badass / Wimpass

Okay, so I noticed many people around the community like the Archangel Tyrael as a character, refering to him as a badass in golden shiney armor. Excited to see him in Diablo 3? Why is that?

Let's take a look at his role so far.

*Gave the Soulstones to the Horadrim, only to find that instead of imprisoning the Prime Evils they just empowered them. The Prime Evils easily managed to corrupt the stones. FAIL

*Chased down the Dark Wanderer. He found him in Tal-Rasha's tomb and the two battled... (just look at cinematic 3) he fights the Dark Wanderer who is completely unarmed. Swinging his shiney blade around unable to lay a scratch on the wanderer. Baal snatches his sword and the two (presumably) overwhelm Tyrael, leaving HIM trapped inside the tomb. FAIL

*The heroes find Tyrael and free him from the tomb.
    "I thank you, mortal, for my freedom. But I did expect you earlier. I am the Archangel Tyrael. I came here to prevent Diablo from freeing his brother, Baal. But I have failed". Damn straight, you failed...

*Well, now that Tyrael is free, it would make sense if he came with the heroes to help them fight the Prime Evils right? -Nope, Tyrael will sit his *** and make us do the job. But don't worry, he got a perfect excuse for that:
    "I am broken and the energies that tie me to this world are diminishing rapidly. You must take up this quest...". WHAT!? energies? So what are you gonna disappear in a *poof* any time soon? Doesn't seem like it. Act 5 - you're still there!. LIE FAIL.

*Act 4: There he is again... sitting in the corner crying about how Izual tricked him. Why don't you come and help me fight some demons?
    "I have been forbidden to aid you directly, save for a few bits of wisdom. For this is the hour of mortal Man's triumph . . . your triumph."
    First it was your energies and now you have been forbidden? Forbidden by who? The High Heavens? You already disobey them by being here, so what the hell?! Start making sense!

*Tyrael destroy the Worldstone. Probably his only badass moment in the game... although it takes him a while to charge up his throw, killing a giant rock can be nothing else but an epic win.

So yeah. After the actions he took, I can't imagine him doing anything that makes sense in Diablo 3... I mean, the guy can't even hit unarmed men.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

Re: Tyrael: Badass / Wimpass

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like at the point of the battle the Wanderer was all Diablo. Not to say he was as powerful as Diablo when in human form, but like in the same way Ghost Rider is a beast even though Zarathos power is being held back by human Johnny Blaze.

3. Khan

Khan IncGamers Member

Tyrael has gozu armor, has cool angel wings, is mysterious(cant see his face anywhere) but i think the biggest reason why diablo fans look forward to seeing him in d3 is because it is not known what happened to Tyrael after destroying the worldstone. Im sure there's loads of speculation about this somewhere.

4. BlackIrix

BlackIrix IncGamers Member

This guy's hoping he appears as an enemy, having been twisted by shards of the corrupted worldstone that he so effortlessly destroyed.

5. Romak

Romak IncGamers Member

I think you guys missed most of the point I was trying to make. The guy was really but a minor character full of excuses and absolute 'fail'. Now... he's on the front cover of the Diablo site, the BlizzCon banner and so on... I don't understand why should anything center around this guy.

When he fought the dark wanderer, I don't think the wanderer was even half as powerful as the Diablo the character fights. It only makes sense that his true form would be much stronger. So the hero was able to defeat the true all mighty Diablo in his sanctuary and Tyrael couldn't deal with something barely as powerful. I mean, just look at cinematic 3, the wanderer is on the ground while Tyrael keeps lashing the earth with the sword, it's pretty pathetic.

Even if he have a big part in the closing scene of Diablo 2. I don't think that Tyrael as fallen angel would be a bigger challenge than... say... Izual.

6. GuardianHadriel

GuardianHadriel IncGamers Member

it seemed to me that in the battle with Diablo there was no effort directed at killing Diablo, Tyrael was just holding him back from freeing Baal and trying to capture Diablo. and Tyarel was not in his grandest form...the powers that held him there wouldn't let him kill Diablo since The High Heavens thinks that sanctuary should kill Diablo withoutt help or not at all. The wanderer he fought was the Warrior from D1, saying much about how strong he was...

sorry for the gramatical anomalies, i'm swedeish and tired...

7. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

It's obvious that Tyrael planned to fail all along.
    He planned this from the moment he gave the soulstones to the Horadrim and tricked everyone, especially his peers, into looking the other way when he was *forced* (yeah right) to destroy the worldstone.
    His reasons for wanting to destroying the worldstone will likely be revealed in Diablo 3.

8. Romak

Romak IncGamers Member

I like this idea, because it actually make sense ^^

If I remember correctly, Tyrael first disobeyed the High Heavens when he gave the soulstones to the Horadrim. When we see him in the game he's already an outcast of heavn, amirite? The orders were clear "Not to interfere". Since he already broke that one... it would be stupid not aid the humans in battle.
    "Okay, so I will help these mortals, but not ALL the way...". I think that in the battle with the wanderer he was... pretty much trying to hit him with that sword, not to avoid hitting him. Then in Act 4 he's being all loyal again? Something's fishy with him.

Y'know, it reminds me alot of "Supernatural" season 4 :D

9. Funkopotamus

Alternately, he could have the Boba Fett effect. Boba Fett didn't do anything, at the time, but die ridiculously and everyone loved him.

10. razen

razen IncGamers Member

well, this is essentially the proverbial "if god is so powerful, why doesn't he just..." argument

have you actually seen any other super being on the good side trying to fight the forces of evil? I mean... hell has the PRIME evil... honestly, military rank wise, Tyrael is only about the same as Andariel. So where the heck is the big mamba... the big G man?

(of course, I understand that there is supposed to be this super dragon god that is also the creator of sanctuary. it makes sense for him to create everything and not take side (because they are all his/her creations), but did he conviniently forgot to make a PRIME GOOD for the high heaven?

so don't blame tyrael, he's fighting out of his class. blame his no-show boss. HE/SHE should be the one fighting.

11. Funkopotamus

Based on my loose and vague understanding of the lore, Tyrael's boss(es) don't care, they just want Sanctuary destroyed. Also, I don't think Diablo is from Sanctuary.

12. rrrrathmaberollinhisrs

rrrrathmaberollinhisrs IncGamers Member

Actually I think what you're referring to there is just what the Necromancer's believe about the origin of the world. Their own "lore", kind of like the Druids' with their bigass tree and the Barbs' with "Bul-Kathos". According to them - it's a big dragon on whose back the world rests (no mention of the elephants though ;) ). It's from the Diablo II manual on the Necromancer's character page.

Though from what I've heard the books (haven't read any personally so don't know for sure) have retconned that or at least added to it anyways in saying that Rathma was one of the first "Nephalem"/Ancient Ones/Half Demons or whatever. So if so that's pretty cool for them.

13. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

According to the books Rathma was indeed one of the first Nephalem, and also the first follower of Trag-Oul (the entity that looks like a dragon). Trag-Oul came into existance when Sanctuary was created.

14. Romak

Romak IncGamers Member

*sigh* I see that the arguement whether Trang-Oul is real or not was brought here as well. The whole thing with the dragon and Rathma is necromancers' stuff. Trang-Oul doesn't have anything to do with the High Heavens.

I just want to comment about Tyrael's rank. As far as it known from games + books, the High Heavens have Angels, and Archangels. While the Burning Hells have Lesser Evils and Prime Evils (I think that normal demons are just evils spawned by a higher rank demon... not sure though).

The High Heavens are ran by the Angiris Council which is a council of Archangels who command the other Angels. Tyrael (Archangel of Justice) is one of them... his fellow Archangels demanded not to help the mortals from him. He disobeyed and came to Sanctuary to help the mortals... when you think of it, nothing he did actually helped :S that was my point of everything.

Regarding rank, you could assume that Lesser Evils are as powerful as Angels and Archangels are as powerful as Prime Evils but you can't really tell. If there is God however, there should also be a Satan because the Prime Evils are not the absolute rulers of Hells either :/

15. razen

razen IncGamers Member

Is that so? I always assume the Prime Evils are the ultimate manifestation of everything bad (so real world Satan... but real world Satan is not really the ultimate bad... he is just the slightly higher than Archangel, but below God bad... since Bible said nothing equals God, but that's another discussion).

I always assumed that angels were like the 1st line fighters, like the millions of skeletons/cows you slaughter in the game. Of course, there are champion/unique angels which were like the cow kings (or Izual essentailly for the side of good)

That's why I theorized that Archangels were only the equivalent of lesser evil (The 2nd line uber evil) like Azmodan, Duriel, Andariel (and 2 other doods... forgot name)

Well, it is what it is. If archangels are indeed the prime good, then I guess Tyrael is pretty weak. Either that or we just give Prime Evil too much credit. (So it's like a weakling vs another relative weakling) They did get defeated twice. So perhaps the strongest force in the Sanctuary aren't high heaven or hell, but Sanctuary humans?

(which wouldn't make sense, because if prime evil is the ultimate manifestation of evil quality, where is the Lord of Caring or Lord of Loving... or some cheesy things like that for the side of good? It really seems like the archangels were more "human" like in dealing politics... much like the lesser demons, whom does not necessary want the influence of evil to spread, but to play political games in terms of control portions of hell... am I overthinking this?)

16. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Personally, I think it would be badass either way. Meaning, I think it would be sick if he truly is good, trying to help, and I think it would be sick if he becomes a major villain. You have to admit, it would be pretty killer to slay Tyrael. His gear would be SICK as a Set Item.

Anyway, it's possible he's evil, or it's possible he's failing to help on purpose. Perhaps he is there to help the humans indirectly, give them inspiration and hope. He doesn't want to do anything for them, but "teach" them how to do it for themselves.

17. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

umm isn't it pretty obvious tyrael going to be the bad guy in diablo 3? i havn't examined the plot in any way or really followed it but i'd be shocked if he isn't a boss of some type. and the reason he sucks so bad in d2 is because he's not really on your side.

18. rrrrathmaberollinhisrs

rrrrathmaberollinhisrs IncGamers Member

They'll have to upgrade him some y'know. That is if he's evil and a boss and whatnot. Cause I cannot really see him as a boss character the way he is now. Even the way he is on the site page. That would be like a Summoner or Nihlathak boss battle. They'd have to scale him up a bit or something or make him half-demon or something like that.

As to his power I, too, had thought that he was just a henchman in the ranks of heaven. Like a middle-level-guy somewhere. If he is 1 part of the 5 guys that are the top in heaven then it does seem that he's kind of weak. But then that still makes him 1/5th while each of the evils are 1/3rd. It makes the whole turncoat thing seem more probable. And you got a point with the whole bit about Diablo being under the sway of the Warrior at the time he was fighting Tyreal but maybe Tyreal is weaker in Sanctuary? Didn't it look like he was winning until Baal got freed? Anyway

Maybe the Angus Council or whatever it's called can combine into an uber-angel like the megazord? Or maybe he'll steal all of the other angels' power and that's how he becomes the big boss.

19. Rancors

Rancors Banned

If you read the book, Tyrael is never evil. sure, blizzard can put a twist on his character since it's their game.

If we want to fight angels, i say it would be Inarius. He basically has the same physical features like Tyrael, but he is a lot more powerful. in the book, Inarius isn't exactly friendly...

20. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Well, we'd have to go all the way in a crusade into hell, assault Mephisto's Cathedral of Hate, free the Angel and somehow have to kill him.

w8 aminute....that'd be amazing.