Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Two newbie questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by chaosmonkey, Feb 3, 2004.

1. chaosmonkey

chaosmonkey IncGamers Member

Two newbie questions

I'm sure these have been posted dozens of times, but I've been looking for close to a week now and I haven't found any info on these two questions, so I'll risk being called stupid and ask anyway.

First: How do you determine the speed of the weapon? I know there are various levels of 'fast' and 'very fast'... how do you know what EXACTLY your weapon is? I'm assuming there's a formula, but I sure can't find it.

Second: What are some good attributes to get, offensively, for an Act 3 merc? From what I understand, the damage doesn't actually go up when you give him a more powerful sword, so you basically want swords that have some good mods on them. So which mods are considered good for this merc?

Does "% Damage to Undead/Demon" work? If my merc is a cold merc, and I find a sword that gives 20-40 cold damage, does that affect his spells at all? What about "Hit Blinds Target" or "% Life Drain"? If all of these work, what's the best mods to be looking for? What gems/runes would benefit on a sword?

Basically... is there a list somewhere? heh

I know that the Act 3 merc is considered a waste of effort by a lot of people, but I completely dig this merc. I don't need the killing power, just the extra time that his freezing gives me. And only on my werewolf druid. He's useless on my other characters.

2. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I can only answer the second question as I forget where the ias calulator is.

Good attributes for act3 merc:
    Faster Cast Rate
    + cold skills (for cold merc)
    + all skills
    resists
    life
    doom runeword

3. chaosmonkey

chaosmonkey IncGamers Member

Are those just 'the best', or the only ones worth doing?

I would think a "% against demons/undead" one, or the life drain, or even the "adds 20-40 cold damage" would come in handy as well, but I've no idea if they work or not.

He's not really used as a damage character, but until I can find a sword that adds the items you listed, I could use one of these items here to help me out in the meantime.

4. Any1

Any1 Banned

1) There is Weapon Speed Modifier (WSM) stat associated with each weapon, that dictates the base speed. In addition some characters are faster with certain weapons. All this information is on Arreat Summit. To calculate the exact speed of your attack (depending on gears and skills) check out this site:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

2) AFAIK, the only offensive booster for an ACT-3 merc is +skills. So get helmets, armor, swords, and shields with +skills. For example, a popular early choice for a weapon is:

Culwen's Point (Unique War Sword)

One-Hand Damage: (13-14) To (34-36) (23.5-25 Avg)
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 71
    Required Dexterity: 45
    Durability: 44
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +70-80% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +1 to All skills
    Poison Length Reduced By 50%
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    +60 to Attack Rating

5. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

No. All of those only work on weapon attacks, not spells, so they are useless for an Act 3 Merc.