Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Two games on the same PC?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Aranan, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Aranan

Aranan Diabloii.Net Member

Two games on the same PC?

I actually have two CD keys (yay for losing a jewel case and finding it a year later :p) and have recently decided to take a break from ATMA (due to various crashing issues I've had).

I know there's some way to run two copies of Diablo II on one PC so you can have a mule join a game to hold items. I did it years ago, but can't recall how it worked. Could someone please tell me how to go about this?

2. DarkChaos

DarkChaos Diabloii.Net Member

In Windows XP, I understand you can use user switching to run 2 copies of d2... though I don't use XP myself. You can also use a "fixed" d2gfx.dll file and you can run 2 copies.

3. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

I don't remember how to run two instances of Diablo together but I do remember that to network a game with yourself, you had to install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter and then join to yourself via 127.0.0.1

4. Aranan

Aranan Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks, guys. I just tried the user switching thing with XP and it worked. I'll try out the Loopback Adapter tomorrow if user switching turns out to be too much of a bother. :)

Thanks again.

5. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

I can't understand how anyone can go back from Atma to muling via fast user switch. Have you downloaded the last version of Atma? What are your problems exactly? Atma makes a backup of your characters / stashes, so you can't really loose any items...

6. Peppe

Peppe Diabloii.Net Member

With the modified D2gfx.dll it you can open as many windows of D2 as your PC can handle. Google should find it for you... or if we are allowed to mention it phrozen keep should have it somewhere.

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I use fast user switching but only to host with parked char for someone who can't host while I rush them with one of my older chars.
    Atma is the way to mule - go go Doc Tenshi

Edit: I don't understand this .dll change thing. I never did anything like that.

8. zarfen

zarfen Diabloii.Net Member

I have a question.
    I am too lazy to change some files out, so I wondered if it would be possible to du hell hell forge rushes by using the user change thingy.
    Is it any idea at all?
    I mean you could clear the area 100% and then change user, and do what you have to do and then just go ahead, problems might be act bosses though, since you have to bee there as you finish the boss..

On the other hand, how does the spf look upon the dual windom thingy that d2x.ll or what it was named, and is it hard to do?
    I'd really want to do some hfrushes since I got like no rune-wealth at all :p Pul being the highest atm since I went 100% sp ( I recall my fist battle . net hf dropped me a gul, sweet times, too bad I was on NL so it was really damn useless, traded it for some sigon piece (yes, I was very stupid too))

9. DarkChaos

All you do is replace your d2gfx.dll in your d2 directory with the modified file and you can run as many D2 instances as you want provided your computer can handle them...

10. Phosheez

Phosheez Diabloii.Net Member

/hijack
    If you want to find some runes I would suggest doing some LK chest runs. They are quick and you can stock up on charms and jewels as well. I've personally found a vex, um, lem, 2x lum, and many other lower end runes. Marvel has done many more than I and his rune luck has been particularly amazing. I believe he's gotten everything except a Lo. Lk chests drop up to Ber by the way./end hijack

11. zarfen

WOOOT, lk=lower kurast right?
    I heard of lk chest runs, but I had no idea they dropped goodie runes =)
    Does mf have anything to do with popping those chests? and what /p settings is suggested? :grin:

12. DarkChaos

P7. MF does not affect it.

13. zarfen

okay, why p7 and not p8? just curious ;)
    and do you only open the chests? neglecting any enemies?

edit: are we talking any specific chests here, or should I pop all stash'es, and baskets, corpses etc. as well?

14. Phosheez

hmm, i always run on /p8, because thats what jjscud among others do. And no, mf has nothing to do with it so survivability should be your main concern ie resists, life etc.. Personally I dont even bother swinging at any baddies unless they swarm me. Oh, do a search on Lower Kurast or LK runs or something like that. The only things I pop are the 3 chests surounding the fires and 1 weapon rack.

15. zarfen

okay, I try to search ;)

damn there seems to be some problem with thew search for me rightr now :/
    is the chests always at the same places? and are they the only ones worth popping?

16. DarkChaos

P7 = P8 in drops, on Single Player. P8 is rather useless as you're not experience running. :wink3:

17. Peppe

Peppe Diabloii.Net Member

18. Phosheez

Really? even for chests and racks and such? You're certainly rihgt about the experience part though. I use lacerator for chance to flee just so i dont have to fight stuff as much.

19. Randall

Randall Diabloii.Net Member

The loopback adaptor is only there to activate the IP protokoll on XP (so you can host and joint). If it's allready active, don't bother with it.

It's the fast-user switching and/or the dll that allow multiple instances to run on one machine.

But for muling (exchanging items) ATMA is much better.

Randall

20. zarfen

oh thanks I see, I though some chest were dropping more stuff than other, judjing from my ~10 lk runs last day, I found a thul thoug yay, but from a chest near the area after lk, kurast bazaar?
    Anyway, I'm off to spawn a good map with 2 fires ;)

oh, and is the houses next to the fires the only ones worth checking? just wanna make sure =)