Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trouble with the Ancients (Hell Difficulty)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by slikz, May 12, 2008.

1. slikz

slikz IncGamers Member

Trouble with the Ancients (Hell Difficulty)

So my character in question here is a level 81 "Fishymancer." I have Raise Skeleton (23), Skeleton Mastery (23), Summon Resist (23) and Revive (4). I have sacrificed everything on my character for MF, and my merc (Barbarian) has the best items I can give him.

Basically the problem for me is I just can't deal enough damage to kill them before I run out of potions for my merc. This isn't helped by the fact that casting a tp resets them. Usually I try to get revives that tank, and they do fine, but they run out of time :cry:.

I have tried 5 times today and hit a wall. I can't really think of anything to give me an edge besides different revives. Can anyone give me some pointers here?

2. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Re: Trouble with the Ancients (Hell Difficulty)

If your problem is just running out of potions, spend some time dropping potions on the arreat summit before starting the fight. You can dump as many as you'd like on the ground to pick up during the fight without resetting them.

-CG

3. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

Ive done that plenty of times. You cant have too many potions laying around. You are on players 1 right? Just double checking.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I agree with CG - littering is cool when it comes to fighting the Ancients (it's kindof lame elsewise though). I think dropped potions disappear after ~15 minutes (like some other items left on the ground), but hopefully it won't take that long.

Another idea - I know you said you've got about the best gear you can get on your merc, but any chance you could get him a Strength runeword (Amn + Tir) for this battle. The Crushing Blow on that is huge for taking a big dent out of each Ancient's life early on... Maybe start with the Strength on him, then when the Ancient he's fighting has low life, switch back to his other weapon.

5. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Also, even untwinked you can get more skills to prebuff your summons. You can shop a +3 to summoning wand from probably anywhere in hell, definitely late hell. You can make a lore helm (Ort+Sol). If you've got any money, blow it on gambling amulets: + to all necro skills or + to summoning will show up before too long. Hopefully you have a necro head with some useful skills by this point, if not then unfortunately there isn't any trick to getting one quickly.

Prebuffing is worth it if you're summoning at levels that low, even though it's obnoxsious to have to switch eq when you want to summon. Most of the stuff I listed is pretty useful to wear in general with a fishymancer, though.

If you want more specific eq suggestions, please post what you're currently using. Also, urdars are a good thing to try reviving, since IIRC they have CB, and at any rate they survive pretty well.

-CG

6. RssDiablo

RssDiablo IncGamers Member

Try to get an amulet or staff or anything with teleport. If you tele-stomp yourself and your minions (including a clay golem for slow effect) directly on top of an ancient, they will be hit many times, and most likely wont target your merc. Also dont forget to cast decrep.
    But mainly, before you do all this, try to seperate them so you can fight them 1v1. It should be easy enough w/ teleport. *think spellsteal or naj's if you have one. otherwise maybe you'll have an ammy
    rss

7. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

If you have spare skill points (or shop a wand), how about life tap on the Ancients. Should hopefully save you heaps of potions, but will of course mean you can't Amp or Decrep them so the killing will be longer, but should be safer.

Butz. :dunce:

8. slikz

slikz IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have any runes that would make a "good" runeword and I don't have a lot of money to blow on gambling. I don't have teleport either, but the Urudar's and littering sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again!

9. LordHoth

LordHoth IncGamers Member

This might be a couple of your problems right there. What revives are you using? To quote Nightfish: "Gorebellies and their look-alikes (the big guys with the clubs) deserve special notice as they have Crushing Blow. If you're entering a tough battle against an act boss or the Ancients consider looking for a couple of these guys. " The CB will add up against them, and I usually get some of these guys before most tough boss fights while questing.

Also I wouldn't know what to do without an Act 2 Might merc. I have mine as sturdy as possible, and even if he dies I usually TP back to town immediately (granted you won't be able to do this) and revive him. The extra damage he brings to the table for your skellies and revives (not to mention himself) is just unreal. Just a suggestion though, never tried the barb with my fishy.

10. slikz

slikz IncGamers Member

I used to have a Act 2 Might Merc but ditched him at this place. Although the extra damage was good, he would often die in 1 hit, making it impossible to heal him, or make use of that extra damage in the first place. I think I made a big mistake in changing though :undecided:.

My revives I used before were usually a variation of the "Enslaved" from Act 5, but I'm gonna try Urudars.

11. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Here's a tip. Grab a Might merc, but don't go straight to the Ancients. Pop over to some easy area (Cold Plains spring to mind), and have him fight until he turns on his aura. Basically, whenever an Act II merc has to pick an action, he has a chance to pick 'attack', and a chance to activate his aura. The chance to attack goes up as he gains levels, meaning there's a corresponding decrease in his chance to activate his aura, with it sometimes taking a high-level merc a fair while before he activates it. Try not to kill anything yourself, and if you can keep the skellies to a minimum, all the better. Once he's activated the aura, round up your army (prebuffing with all the +skills gear you've got, for the strongest skeletons possible) and go fight the Ancients.

I mention this because if you pop straight to the Ancients with your merc, there's a very good chance he will be killed before he activates his aura, which benefits you not at all. However, a big army with a Might aura is a sight to behold.
    Yeah, grab a half dozen or so of these guys- whatever a single hard point and your +skills gear will give you- and go kick the crap out of the Ancients.