Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Two handed or one handed sword to paladin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Demppa, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

Two handed or one handed sword to paladin

I'm quite a beginner in this game so I don't really know should I use one handed or two handed sword with my paladin(or maybe something else than sword). :scratch:
    Of course I know that paladins have their shields with nice chances to block but those two handed swords are much more effective. Like I already said I am a beginner: My paladin is reaching the 3rd act in normal difficulty.

Waiting for your answer!

2. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

Pallys love shields!

You can typically get far better mods using a shield, and the one handed swords are often significantly faster than a big dmg 2 hander. If you hit 3 times as often, giving up some dmg is not a problem. Plus, with Holy Shield active, you can easily and quickly reach max blocking, and your defense is increased significantly. Max (75%) blocking means that you only get hit one quarter of the time. Higher defense means those hits that aren't blocked, have less chance of actually hitting you. Shields mean resists, +skills, Life, extra sockets, etc...

Look around, very few pallys use the 2 hnd swords, they usually leave those to the barbarians...

3. prion

prion IncGamers Member

I encourage you to try a two hand sword build but it is hard. barbs and druids have abilities and skills that paladins don't. It's easy--in fact the highest damage at that level--to do 2H sword in A1 and 2 norm, but as you progress its more difficult to stay alive.

Depending on the gear you find, it may be useful. my Frost avenger in 09 used Swordguard and Fetid Sprinkler in nightmare. My 09 fanatic avenger used bstar with a burrito on switch. My current fanatic aveneger uses a sword with a Lower resist wand on switch :D So there's a bunch of neat stuff you can do with weapon switch. While my frost avenger didn't keep the 2H sword out all the time, he used it to charge flayers/carvers and pound down bosses.

In conclusion, play for fun and see what you can do. Just make sure you are aware of potential difficulties.

4. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

prion just said the right thing. If you want things to be done the quick and easy way just read the guilds on the top of the forum.

5. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

2hnd palas can deal more damage/frame than 1hnd palas if well built, but they need a huge change in playing style, as much DR as possible, a BARB merc to fight back to back, FANATICISM is a need for 2hnd pala builds to work and abuse of corners for the monsters to come single-lined to their doom. Holy freeze for 2hnd pala main aura is IMHO not as good as Fana, damagewise, only effectwise, as the HF damage is dealt straigth, not weapon based, and full eficiency with HF is reached with Zeal and 1hnd fast wpn.
    I have a 1.10 2 hnd fana-avenger pala that didn´t died yet xept to a FE, and had 2 back in 1.09.
    Certainly 2hnd aren´t good build choices for 90% of the players today. (ones that run instead of walk when charging, that tank 3+ monsters at once, that die in every tuff boss in hell 1.10, that activate multiple times %tocast on hit in every fight)
    well equiped Barbs > well equiped Guards for Fana palas.