Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trouble with Arctic Druid

Discussion in 'Druid' started by jwhite82, Mar 11, 2004.

1. jwhite82

jwhite82 IncGamers Member

Trouble with Arctic Druid

Hi. I am using an Arctic Druid at level 19 and I am having trouble killing Anadriel. My arctic blast does hardly any damage to her, and my defense isn't holding up. Has anyone else used an Arctic Druid and what tactics did you use? I will most more info if people want to know stats, etc.

2. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

Artic Blast isn't the most damaging skill in the game... But not many spells are at that level. My tip is to use a melee weapon and/or get help.

What is your plan for skill distribution? 20 AB, 20 CA, 20 Hurricane...? What do you plan to do against CIs? Tornado...?

3. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

With Synergies and all the skill setup for Arctic Blast will be much the same as the setup for any other specific-spell Wind Druid.

But yeah, at level 19 you'll need to do lots of killing with melee attacks and summons and whatnot. Maybe levelling up some more in the Catacombs will help as well.

Good luck!

4. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

I have dinna have *too* much trouble with Anadriel at lvl 17 - I had a druid helm that gave +3 to Molten Boulder, so while my wolfies kept her occupied (the whole 5 seconds LOL), I would quickly Blast her, then roll a boulder at her, Blast her again (longer if wolfies still living), recast wolfies, hit a mana potion and repeat. By the time I was mana dead, she was pretty well dead so my meager melee along with pets was enough to put her under. :)

5. jwhite82

My current skills are 13 Arctic Blast (2 are from a wolf head, 1 in Cyclone Armor, 5 in Oak Sage, 1 in Heart of Wolverine (prereq for spirit of barbs), 1 in Poison Creeper (prereq for solar creepers). I plan to get Armaggedon for the cold resistant baddies. I am using a guide by Voidblighter. My armor/weapons is okay.

6. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

what the hell guide is that?

armageddon + AB + Barb ='s crappy, even by my obscure standards.

spirit of barbs? geddon and ab? wow. you should do well up to nm :(

bad idea unless you have something impressive, a max ravenlore and like a max Mang song's both with some sort of rainbow facet, enigma, 8 ele gc's, etc...

even then im feeling bad for you.

my MB-AB guy is just that, not a drop in another tree, plus i have best possible gear for it and a Jah'd SS and such... so i may pull it off, MAY

where is this guide?

7. jwhite82

http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/arcticdruid.shtml

well now that i know the guide sucks...does anyone know of a better one...or have suggestions for what i should do? i'd be much obliged...one thing i am going to do to maybe help defeat Anadriel is level up and get some wolf minions so they can fight her

8. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Unfortunately that guide is 1.09, not 1.10... Sorry if it misled you.

I'd definitely get some minions, even just 3 Spirit Wolves or something. And for Cold Immunes I would try to get a Merc who can kill pretty well and minions with some power and grab a decent Bow on weapon switch.

Oh, and go for Oak Sage over SoB, it'll help a lot more.

Good luck!

9. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

well, might merc with oak sage and a huge ethereal weapon is just about the most substantial tank in the game. might cuz it leeches hard core, OS cuz it meat shields.

10. jwhite82

Okay, so minions...I can get a dire wolf on the next level, but to get a spirit wolf I will need 2 levels because I have to get raven first, which is better?

Also, you suggest that I use a bow for the melee correct? and forget about SoB?

11. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I suggest getting a rogue merc and a good bow on her, even though I myself have never done that, one time it helped me in act1 hell with my fire sorc against PI ^^;

anyway
    I never have trouble with andy o_O
    all my characters I've made this patch have been able to easily kill her around level 12
    I even had a pally that killed her at level 9 or 10 solo :\

perhaps try to get a druid helm with +3 moltan boulder, it is rediculasly overpowered in the early levels, with my wind druid which doesnt get a good spell until level 24, I found a +2 moltan boulder helm and even with just that low in skill level I was killing things in 1 or 2 hits in the maggot lair in a 5 player game

plus andarial is majorly weak to fire damage

12. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

this aint no wind forum buddy, its all about

AB MAN

AB !!!

13. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

That was a poor guide in 1.09 and seriously bad advice for 1.10. Armageddon on its own with no synergies will not help you in hell at all. In fact, I think it would just get you killed even faster, as you'd be using it against CIs who would not be slowed down by your AB. SoB suks, always has, always will (seriously, what were Blizz thinking there? Lets give him a Pally skill that hardly anyone uses on the pally, then nerf it into pointlessness and make the pally skill available on a merc anyway...[/:rant:])

I think you may well need those minnions, as a distraction and for physical damage. Max out OS, then put points into the Grizzly Bear. With OS and a might Merc, the Bear should do ok in hell, right? He might need some points in spirit wolves to get his AR up, but I don't know.

PS:
    You seem to have made a wrong assumption here. In order to get Dire Wolves you need to get Ravens and Spirit Wolves anyway. Those pre-req arrows are an AND thing, not an OR thing. You need OS and Spirit Wolves in oreder to get Dire Wolves, not OS or Spirit Wolves :thumbsup:

14. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

yeah this guy needs some major schooling on matters of d2.

just read ALL of the stickied builds here first. yes even those you arent ever building.

then go read the Assassin forums faq sticky, then something by Ragnorod in pally forum, like a faq of some type.

then go play the game, much less time wasted not being able to kill or have as much fun.

If you want to know all sorts of odd things, go search for Kirsty and read a bunch of her things, like older stuff.

I duno how this guy fished out that build, but he/she obviously desires to learn, so thats great.

15. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Sticky Me!

AB is currently bugged :( There is a program issue with the skills.txt synergie value. It does only 28% of listed dmg. This is why most people say it sucks.

Also, Inferno and wake of inferno also suffer from these issues.

16. jwhite82

So apparently I was using bad advice. What is the general consensus here? I really want to try a druid as I have played the other types before. Should I start over and try another type like fire or wind? I have tried a werewolf druid, but didn't really enjoy that.

17. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

wind would be happy, fire + melee could be good if you get earth shifter thing and expensive eq.

volcano and a might merc would be nice as well. spirit though would be complicated, if you want to kill fire immunes i suggest heart of wolverine and an eaglehorn, the volcano does hurt FImmunes with phys damage, so pulling out a bow might be a nice idea.

although it would be fun, im not a proponent of using a bear with elemental, really hard to get a good elemental, a good spirit, and a good bear, all at once.

i understand it can be done though, just tight build and gear intensive

18. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

NO shat??

so when i add synergy it doesnt show total damage right?

or what? you are the first person that mentioned this bug!!

note that!!

19. Glacial Trail

Glacial Trail IncGamers Member

It's a pity, I'd always appreciated the graphics of AB and would've loved to try out a 1.10 build based around it with full synergies.

On a side note, imagine what Hurricane would've looked like with AB graphics spinning around the Druid in a circle. They definitely should've done that.

20. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

whats a pity?

the skill works fine! it would work fine, go build it.
    doom weapon would make it crush but rather pricey option.
    unique elite helm thing could help with this build but thats pricey as well (same as doom im guessing)