Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

two diablo2 games/muling

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by slap, Jun 9, 2005.

1. slap

slap IncGamers Member

two diablo2 games/muling

hi...i am finding lots of very good items, but up until now i have just sold then. i thought, this is a shame to sell these items, especially if i want to play a tweaked charactor. so..while out shopping today i bought another diablo2 game plus expansion pack, so i could set up another account and 'self mule'.

my question.

when i try to install the new diablo2, it just comes up with 'play diablo'. could someone explain how i can install my new diablo2 game on my pc, and how to self mule between the two games.

thx.

2. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

get another computer

using windows XP there is a way with switching users, but requires good computer knowledge... i could explain it, but your GFX/CPU matters, and when you switch users, it could end up crashing one of the game,s and thus your muling is ruined.

there are also other methods, but are not condoned here.

3. slap

slap IncGamers Member

sorted

hi...i have been told how to use my 2 legit copys of diablo2/expansion. the method i have been told does not require any sort of program/file download. it's a simple step by step legit extra account, so i can mule legit items.

so there is no need for anybody to answer my question.

take care all.

4. gorey

gorey IncGamers Member

would you kindly pass that knowledge onto me. i am in the same situation.

*captainsham

5. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

make sure you have 2 copies of d2 classic and d2 expansion with separate cd keys for each. Next, create another account on windows (works of XP only). Install one d2 game on that account and the other d2 game on the other windows account. When muling, have both games open and use window's switch users option.

6. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

The easiest way, of course, is to install the first copy, rename it away, install the second one, and put improved starter programs on both of them (I give these programs different names, so D2 patches won't fail).

This needs double the normal disk space, of course. Therefore, most/all of the improved starters have options to refill the CD key, so you can run both copies from the same installation dir. I can't do it like this because I have an original version and a german one, which I patched "mostly" back to english --- but the original game doesn't accept german CD keys, so part of the 2nd installation is still german.

That way you can just ALT-TAB between the games, instead of having to go through the user switch (which is very time consuming). You also don't need the CD in the drive to play, if you install the game correctly (the "full" installation forgets some *.mpq; copy these to the instqllation directory. I *think* it's the music mpqs)

The improved starter programs fix a lot of little issues like this that the original game loader still has.

7. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

The improved started programs mentioned by Myrakh-2 are illegal third party software. Blizzard has not released or approved any programs to load diablo and avoid the one instance rule.

8. slap

slap IncGamers Member

works

hi....myrakh-2.....thx for the tip about the music file. :)

both legit copies of diablo2 work now, played for 3hours last night with both games running..280+fps and 70ping. :)

take care all.

9. slap

slap IncGamers Member

legit method

hi...as i mentioned in an previous post in this topic. the way i was told to get both games running on one pc, does not require any 3rd party program/any file alteration. it's a simple step by step legit method.

take care all.

10. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

not true.. that's just a way to load d2 without a cd. Basically you just copy some files on the d2 cd into your directory on the computer. It involves no 3rd party programs. Of course, copying those files will take a larger chuck out of your hardrive but with 100 gigs harddrives these days, 2 gigs seems like nothing.

11. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

They may be agains Blizzards terms of use (which, btw, are most probably void where I live), and there may be a forum rule not to discuss them here, but they are definetely NOT illegal (at least not where I live).

*stkrause

12. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Are you aware that you can self mule by simply opening a private game and wait over 5 minutes? The game will then remain open for another 5 minutes with no-one in it, allowing you to switch characters or even accounts, and go back to the private game to retrieve valuable items you can't fit on your original character.

Yes it's a little easier to self mule with 2 copies since you don't hafta wait 5 mins to perm the private game, but I personally don't want to buy another d2 copy. The only major reason to have 2 game copies is to rush and level your own characters..

13. Qutsemnie

Qutsemnie IncGamers Member

I dont know anything about BNet so take what im about to say from that perspective. And also a short note about why non Bnet users would even want to bother with collecting stuff. The short answer is if you have friends that play you might want to hold on to stuff just cause its nice.

So! If your like me you came here asking yourself how do i hang unto stuff without calling a friend and asking them to start a server to mule on. And you certainly want to avoid buying two copies of diablo.

This is what I did just now and it appears to work. Im using windows XP Home. While diablo was going and I was trolling these threads I created a new user account for windows with administrator privaledges. I named it "Diablo". I then went and logged out of my normal windows log in and logged into diablo. I navigated to my diablo install folder and created a shortcut for the diablo.exe. I put it on desktop and started it. I hosted a TCP/IP game. I then made a new character named "ExchangeServer". I then logged out of that windows user and went to my normal windows user log in. I went back to diablo in that account. I hit Join in tcp/ip. And for IP i typed my IP handily at the top of the window. Presto. I selected my main. Im logged into my own server. I dropped a bunch of runes,set pieces, and uniques on the ground. I then went back to character selected and logged in with characters "Runes" "SetOne" "MuleOne" and picked up the appropriate items as I went. Never leaving that windows log in and never touching "Exchange Server"

So some notes. You dont need two unique CD keys to log into your own server. One will do. You dont need to bother with switching user accounts more then once. Your thinking about the problem wrong if your doing that. Just start a toon to hold the server open on your other user account and leave it alone. Then do all your business of dropping and exchanging on your main windows user account like you would if a friend were hosting the server. Heck you can even keep the "ExchangeServer" diablo character running a server while you farm on single player.

Oh and why i didnt use ATMA. It crossed the line in one way. You have to give up your map to stop to exchange items when your a nonBnet farmer. With ATMA I would be able to store items and keep the known map. Thats an advantage and the argument that ATMA gives you no advantage over someone calling a friend to host an exchange server falls apart. Thats my opinion.

This however of hosting your own server to drop things on is as close to vanila as you can get and still self mule. I emphasis again that two CD keys only seems to be required for users that do something I dont. So im assuming those that want to selfmule on BNet.