Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TV problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Jun 12, 2005.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

TV problems

I have a Samsung TXN2771HF Dynaflat TV that is acting wacky. The volume goes up, the channels change and I get this annoying "not available" error message on my screen. This happens even when the remote has no batteries in it. There are no "sticky finger prints" on the membrane that would cause this. Consoles are out..DVD's are out...Cable is out.

The TV doesn't have butons but a membrane, a touch screen so to speak.

Okie, I bought the TV in March of 2004. It is now 2 months out of warranty. At the time of purchase, it was not cheap.

I have done some research and I read that you can disengage the membrane from the circuit board.

How difficult would this be? For someone to come out and fix it, there is a 90 dollar "service call" fee then 25 dollars a 1/2 hour. Its a 27" so I have to have home repair.

I know what the problem is and what to do, but how risky is it do disconnect it myself as opposed to paying who knows how much for someone to come out?

Its a pity that a TV that costs that much goes bad that quickly.

2. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i would call a repair man.

3. zodiac66

I am not paying that much for a TV that cost as much as I paid 15 months ago.

I did call Samsung and yelled up a storm. I will be the biggest thorn in their side if this is not something that I cannot do myself. Its just a wire that needs to be snipped. Of course the only way that I will be able to do anything is with the remote, but thats not a problem.

4. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

well if it is just a wire than i don't see why you can't do it on your own
    good luck! :thumbsup:

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

You touch the wrong thing in a TV and you are dead. Be sure to be absolutely sure you know what you are doing before opening one up. The capacitor holds quite a charge.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Ever notice how crap like this never happened on old TVs?

I have a 15 year old TV and it has never never never been broken or done something it shouldnt do.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Basing what I know about what a 15inch computer monitor can do to a person(kill them) I would imagine a TV would be much worse. At least call an electrician.

Johnny is right, I have a TV in my game room that is ~20 years old and still works with a perfect picture. The other TV in the room is just about 3 years old and every once in a while the rear input jacks get screwy.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

For once I agree with you. This is another example of why getting the extended warranty is worth while!!!

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Dont bash it with your hand, use a hammer, much more presice whacking then.
    If you cant fix it and its quite an expensive thing, get someone to reapir it, if its not too costly, get another 1.

10. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Seems there something wrong with my TV as well..I think?

I cant hardly hear what people are saying..then a slightly exiciting action happens...IT GETS REALLY LOUD. Then quites back down...and OF COURSE YOU MUST ALWAYS HAVE the remote ready to CUT IT DOWN. :mad:

11. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Kinda OT-To anyone who would care to hear.DO NOT BUY PLASMAS,JUST DONT.Buy LCD HDTVs but dont buy plasma,the picture looks slightly better than LCDs but life is crap, I mean really crap >.< Though they say it lasts 30-40k hours,it starts to dull out much sooner & there is continous degradation.

On to the topic,I wouldnt monkey around with a TV. Calculator,toaster, pc, playstation 2 is fine but not TV.

Rik

12. Jell-O

Jell-O IncGamers Member

From what I've heard, LCD and Plasma is the same thing, difference is that the smaller screens are called LCD(up to 32" or something?) and the biggers ones are Plasma.
    I don't know why they'd do that but that's what some expert or salesman said on the radio when asked that question.

But like the others said, older TV's are harder to mess up.
    My 14" 10-12 year old one never had any problems, the picturequality might of course be worse than new ones but that's not the point :uhhuh:

13. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

They use totally different technology & both come in a variety of sizes,though there arent a lot of small plasmas.

Rik

14. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

Well which is it? an expensive tv or one that cost 115-140 dollars?

15. zodiac66

I wasn't going to pay that much for the repair on a 15 month old, fairly expensive TV.

I found a friend to unhook the cable from the board. It works just fine now. I do need to buy a backup remote though.

16. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Do you have digital cable? If digital, go into the options and it is usually a choice under audio to choose the range of the sound, from wide (difference between loud noises and normal dialogue is large) and narrow (difference between volumes is small). This should help a bit. It may also be an option in the TV's own menus.