Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Try metalgrid!!

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by The_Redemptor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. The_Redemptor

The_Redemptor IncGamers Member

Try metalgrid!!

Well sure a few of you studied the mods of the 'new' unique items, and I think I was not the only one who wondered why the metalgrid amu had that high of a level requirement - its stats seemed to be pretty average (+attack rating, +resists, a few apparently useless charges of useless spells...). When ladder 1.10 started one of my first pala builds was a thornadin (ok this one is very unpopular, but it has always been...). A few days ago I gambled metalgrid from Gheed! And I must say whatever melee pvp class I curse with Iron Maiden is no match! Sure you noticed HOW many chargers seem to have 'found' zod and usually they are proud if they can kill you with their (obviously) duped BotD hammers. I was in a duel game where one of these dupers charged whoever dueled him to death, and he enjoyed writing 'noob', 'lol' ... you know ... into the chat window. Well I managed to cast level 13 iron maiden (this charge that seems to be useless on metalgrid) right before he charged my thornadin (you know thornadins have plenty of life, mine has 3k and it is technically not possible to kill him in one hit even with BotD, so he will always be able to reflect melee damage). Ok, his thorns level is 32, and he also uses the Spirit Of Barbs from his wisp projector to reflect even more damage, but it was somewhat funny to own this unsympathetic duper. In fact, since my thorner wears metalgrid he has lost no match to any melee class, especially whirlers kill themselves with whirlwind + iron maiden + spirit of barbs + thorns lvl 32 immediately. It is pretty impossible for my thorner, though, to stand a chance against casters or bowazons (he invested most stat points into vitality, so his dexterity is too low to block guided arrow for example), and though the conviction+FOH+max Holy Shock combo kills most unexperienced duelers he can't kill sorc, necros or amas with stacked light resists. Is there a more versatile way to deal with ranged or spell casting characters with my thornadin? Suggestions are welcome, because IF there is a really good way to deal with ranged attackers a thornadin with metalgrid could become a pretty popular (close to invincible) pvp pala subclass. Charge? Fana+Widow Maker? Please help with tactics that worked for your palas.

2. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

IM charges is considered BM equipment for duels.

3. Arctic_Fox

Arctic_Fox IncGamers Member

BM is all in the eyes of the beholder, hehh :creep: now thats treading on fine ice. Seriously though, Thorns alone in pvp is absolutely stupid, and DESERVES some viability boost. Congrats on your effective use of your items, regardless on what people may think of them.

4. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Basically to fight ranged and spell casting are 4 options:
    1) Bows and xbows (Ranger)
    2) Throwing weapons (Dragoon)
    3) Fist of the Heavens (Templar)
    4) Charge (Chargadin)
    The most efficient if you have a very high damage weapon is charge. Charge in then quickly charge out if it does not work then charge again. I'm saying most efficient since ur using your skills points for other stuff already. Try getting bramble to give you very high thorns without needing to use that aura. That way you can use the other options. I myself had fun with a necro with max iron maiden, bramble-runeworded armor and the druid thorn thingy. Only berzerker could stop him, so watch out for zerkers. My necro is fun when there is this barb who is full of himself in public games. They usually leave soon after since they can't use their normal attacks.

5. Scrub0

Scrub0 Banned

Sounds fun until a barb runs up and zerks U.

6. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

I do not regard that as BM, when everyone posseses obviously duped BotD and Enigma.

7. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Hmmm, with metalgrid, it'l be easier doing the same thing with a pally plus you can smite the **** out of him. The ultimate anti-bmer for melee that is and charge or foh for ranged.

8. fonis toastes

fonis toastes Banned

Eh, bramble would be good except you lose 20 or so levels off your main means of damage...

The templar addition to the build was a good idea. All I can say is maybe a few in charge to close the distance to the zon, or stand near walls with the zon in screen distance while foh'ing her. That way the kb is less effective.

9. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

I had the impression that most dueling circles consider anything with charges BM. But I suppose it is not as unbalancing as stuff like lifetap and lower resist charges are I suppose.