Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Twinking a Trapsin + General Advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Twibz, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Morning guys.

Fired up D2 again last night to pick up where i left off. Currently have a Blizz Sorc and a Hammerdin steadily improving and doing some MF'ing and i have a Pat'd Fishy also. But its time for something new for me...

Never played Assassins at all and really wanna do a typical lightning trapper (DS, FB, Shadow etc.).

Basically all i am asking for is what you guys would twink with, basic skill point allocation and in what order and then end-game guide to stuff really.

Just a basic overview. I can develop my skills myself and improve the equipment as i go (gear is limited but i have most popular basics)

Breakpoints to aim for would help me too. Cheers :D

2. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

Lightning Sentry and Death Sentry is what you'll need with lots and lots of +skills if you twink. As you twink, add yourself Conviction aura.
    Merc is usually Insight, and if you solo, Fire Blast in case you don't break immunity but want to kill, other syns if you don't care for that.
    Shadow is a must because of hell ancients (you can buff it if you're low on points by 3 shadow tab claws).

If I remember correctly traps work ias based, not fcr.

It is a very safe and easy build (still add life after gear-based strength), so safe actually can kill Nihlatak from so far the quest becomes unfinishable.

Until you can get at least Charged Bolt Sentry you'll progress slowly, and before gaining Insight you'll suffer from low mana (shouldn't be problem if twinked).

3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

The trapasin is usually a quite forgiving build. You can get by without a Shadow if you invest in Dragon Talon and wear CB gear. Drop a few traps, use Dragon Flight to teleport to your target and release a series of kicks and watch its hit points plummet.

4. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Power-shop Hell Anya using Pindle's portal and grab yourself 2 +3 traps claws for your main switch, and 2 +3 shadow claws for your switch to pre-buff with if you don't have anything better right now.

It doesn't take that long, and those weapons can easily take you to end-game. You can try for other useful staff-mods on them if you'd like, but I'm not sure super useful ones can spawn, or will spawn in a reasonable amount of time. I know there are threads floating around about what staffmods can and can't be shopped, I'm sure some quick searching will dig them up. :)

twillight is correct in saying that trap-laying speed is IAS-dependant, not FCR.

EDIT:
    Assassin IAS tables for all your breakpoint needs can be found here

5. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

If we are talking early levels, I'd go pure fire traps until at least nightmare Andy. You can make a super cheap Leaf staff and just walk through all of Normal, then farm NM Andy for whatever low level sets/uniques you might want. Insight polearm on the merc is a no brainer, but finding the 4os stick might be tricky before Normal Cows. Of course this assumes 1.13d so you can reroll at level 50 or so.

6. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the info guys, will be developing this character alongside a Druid Bear build also.

Think i am pretty much certain on all gear but the claws now. What would be a 'dream' set?

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

You can shop NM Anya for +3 trap claws, no need to wait until hell. Hell Anya is kind of late to be shopping claws if you play untwinked.

No need for fire traps other than required as synergies, more than one point in shadow or CB gear either. Just load up on +skills.

Jcakes likes this.
  8. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

Agreed. I often don't even bother with a shadow.

My typical layout for an untwinked trapsin is 20fb, 20ls, 20DS, 20cbs or sweb. 1 point wonders (BoS, Fade, WB, CoS and MB). Priority is to have max LS and max DS along with 1 point wonders ASAP, followed by fb and then either cbs or sweb.

9. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

It's been a while since i played a trapsin, but IIRC you want to avoid those shadowy helps as their traps cancel out yours (once you hit max number of traps).

As far as dream set of claws is concerned, i think that is 2x 3trap/3LS claws. However don't expect to get one any time soon as they are hard to come by. Don't know the actual numbers, but i wouldn't be surprised if you'd find some zods before you find 1 of those claws. You could always shop for them, but they're still incredibly rare. Been visiting Anya for quite some time now as i need two, but still haven't even found one.

10. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

I built a fairly decent hardcore trapper from scratch, so I'll offer my thoughts on this.

First skills. I never needed a shadow master, as I had my merc outfitted with enough defensive gear that he usually lasted long enough for the traps to bring down almost everything. Mind blast is also your friend, and with some +skills will be another key skills for dealing with dangerous mobs like Pindle, etc. FireBlast is also great for immunes and bosses. Remember, you can lay a bunch of traps, then switch and start spamming a 3-4k fireblast while the lightning is going off. This makes running bosses and other targets much faster, even without a conviction aura. Other skills worth using are BoS and Claw Block. BoS increases your trap laying (which is affected by attack speed, not casting) and general movement. Fade is alright, but you'll probably be more than survivable with halfway decent gear. Just max all your traps and drop a point in the others. You may want to use a shadow master until you get your character stronger.

Now for gear. As others have mentioned, the +3 traps/3 lightning sentry is the best to hope for. I got a pair from power shopping Anya, but it took a while and I eventually settled for a +3/+2 second hand, which is more than enough. If you aren't dueling, then you don't need the +2 to all skills claws in my opinion. Socket both with Larzuck and pray for 2. I put some Ists and some resist all jewels in mine, but you can also add whatever fits your fancy. Just remember that the lightning facet jewels don't work with traps!

Other gear is standard: Enigma or Chains of Honor for armor- go with Enigma if you have it. Treachery is also another decent option. Shako for the helmet. Socket with Cham if possible. Arachnid belt, War Traveler boots for the MF, and some IAS tri-res gloves. You could also go with Frostburn if you need the mana. Two SoJ or Bul-Kathos bands for rings. Maras for the amulet. Pretty obvious stuff here. Charms should be trap skiller and any resist all small charms to make up for whatever you need. Keep a call tor arms and spirit on switch (Enigma helps for that Str boost).

The merc should be a holy freeze merc with Infinity (which will help your traps) or Reapers if playing vanilla. Survival is really the only thing that matters here, so anything with high def and damage red % is great. I used Leviathan and upped Vamps Gaze, but you could also play around with other gear as well. He doesn't have to really kill anything, just stay alive.

This character can run most areas fairly well, though will never be the best at anything in particular as the FCR is just not quick enough without abandoning your call to arms. Still, I ran most areas with vanilla gear (so no infinity) and could safely beat anything the game threw at me with almost no threat of death. Great for a hardcore character.

Atratees likes this.
  11. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

While Shadows are really not that important, with pure traps (no CB, no punching monsters), Hell Ancients are impossible for the trappsin.
    Of course I'm not sure what happens when you twink from top to bottom, and it is true 2*3 shadow skills claws can with a lucky roll make you pass Hell Ancients, so you don't actually need hard point for it, but at least get sufficient skill level from the items. Seriously.

12. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it.

If i outfit my toon with treachery will the fade proc override BoS? I assume so. In which case this makes Treachery one to avoid? Or is it worth doing anyway purely for the +2 skills until i can get enigma?

13. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

whaaaaat just lay traps and run around the place. When only one of them is left, cast life tap from a charged wand and let the merc facetank him.

The fade won't proc too often (between the small proc chance and the fact that you, as a ranged damage dealer, won't get hit often), and should this happen, you won't suffer any serious concequences - your hp or defence or resists won't drop. So just recast BoS and go.

But IMO that shouln'd be a concern since (again, IMO), Treachery is not really well suited for a trapper. The aspd bonus shouldn't be concidered (because you'll have plenty of that - shaeled claws, level 7+ BoS at least, maybe even some on gloves), so that leaves you with +2 skills only. I'd say that Skin of the Vipermagi is superior to that (+2 vs +1, resists, and a socket for whatever purposes).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  14. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Hmmm, you might struggle with the ancients if you get a LI and don't have decent gear, but I found them to be pretty easy. This is where having the shadow warrior/master can be useful, as they can draw some fire until you knock the first one off. But yeah, run around until they die. Not that much different from most of the other bosses.

15. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Well i have vipermagi i can use anyway, also got my secon bartucs last night while MF'ing with a BlizzSorc so i'm about ready to start her now. Plenty of what i call midrange gear to pick from and outfit the merc with (gaze, shaft, duri shell, bartucs, vipermagi, you know the drill).

Thanks for the input though, will make sure to pop back in if i run into difficulties

16. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

This. I never bothered with a SM on my trapsin and I don't reacall hell ancients being that difficult