Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Twins and happiness

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Galabab, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Galabab

Galabab Diabloii.Net Member

Twins and happiness

Imagine two (non identical) twins who were separated as they were babies.
    They have the same IQ.

One of them lets call him Adam, has led a complete life. He was good looking, everybody liked him, he was football star in highschool, good in math, dated all the girls he wanted. Partied hard. Got a great job later, money, family, many children, health. Loved by his whole family. Friends. You get the picture.

Second twin Peter, rather weak and not too handsome, been made fun of in school. Bad at sports. With his idiotic job can hardly afford the cheapest car. Hardly any friends, virgin, bad health and so on.

Now both of them are 80.
    For many years now Adam feels empty, doesnt know what he wants, is afraid of death, is depressed and sad.
    Peter has always been at ease, confident, optimistic and cheerfull.

Now the question is, which one would you rather be?

2. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Twins and happiness

Adam clearly has mental problems.

On another note, I thought this thread was going to be about twins... and Happiness....
    Twins.... and happiness.... ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

me too. ;)

is this another one of those "Answer this question and it reveals a lot about yourself" thingys? i pick Peter. yeah, his life has not been the best, but ya know what? at least he is happy and content. i'd rather be that than feel empty because.... well....

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Which you did not mention is apparently 70 but Adam was adopted by a rich supportive family.
    I'd rather be me.

5. Galabab

hehe I love you guys :D
    24 views and one answer!!
    common this could be the most important thread you ever came across!

like Leo said most people would choose Peter.
    This means that happiness is the only thing we really need. Not money, sex or family.
    We want happiness, so the only question is how to get happiness.
    Isnt it ridiculous that we need one of the mentioned things to be happy? It doesnt make sense. Why should I be happy WITH money, sex and family, but unhappy without?

I mean OK, physical pain is one thing. It has to be prevented. Its a law of nature, more or less. You cant be happy while something is hurting you.
    But everything else is just in our head, right?

6. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones Diabloii.Net Member

Is neither an answer? I'd be Pedam, the perfect combination of both! :jig:

7. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

If Peter is 80 and still a virgin, I'd like to know where that confidence and optimism is coming from.

8. Galabab

@ SeCKEgai:
    exactly! gooooood question! Does confidence consist of sex? Having a big dick?
    thats defintly what most men are proud of.
    Having ****ed a hot girl last weekend? Wow what a great achievement!
    Having looked at the wall all day? booooo. Loser.

If the time to die will come closer, do you believe you will lay in your bed and comfort yourself with the thoughts of having ****ed a lot? Do you really believe this will ease the fear of death? Or will this make you feel better when your old and impotent? As you will tell yourself, whatever I ****ed a lot now I can die.
    I dont think so. Sex is great at the moment of sex. Memories on the other hand are worthless. Memories are lies you tell yourself to comfort you.
    Sex is a stimulus. It exists in the future and in the present but not in the past.
    Memories are phantasms. They dont exist. They are mere chains of associations.
    Is any memory or possession gonna make you feel better when your life is coming to its end?

9. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

i think this can all go back to sex is overrated. i mean, as virgins (and idk about you guys, but im sure someone can relate) you are REEEEEAAAALLLLLY curious, ya know? and some ppl are stronger than others and remain virgins until they marry (which is a good thing!!). but... it's like once you have had it, you're just kinda like, "Ok, i've done it. What next? "COKED OUT AND NAKED WITH A PROSTITUTE LOCKED IN MY CLOSET!!! YES!!!!" (see Charlie Sheen thread for reference)

everyone is diff and require diff needs. i need my family, i need sex (everyone needs sex, even if it is with yourself), and i need nourishment. i have all three. im good to go. :)

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's irrelevant what memories are. It just depends on what they do to you.

We are soon back to the question of what makes people happy.

11. Galabab

@leo:
    Agree on the nourishment part.
    Dont agree on sex and family though. What if you are too old to have sex and your family has moved away? Are you doomed to be unhappy? I BET 99% of people (inculding me) would be!!
    But i just dont see a reason. Why? It doesnt hurt. Its just in your head. And whats in your head is your choice.

@krischan:
    so if i have a yellow monkey toy and it makes me happy its not less valuable than being happy because of having memories of a full life?

12. krischan

It doesn't matter what makes you happy, as long as it does.

13. Mungojerry

Mungojerry Diabloii.Net Member

This thread is trolling? Ofc fornicating with warm females all your life will make you happy. A good memory is priceless. It's all you have left at the end of the day, it is the wave that builds up and pushes you forward.

Bobcox said it: they seem a bit stupid.

14. Galabab

Im so used to being called a troll. I think its cuz my threads are so radical.

@krischan:
    isnt this fascinating? so why do we need all the things Adam has achived if we can just find all the pride and happiness in any trivial thing?
    Is the only reason we dont do it, because we cannot make ourselves believe in it?
    What if we found out a possibility to be happy without having any of these "ending" things.
    The idea to all this came to me as a revelation after I listned to one damn smart guy.
    He said a lot but the key of it was:
    "Dont look for happiness in ending things, look for happiness in eternity"
    "Where is the happiness? Nowhere but inside ourselves!"

I think some kind of spirituality can give us the happiness we want.
    What if Peter was a believer? Yeah he just believes in god and is happy?
    Is this maybe all we need? Find faith?
    And im seying this as a radical atheist.

15. krischan

I think that's a pretty trivial insight :p. Do whatever makes you happy.

16. Galabab

To give a yellow frog toy which makes you happy a higher value than money, success, sex and family is a trivial insight?
    Or is it a trivial insight to look for happiness in eternal values? Common NOBODY, NO ****ING BODY I ever met values spiritual things over material ones.

17. krischan

Did you lick a yellow frog before you wrote that? Please read my previous posting again for the answer.

18. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Aside from Leo's offering, there really hasn't been much offered for discussion. While Krischan went with the quick summary, I did think this thread had some potential for purposeful discussion, though the end result has been more of what was expected.

And, just to expand on Leo's thoughts, I waited a particularly long time before taking off the chastity belt because I needed to be in love with my first partner. While this could have easily happened during the High School days, a bad situation stopped that from happening between me and the first love.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm the oldest virgin I know. I used to get a kick at seeing the shock on people's faces when they found out.

However, truth be told, if they hadn't been surprised, I'd really have felt lousy about myself. If I gave the impression that no one would ever willingly desire to be that intimate with me, then I must be so stereotypical nerdy or weird to be that repulsive.

As I held out a lot longer than the majority of young males in my country (though again I don't blame them either) my fascination and curiosity with sex did grow quite a bit. And when I was finally in love with someone again and able to "partake" in the experience, aside from wanting to have more, I really did get a sense of ok, now what?

As far as going back to the twins, I highly doubt Peter was a virgin at 80 if they had the same IQ (as that would indicate a "reasonable" IQ). But, unlike his twin, he probably didn't focus his efforts upon lavish parties and getting laid as much as possible. Sooner or later, loneliness factors in, and it doesn't matter how many sexual partners you have if there's nothing more with any of them other than sex.

Besides, if you live long enough, you can expect that sex drive to plummet, though considering all the ED drugs out there, even in old age sex is still on our minds ;)

19. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

This reminds of a saying:

"Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you get."

I have nothing further to add because I'm generally not satisfied with what I get. :p

20. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

So why isn't everyone wired up like a lab rat with the trickle current feeding the pleasure center of the brain?

Cheap and legal and you be happy and addicted in no time.
    Happiness is hard to define aside from what that would give you;
    and Memory?

Memory of the Past, is your only guide to the Future.