Trouble with the axe.....

Aran Descendant

Diabloii.Net Member
Trouble with the axe.....

Hoy,

I am making a concentrate barb and I have already read Hal's Concentrate barb Guide so far so good. However I am having problems finding a decent one handed axe to use, currently I have Razor's Edge Tomahawk, which is nice for the 50% DS and Open Wounds.....but it just isn't giving me the power I need, as well, durability is only 28. I can't afford a BOTD and I was jsut wondering if anyone had any 1.11 ladder suggestions for an axe that isn't too expensive, this is a new account and I am quite poor, I found an ethereal 2 hander but I need my shield, just wondering if anyone has any favorite axe hunting spots (silly but people have places they like to look for specific things) or if killing hell Meph isn't what I should be doing for the search. Currently he sits at level 81 with mostly everything on him decent, aside from axe, and rings.....any suggestions?

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
Well honestly Razor's is quite nice really..eth would be better of course but that requires a zod if you can get one. Death Cleaver is nice and a non eth one would not not be too high in cost.

Most of the worthwhile runewords are pricey indeed, and being lvl81 basically leaves out the use of some mid lvl one's as well. A Concentrate Barb is not the fastest killing build as you are finding out, but is one of the safest/tank subtype. Even with the highest damage/fastest weapon equiped, you will not b able to compete in killing speed with say a Whirl barb..which is not say to say they are not fun, but if your goal is quick killing, then something else may be better suited to your style of play.

It really depends on what you can afford..DoomZ is nice..so is BeastZ, FamineZ, Famine Warspike..heck even Lacerator is useful with all the mods it carries. A good merc is always nice as well. If you choose to go Offs style, then Might merc with Reapers toll is nice. Def you have a choice of Holyfreeze with Reapers, or Defiance with Reapers...um do notice the common merc weapon lol.

Anyway, I have go on too long..good luck!

P.S forgot to mention that act5 nightmare and pretty much anywhere in hell mode is useful for finding runes/weapons of use :)

sirwhere

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm thinking that a good armor for a concentrator might be guardian angel in hellforge plate version. That should help a bit making yourself invulnerable to elements as well as melee hits.

MedctnStn

Diabloii.Net Member
adding points into axe mastery cannot hurt you either. some crushing blow would do some good IMO. Rattlecage, Gore Rider, Goblin Toe, Strength RW in an axe and Guillaume's Face are good sources of crushing blow. maybe a list of the equipment you have can help us more

Bladewind

Diabloii.Net Member
If a Lo and Mal isn't out of your reach, you can try for a grief berzerker axe. The bad, its OMG expensive to repair.

Other less bank breaking choices.

NL mid range axe weapon

Kingslayer 4 Socket Swords/Axes
Mal + Um + Gul + Fal
+30% Increased Attack Speed
+230-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-25% Target Defense
20% Bonus To Attack Rating
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
50% Chance of Open Wounds
+1 To Vengeance
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Strength
40% Extra Gold From Monsters

This weapon comes with 50% OW and 33% CB which lets it kill bosses fast ! + -25% Target def and +20% to AR. It also comes with Vengence, though Berserk is better. It's good to have but 4 socket Berserker axes are so hard to find, so finding a weapon like this is hard too.

The Ladder alternative.

Oath 4 Socket Swords/Axes/Maces
Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum
30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed
+210-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Energy
+10-15 Magic Absorb (varies)
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

It can be made into eth axes and has HUGE IAS. The damage will shoot up insanely when made into Eth weapons. Also it has some fun charges to use, but if made into a eth weapon you cannot replenish them. If non-eth you can use the Charges with impunity, just that you need to pay the cost. The bad, this weapon has no other special mods like CB or OW, also if you get unlucky and score a 210% roll its really terrible.

Both of this weapons highest rune is a mal, so if you have 1+ hr you can probably get one of them !

Aran Descendant

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, thanks for all the help, that's all very usefuly information for my future builds. There's just something extremely fun about the durability of a good con barb. Since my last post I manage to pump my gear up a lot better then I expected, namely because almost immediately afterwords my hammerdin kicked a basket and what do you know....an OHM...joy. A few trades later on top of a few other things I had up for trade my currnet gear is as follows:

Helm: Arreats Face w/31% ED jewel till I find better
Armor: Archon Plate Fort.
Shield: Stormshield, also found shortly after posting ;)
Belt: IK
Gloves: IK
Boots: Gores
Rings: Raven and Dwarf Star
Ammy: Highlords (of course)
Weapon: Non eth BOTD serker axe, all I could get my hands on.

So far so good, I can solo through hell with no problems. Also as stated in Hals Guide, one point into Berserk allows me to coast through those nasty phys. immues and discouraging IM curses. I would suggest to anyone who enjoys tanking, to give the build a shot. Also, making use of all those war cries makes for interesting party games.....taunt rocks missile enemies off the map. Thanks again, Hals Concentrate Barb Guide can be located in the stickied thread about Barb build and questions, I would recommend it to anyone considering this build.

P.S.
If anyone has suggestions on my current gear I'm listening, I welcome any new ideas.