Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tsunami Warning SE Asia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Mar 28, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Tsunami Warning SE Asia

Just heard on the news that an 8.2 earthquake occured underwater near Indonesia.

Seems confirmed here. More info.

Tsunami warnings have been issued. You gotta wonder, with two major quakes happening this close together, is something major happening down there? Or is it merely that the tsunami disaster over Christmas has brought stories like this to our attention here Stateside? Do quakes this big really happen this often?

2. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Dubya's fault.

:D

3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Americans generally only get news that effects them directly which is one of the reasons most of those of us that are not American think of them as being insular.

This area has been unusually active in recent months. This makes at least four or five large quakes since December, including a 9.0 near Macquarie Island on December 24, the 9.3 Andaman Islands quake (the tsunami) on December 26 and another, around 7.5 about 750km north east of Darwin three weeks ago or so. I also have some vague recollections of another one, maybe in January. On top of all of these there were hundreds of aftershocks from the Andaman quake, many of which registered 6+. The Macquarie Island quake was of a different type which is why there was no tsunami, if there were substantial aftershocks none have been reported (penguins tend not to go running to CSIRO to report ruffled feathers) or were not large enough to rate a mention on the national news (Macquarie Island is an Australian Territory). Actually, come to think of it, there were probably just as many large aftershocks from Macquarie Island as Andaman but they were ignored in favour of the news of the tsunami.

4. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

consider it mother natures way of trying to the drop the human population on this planet. that's right, its a good thing.

5. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

according to my uncle(currently rsiding in jakarta) there have been aftershocks almost daily sinve the 26th of december. this last quake however lasted for just over two minutes, which is longer than all of the previous aftershocks.

6. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

yeah my friend was just telling me that on aim, happened at 11 am i believe but they havent detected any waves yet. o_o

7. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Yes, it 's called "plate tectonics".
    An 8.2 earthquake will make tsunamis.Expect them to reach the shores within 1-2 hours from now.
    Good luck for the Asians near the shores.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Yeah, I took 8th grade Earth Science as well. That said, I don't recall hearing about record-breaking earthquakes followed by months of severe earthquakes hitting anywhere else in the world in the last 25 years or so I've been around. Hence my question.

9. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Earthquakes can happen anytime.There's no way to know when a big one like this one can occur and occur again.
    Indonesia has had its bad luck.Sorry for the people who leave there and around.

10. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

What a rather large ceramic crock this is, to be sure.
    We get as much news as any other place in the world. We just don't pay any attention to it unless it affects us. Ok?

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

This one amused me more:

He may be an Earth Scientist, folks, but that whole telling time thing is still a work in progress. :p

12. Eff

Eff Banned

i hate you

13. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

No devastating tsunami this time, thankfully, but it sounds like thousands may be dead from this one too. It was the middle of the night so everyone was inside, where things like shelves and roofs can fall on you.

This sucks. :( It wasn't the same location on the fault, and I don't think people are sure yet whether this was an "aftershock" to the previous biggie or a separate quake maybe loosened up by the December one.

14. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

To be fair, each country obviously report on news with a "personal" touch, ie. related to their citizens. hence Australians know how many Azzies died in the tsunami etc. Americans aren't the only ones to do so. Thats said, even if the news were in the newspapers, not all Americans read the news :rolleyes:

15. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

This reminds me of 10.5. The plot seems very similar. Very strong quakes in rapid succession leading to one final monster quake.

Anyways, from my limited knowledge of geology, they're theory seemed unreasonable.

16. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

It's not simply magnitude that causes a tsunami, there has to specifically be vertical motion on the ocean floor.

17. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

That's not entirely true in practice, Usufruct, because there is no such thing as a purely horizontal earthquake. It is the degree of vertical motion that matters and most undersea quakes do technically cause tsunamis it's just that a tsunami 2 inches high is not recogniseable.

More info...The USGS registered it as 8.2 while Japanese authorities registered 8.5 which is significantly larger. The USGS has since readjusted the magnitude to 8.7.

Some reports have as many as 2000 or as little as 200 dead on Nias and nearby areas.

A tsunami was created but it was only about half a metre high, according to most reports, and no damage was caused. Other reports have a 3 metre high tsunami hitting an island nearby to Nias but this has not been confirmed. The West Australian coast has experienced strong currents and unusual tides today and people have been warned to stay out of the water.

Apparently, the type of quake indicates that it was not an aftershock in the usual sense of the word, but a seperate event related to a change in the plates relationships to each other as a result of the Andaman quake.

@Eff: Good for you...you don't warrant any more response than that.

18. Eff

Eff Banned

:confused: didn't mean to irritate you, i was kidding

19. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Yes, if you want to be completely literal, for whatever purpose, there are no earthquakes with *no* vertical motion. Also if you want to define a tsunami as "a wave caused by an underwater earthquake or volcanic eruption" than any undersea earthquake will create a tiny tsunami. I think the real definition of a tsunami however is a large or destructive wave.

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, of course not. We talk about the displacement of the event in terms of horizontal and vertical distances. Saying "horzontal earthquake" will get you funny looks from the geophysicists, seismologists, and geologists in the room.

That being said, pure strike-slip faults can generate horizontal displacement on a fairly large scale, with little to no vertical displacement; the San Francisco quake of 1906 comes to mind. Of course, when the rupture length is 600 (I think this is about right for the 26 Dec. event) km or so, there has to be some sort of vertical component, what with the earth being sorta curved at the surface. Probably just your everyday scissoring (Mode III) fracture.