Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Two Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ravenclaw, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw IncGamers Member

Two Questions

Here we go...

1. This happens to me occasionally:-
    The game freezes and quits to windows in Act 4 - mostly just as one enters or within the Chaos Sanctuary, and sometimes in the Plains of Despair/River of Flame.
    The message that briefly flashes is "data file is corrupt"

When i restart, the game is as it was in the last "save and exit".

Anyone else experienced this ? Why does it happen? Any way to get over this?

2. What are the .org files which Atma creates? Probably Hakai will answer this one! Do I need to save them ALL to retain the main .d2s file?

Thanx to all those who answer! :)

2. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

1) Not sure what the cause of this is, but you might try backing up your Save folder, uninstalling the game, and reinstalling it. This has fixed similar problems.

2) The .org files are the backups ATMA makes of your .d2s (character) files. It's rare but sometimes items can be lost via ATMA, and the .org will restore your character and items back to what they were at the last save & exit.

Um... but I'm not Doc. I'm pretty sure this is right, though. :)

3. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Sounds like one of your mpq files is corrupt.
    If you are playing a mod, replace all the mod files with the originals.
    If you are not playing a mod then it looks like a reinstall is needed.

BIG HINT: After installing and patching, take a copy of the entire installation directory and put it somewhere safe. This way, if things do get corrupted all you need to do is copy stuff from the backup, saves a load of time reinstalling

4. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw IncGamers Member

Well, i see your point, but it doesn't happen everytime....just occasionally.
    And i tried reinstalling.
    Some days (even weeks) its absolutely fine....others ...well!!

5. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

It could just be your computer... I know mine is really old and crappy. Often I'll try and take a screenshot and the game will freeze and then I have to reboot, thus loosing the item I was trying to take a screeny of. Also after a few hours of play, my computer literally degrades and nothing works and thus I have to restart every few hours of playing. This may help a bit though... free up your comp's resources by pressing ctl, alt delete and closing out of any programs that you don't need.

6. Stile58

Stile58 IncGamers Member

I may be way off base here, as you are running windows, I just had that same experience on my Mac.

What character is this happening with - or is it generic in act 4??

My problem was occuring with a necro wearing several Trang's items. The solution was to switch gear until act 5. Everything is fine for me now.

Again, this was on a Mac.

-Frank

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

maybe a monster file, or animation file is corrupt, but i guess re-installing woud have solved that.
    and the .org files are the backups of ATMA. keep them all, as it only has the most recent time you changed the file, and if something goes wrong on your existing character just rename the 'character name.org' to 'character name.d2s' and itll work fine.

8. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

If reinstalling won't solve that, you might have problems with the CDs. If you spot errors in other programs, you might be experiencing troubles from a defective RAM, motherboard or processor.

Start by reinstalling the game as Krollin said, and see if the problems remain.