two questions

HamSlice123

Diabloii.Net Member
two questions

Hopefully some of the sages in this forum can help me out...

QUESTION ONE: How does poison damage stack when the duration is different? (e.g. 3 poison damage over 2 seconds + 5 poison damage over 4 seconds) Hopefully that question makes sense to some of you.

QUESTION TWO: Can the horadric cube upgrade formulae be used on items that I have added a socket/rune to? (e.g. trying to upgrade a Guardian Angel with an 'um' to the elite version with Ko+Lem+perf Diamond)

Thanks a lot. Sorry if the questions aren't clear enough.

-Ham

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
1: The rates are added, the duration is averaged.

Example: Say I have 2 poison charms, one is 50 dmg over 5 seconds and another is 100 dmg over 2 seconds (fictious numbers, of course).

Rate of 50/5 = 10 per second
Rate of 100/2 = 50 per second

Total rate = 60 per second
Duration= (5+2)/2 = 3.5 seconds

Venom (the Assassin skill) sets the duration to 0.4 seconds regardless of anything else, so cuts other poison damages down severely.

(The damage is actually computed in 256ths of HP per frame, but the numbers are close enough for general use)

2: Yes, and the socketed item will remain.

Sssith

Diabloii.Net Member
1- I believe it averages the damage. Not sure one that on.

2- Yes you can upgrade an item that has been socketed.
Go here:
http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~deykea/d2armours.html

That site will let you preview the results for an upgraded item. I have heard mixed results when upgrading armor so check it out before you do it.

edit: steep str requirement so check it out.

Starving_Poet

Diabloii.Net Member
1. skills like plague javelin and poison dagger don't count as source when averaging the durations so if you have poison dagger at 100 dmg over 2, a charm at 50 over 5 and one at 100 over 2 it would work like this:
Rate of 50/5 = 10 per second

Total rate = 110 per second

Duration, however would look like this:
(5+2+5)/2 = 6 seconds. So we count all the sources minus the Poison Dagger / Plague javelin. This is useful when you combine one of those skills with a single long duration poison source since you can double the damage by keeping the baddies poisoned for long periods of time.

2. The bug concerns trying to upgrade ethereal armor. Just don't do it :)

HamSlice123

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks everyone!

reason i ask about the poison damage is that I'm trying to decide if a throw-assassin (throwing knives, not traps) with crazy poison damage would be cool or not...Any comments?

-Ham

Starving_Poet

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that you would much rather want to focus on open wounds rather than poison since almost everything has some poison resistance in hell. But if you already have a nice assortmant of good poison charms you'll never know until you try :)