Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Truly.... Magic Finding is Broken

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Storm, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Storm

Storm IncGamers Member

Truly.... Magic Finding is Broken

This is how Screwed up Magic Finding has gotten in DII. I have a MF Sorc with over 300 MF on her and her Merc has over 100 on him. I MF day in and Day out in NM and HELL. I run Mephy, Pindy, and Baal in NM and in HELL I run just Mephy and Pindy. For 2 months now I've only found 2 Unique Rings, 5 Elite Uniques, several low to mid level Set items and a whole lot of trash. I can't even get a decent charm to drop.

So I decided to make a new Necro and I've been lvling him lately. Well, just a little while ago I was going through Nightmare, Durance of Hate lvl 2, and before I got to Mephy's chambers I encounterd some Elite Dolls. After killing them I noticed a Unique Helm on the ground and loe and behold if it wasn't a Vampire Gaze. When I Id'ed it, it turned out to be perfect. Whats so messed up about all of this..... My Necro has 0 thats ZERO MF on him.

Now how screwed up is that. Now, I'm not jurking noones chain here, I have nothing to gain by doing so. I tried to get a screen shot of it but either I've been away from Diablo so long I couldn't remember how to or my keyboard is messed up and not letting me. If that isn't screwed up then I don't know what is.

2. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Re: Truly.... Magic Finding is Broken

MF adds to the probability of getting a magic/rare/set/unique item. It doesn't say anything about the item turning up "perfect" nor does the game know what items are considered to be valuable (like your vampire gaze there). More MF doesn't make your items "perfect" more often, that is totally random each time an item is dropped.

Running for months with a 0 mf necro will net you less blue, yellow, green and gold items then you would with a 300 mf sorc. The sorc will see 4 times as many blue items, and more of all the other items with diminishing returns. However that 0 mf necro might find a tyraels armor with it's 1 unique drop, where the mf sorc would get 2 unique armors with nearly no value.

There's nothing screwed up with MF, it's just probability. Enhanced probability isn't a guarantee of succes. You have a bigger chance of "succes". But the chance of "failure" remains in place.

3. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

I have like 50 MF myself (20 now, because my ethereal goldwrap is broken)
    and I still find some exeptional set/uniques everyrun!

Last night I was doing a Baalrun, and Achmel the Cursed dropped a Unique Gilded Shield, I was so lucky to get it the first, 184 ED Zaka for me please? :D

MF = Hax...I like my killing speed way better...

+3 Cold tiara
    +3 Cold amulet
    +2 Spirit Sword
    +1 Que-Hegans
    +1 Lidless Wall

4k damage :D MF = Hax... (though I should try to get at least 200 :p )

4. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

Personally I think MF is pure *#(@. Here is why:

When I came back 2 years ago I was messing around in the game with my sorc who had very bad gear, no MF hardly at all. Found an absolute perfect Nightwing's Veil.

The ladder before last I had my Zon in NM Tower to do Chaos. MF=0. One of the minions before Countess dropped a SOJ

A couple of weeks ago (days after reset) I had my Barb in Den Hell doing quest. MF=0. Found my second SOJ.

My very low MF necro just found a very good Spirit Keeper two days ago.

Now when I compare all the items I found when I had a high MF sorc, I realize what a complete and utter BS waste of time. Which is why I do absolutely 110% ZERO MFing. I just go out and mess around. Join Chaos games of high levels, or do Ancients for people, etc.. I just simply play the game, and I enjoy it now more than ever when MFing.

5. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

Like the previous poster said, you may have gotten lucky with your Necro, where the 1 unique it gets turns out to be both perfect and a valuable one, to the game, there is no difference between a Unique Manald heal or SoJ, only the probability of those rings dropping matter, but the game does not know whether say a Peasant Crown or Vampire Gaze, assuming if they are equally likely drop, is more valuable, so the game may, for the MFer, if they keep getting Peasant crown, then they get annoyed. Why? because Peasant crown isnt highly sought after by players, Vampire Gaze will. Hence the player who gets 10 Peasant crowns with 300 MF may get annoyed by players who get 1 Gaze out of 1 Unique. It's how MF supposed to work, increase the CHANCES, but does not guarentee the result. It's like throwing dice. You may want to throw 6 dice and hope 1 comes up, but not get any, while another person can get a 1 on his only roll.

6. Grimey

Grimey Banned

I never bother with MF %. I belive that the drop are just based on personal luck.

My "personal luck": with 0 MF %, in the last ladder. Highlords, Stormshield and AOKL in 1 Pit run.

7. dave

dave IncGamers Member

i dont' believe in mf either...i found 2 griffons within 2 weeks with my faithzon who only has the 30mf from wt :p

8. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

MF isn't something you can or cannot believe in. It is a coded element of item-generation.

9. dave

dave IncGamers Member

well i didn't mean that i don't believe it has any effect....i mean that i believe in killing speed over mf ;)

10. Grimey

Grimey Banned

Same here. More dead monsters = Bigger change for good items.

11. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

That's why you should find a balance between the two.

12. Storm

Storm IncGamers Member

I'm not sure how MF is coded now but I remember years ago in patch 1.09 and 1.10 if I had the same amount of MF or more that I have now, I would find so much stuff that was worth keeping. So much in fact, If I didn't need to trade it, I would be giving much of it away. I truly need to find some sort of balance though. I enjoy MFing, I guess the anticipation of not knowing whats going to drop is exciting to me. Plus, I've been playing this game ever since it's release and there are items that I have never gotten and I guess that also drives me to MF that much more.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It's called statistics and selection bias.