Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

trying to remember some book titles, help please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sergeant, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

trying to remember some book titles, help please

Ok, some books I read in highschool were really good but, for the life of me, I can't remember what they are called. Also, know one book title but can't find it anywhere since I read it in highschool.

Book 1:

A native american boy who is raised by people (probably whites) other than his parents. He ends up being a professional rodeo rider. I think it takes place in the early 20th century but I can't be sure on the time period. That's all I can remember from the book.

Book 2:

A science fiction book that describes the forming of a planet and it's first lifeforms and their first interaction with humans. I think the lifeforms are called Cheela or something like that and I remember they lived at 100 times the speed we do, their days were like 100 of ours and so on.

Lastly, the book I have not been able to find ANYWHERE (Amazon.com, e-bay, libraries, bookstores) is called Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

I know there's lots of books on that topic or series but I'm only interested in the very first one. It's the one that details the arrival of the very first human colonists, their first experiences with the deadly alien lifeforms they refer to as silver threads that fall from the sky in a regular planetary cycle.

I've found every other book by her but I can't locate this one. If anyone knows where a copy is or has one, I'd sure be interested in buying it.

Anyhow, if anyone has any useful insight on any of these books I'd appreciate it.

2. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

You can't find Pern? :eek: Oy.

3. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

The book you want is not actually called pern. I can't remember the proper title and can't find it on Amazon. I will look it up in the SciFi library at school for you tomorrow and post it if no one else does so first :).

EDIT: The pern series are nice books and IMHO well worth reading.

4. Sergeant

I would love you....for a while at least, until my wife kicks me to the couch anyhow.

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345340248/102-6515603-2904119?v=glance

6. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

I don't think thats the one he was looking for Yaboosh. While those were the first ones she wrote, he wants the one that is cronologically the first.

7. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

dragonriders of pern maybe...?

my mom read those books

edit: i need to learn how to read, teach me yaboosh :bonk:

8. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

http://www.pern.nl/library/pernbooks.htm

Take your pick sarge, heheh.

# Dragonsdawn (1988) DD.
    The beautiful planet Pern seemed a paradise to its new colonists - until unimaginable terror turned it into hell. Suddenly deadly spores were falling like silver threads from the sky, devouring everything - and everyone - in their path. It began to look as if the colony, cut off from Earth and lacking the resources to combat the menace, was doomed. Then some of the colonists noticed that the small, dragonlike lizards that inhabited their new world were joining the fight against Thread, breathing fire on it and teleporthing to safety. If only, they thought, the dragonets were big enough for a human to ride and intelligent enough to work as a team with a rider... And so they set their most talented geneticist to work to create the creatures Pern so desperately needed - Dragons!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...pd_ka_1/102-6515603-2904119?v=glance&n=507846

LOVE ME!

9. Sergeant

*loves Yaboosh*

10. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Sarge, I googled for strings like "nativa american rodeo orphan" and I found this book: Winterkill. "In this moving novel of fathers and sons, Danny Cachiah is a Native American fighting not to become a casualty. His father, Red Shirt, is dead, his wife Loxie has left him, and his career as a rodeo cowboy is flagging. But when Loxie dies in a car wreck, leaving him with his son, Jack, whom he hardly knows, Danny uses the magnificent stories of Red Shirt to guide him toward true fatherhood." No idea if this is it but I thought I would throw it out there.