Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trust

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Dahkar, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

Trust

Do you trust your friends? Well i did untill this incident today. After my sorc died last night i decided to level another one up. So i level her up to 20 and then die again. So i decided im a tad bit tireed of leveling characters up and i'd pay a friend ive known since 1.10 started to level a character up for me. So i give him item/then give him my account info and get off for an hour or so. When i get back on to check on my character I cant log on to my account. I try a couple times but still no prevail. Now its not so much that the items bother me, its that a friend ive played with and known for multiple months would do something like this. Has this ever happend to you?

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Never give your password out!

Dont be lazy, dont be in to big a hurry and this doesnt happen.

3. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Don't trust anyone on Bnet

4. Khianna

Khianna IncGamers Member

If you've registered your account, you can recover the password and change it to something else so your "friend" can't get back in. Let you get back your account and items if your "friend" isn't expecting you to act quickly.

5. NobodyII

NobodyII IncGamers Member

Sorry and Sad to hear that Dahkar.

Hope u get most of your stuff back.

Sent u a PM.

6. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

I dont believe i ever registerd, i wouldnt trust blizzard with my trash let alone my account :) I always thought some hack might come out involving it. Yeah im kind of paranoid about that :) Its all good though, i have a sorc lvl 21 at the moment.

7. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

in response to the original question, i DO trust my friends.

actually, i guess the real question is when an "acquaintance" becomes "friend". for me, this is when u develop a certain level of trust, as can be shown through muling/rushing/mfing games.

and dying a lot. and deciding to quit. and giving out your passwords.

and coming back and realizing nothing has changed.

i guess that is what really makes a bnet friend.

8. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Both funny and sad. Sorry about your friend snaking your account like that. I did find it a tad funny that youw ould trust this person whom you have never met, but would not trust the company that created the game and provided this "feature" for you protection.

A question to the people of the Forums: Has Blizzard intentionally stolen your Items or accounts by means of changing or delting your password when you have NOt been involved in cheating or hacking or allowed someone the use of your CD key to do the same? (I had to qualify that statement, cause there are so many "other" factors)

Masa

9. Corndog

Corndog IncGamers Member

I have several people I interact with, all with varying degrees of trust. It is something that developes over time. There are lots of things you can do to test ones charachter that doesnt involve muling. Watch how they play. Do they show greedy tendencies? Do they play like they are arrogant and self involved? If you are rushing them do they assume certain things of you? Do they generally like to take advantage of other people on Bnet? If they do, then they are capable of taking advantage of you too. Watch the types of conversations they have with others. So many people /f M anymore its easy to see what type of person they are.

Observation is key in evaluating ones final intentions.

10. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Next time, make a new account first!

11. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

There are some people with whom I trust my accounts. I trust a friend from school, I trust a kid who most people would NEVER trust with it, he plays softcore, and really likes having all the "1337" items and such, but hes younger than me, and I have some influence on telling him not to use hacks and such. Hes one of those people who name their characters "PwnageCold" and "Pwnagenecro" etc etc, though hes really a nice guy, and he does not scam people. I get along well with him, which when you look at it from the outside is very suprising, we are somewhat opposite players. I met him 2 years ago on SC, then I moved to HC and he did not, though we still talk a lot, and I go duel with him (with as in 1v1 and as a team) in his sc games, using characters he makes on our "joint" account, a seperate account which is technically both of ours, though i dont use it except to duel with the many SC pvpers he has put on it.
    We have had eachothers passwords for about 2 years now, and never once has he taken ANYTHING or done anything negative with my accounts, except accidently get an 84 hardcore killed once, he didnt know about triggerhacks and was fooling around with my 84 druid in an 09 normal blood run, i think he scared someone, you know, 84 in a normal bloodrun, and they got their triggerzon and killed him/me. It was an innocent mistake, and he offered to give me anything and everything I wanted, of course I told him it was ok, no hard feelings, dont worry about it, and dont go out of town on my hardcore characters ever again ;)
    The point is, yes, i do trust certian people with my passwords, a wide variety of people, provided I know them well enough. My "instincts" have paid off well so far, nobody has ever scammed me out of anything on my accounts and after 2+ years with him, I'm sure its not just a matter of time.

There are a few more people whom I would trust with my accounts, though they dont know it. One of them is you Dahkar/Rasada, I'll tell you my password online, you trust me with your passwords, not only is it only fair I share mine with you too, I feel 100% safe doing so.
    Another is Mali. I never actually gave him my password, though I offered once or twice, when I was going away for vacation and whatnot, if he ever returns, I am telling him my password as well, I know I can trust Mali.
    I would trust most people from the forums who I know somewhat with my account, though of course I dont give my password to everyone I trust, just a few friends, Christor, I would trust you too if you want it for any reason, let me know :)
    What fun is a community based game if you are paranoid? Trusting friends makes the game so much more fun to play, I would rather lose a few items or an account by giving one wrong person my account, if it means I found another three or four trustworthy friends I know I can count on.

-Matt

12. grauengel

grauengel IncGamers Member

TT your a bad judge of character.. :p You should beable to trust your friends imo.. ive done so many trades for accounts, rushs, hc classic to ladder, paid for leveling, etc.. and ive NEVER been scammed or ripped off...

you should probably not trust each common newbie i guess :p bad lost anyhow.

13. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

yeah, i do trust some of my friends.

one in particular ive known for over a year now on bnet and i have in the past given him my password so that he could keep my guys alive while im on vacation etc or to help me burn in muels.

he has been a better friend to me than i have been to him. he has 2 computers at his house that hes got d2 on, him and his son play a lot actually. neway, one time i was gone for about 4 months and i had told him i would be gone only for a 2 week vacation (this was very soon after 1.10 went live) and i had an up on the MF scene and had a few nice items etc. he could have ganked them all and killed my assasin or whatever he wanted lol but he proved his worth when over 4 months he kept my charactors checked on and didnt mess with them at all.

so yeah, there are friends i trust. then there are all the people in the GAT channel, i trust them enough to drop trade and muel with me etc etc...oddly enough ive had items stolen from me while mueling them but that fool was banned ^_^...but i dont know them well enough to give account info to...

as has been said before, it takes time and really watching what they do how they act/talk/deal with other people in general to find out who you trust.

______
    *EDIT*
    BTW, right now, id trust my accounts to 99% of the people i know and dont dislike for the simple reason that the only nice thing i have is my lvl 79 assasin lol everyone i know has many times better items than me so what good would it do them to yoink my lowly stuff :p

14. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

OK, Ive read all thru the trust issue and comments and whatnot. I'm not so sure about a "friend" from way back to 1.10. I mean thats not quite even 4 months now...

But heres the part I dont get. You PAY someone to level your character? Really? Why? Dont you like to play? I like building baby characters, but then again I really like this game. Is it me, or does anyone else feel like this, and if so, why bother? :scratch:

15. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

i actually like leveling up newbies much more than i do mid lvl chars.

when your new you get to level everyware...when your mid lvl is the monotonous baal runs that lul you into death IE my last IK barb and what happened to him lol

though i do hate leveling sorces just because my orb sorces cant kill anything before lvl 30 :)

16. minion

minion IncGamers Member

Hey Dahkar if you're on west msg me, I'm usually on account:

minion_lord

always willing to make a new friend.

:wave:

17. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

funny, i couldn't disagree with you more. Mid lvls are more enjoyable because they are starting to get their real skills, skills that make them more fun to play than running up and smacking things with a normal attack. There's also a new set of weapons to mule in, or shop/gamble for, which is fun as well. The baals usually aren't fun, but that tends to be one night of pain, followed by a couple nights of fun questing through nm, followed by one more night of pain. And it's only pain if you don't have a fun group of people to baal with- i've found some of the most enjoyable pubbies to play in have been baal runs, where people have much more time to talk and make nice.

And those lvls are incredibly hard for sorcs, but they require a good deal of strategy, which can be fun too. Ok, that might be going a little far... i can't really say i enjoy em :D

18. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Meh, never share info with people.

Although I would never steal an account from someone, I can't say that for the people I've never met IRL. And you've known the person for 4 months? Ok, even long time friends can be a little greedy if they see the right opportunity.

19. emuporium

emuporium IncGamers Member

i know several of my friends accounts, not sure if anyone remembers my pass.

we were recently talking about trust during a baal run, and as an example i dropped all my pallys gear, enigma, soj, shako, and said "see?", and nothing happened to it....so im pretty sure my trust wasnt misplaced ;)

my best bet is to never trust someone who befriends you after a rush, hehe....though it has paid off once so far for me ;)

20. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

Well i got my account back, i just randomly typed in qwerty and it opened up: The damnage is 2 of my high levels suicded and somoene of my sorcs mf gear gone.