Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trouble Surviving MF Runs [In Hell]

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Popcornz, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Popcornz

Popcornz Diabloii.Net Member

Trouble Surviving MF Runs [In Hell]

Im having the hardest time surviving these, if I teleport around to find the way to Andy in hell and get hit once, basicly I cant teleport, and am almost killed in one hit.

Note, Im A Sorc.

Here is my current stats [base/boosted from gear,ect]:
    Level 71
    Str: 105/117
    Dex: 25/52
    Vit: 225/250
    Energy: 50/75
    Life: 745 [With Gear]
    Mana: 481 [With Gear]
    Defence: 1660 [With Shiver Armour]

I used to use my Holy Freeze Merc to help monsters not attack so fast on me, but I just found my self reviving him so much.

Is there a way that could help me survive doing Hell MF runs?

2. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

Hey, how does your gear look? Maybe you'd like to make a few changes, such as equipping items with more resists (a wizardspike, or an Occulus for main weapon), 2-Diamond Mosers Unique Shield, etc.

A pair of Frostburn gloves will also boost your mana levels if you need.

Basically, you'd want high resists, and a decently fast teleport speed (Fast cast rate).

Try out this relatively cheap gear setup:

-Helm: Aim for a Harlequin's Crest eventually. But if you can't, use something like Tal's Mask, Peasant crown etc for now.
    -Amulet: MF/ resists/ skills
    -Armor: I find Skin of the Vipermagi with a resist jewel, or a Ptopaz to be fairly useful
    -Main Weapon: Wizardspike is best for more resists, or Occy for higher damage/ half the resists.
    -Main Shield: Something with resistances
    -Belt: Tal's Belt, Credendum Set Mithril Coil, etc
    -Boots: War travs eventually. For now, use Waterwalks or something cheap. Waterwalks will help you get enough dex for Wizard Spike too.
    -Gloves: Frostburn, or Chance Guards
    -Rings: Nagel rings

When I first started my character this season, I was sort of in your shoes too. I had a set of main gear that I would use to get down to meph, and right before I killed him, I would TP to town to switch to all my MF% gear. This guarantees survival, along with max MF% chance. It might take you about 20 seconds more to switch gear, but IMO it's better than dying and getting all frustrated.

3. Popcornz

My gear is....
    -Helm: Peasent Crown
    -Amulet: Tal's Ammy
    -Armour: Vipermagi (w/ P-Topaz)
    -Main Weapon: 30% FCR Spirit Broad Sword
    -Main Shield: Lidless Wall (w/ P-Diamond)
    -Secondary Weapon: Insight [for mana when teleporting, and for a switch off for the final blow (MF)]
    -Belt: Tal's Belt
    -Boots: Some Magical Boots with 21% MF
    -Gloves: Chance Guards
    -Rings: Nagel/Magical with 10% FCR, 6 Stength, and 4 All Res

Resists...
    -20 Fire
    -17 Cold
    1 Light
    -32 Poison

It might be my resistances, but I get killed really fast mainly against Melee attacks.

4. tycIbn

tycIbn Diabloii.Net Member

first off, give your merc the insight. your fcr is hurt by the insight and you could use the extra weapons slot.

try to get tals helm. the set bonuses are a lot better with 3 pieces and you aren't losing much compared to peasants crown.

if you can get an occulus then use that. if not keep the spirit sword. try to get a wizardsspike and another lidless for your weapons on switch.

that should help a lot.

by the way, what does your merc wear?

5. IsThisNamePermanent

IsThisNamePermanent Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't used a sorc to mf since classic D2, on LOD I use my teleporting hammerdin. The weapon that gives you Bo and the other barb skill helps alot, sorry I'm being vauege about the weapon but I haven't played d2 in a long time.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Teleporting through the catacombs is actually more dangerous than through the Durance IMO.

I haven't checked your total FCR, but it should be 105% (or more, but the next breakpoint is at 200%). However, it should be possible to survive it with just 63%. I did that a lot in the last season.

I suggest to have some faster hit recovery, so you can resume teleporting quickly after you got hit.

See the Strategy Compendium for the breakpoints. The link is in my sig.

Tal's items only make sense for MF if you wear 3 of them and for sorcs they should be nothing but armor, amulet and belt - or the complete set, of course, which will solve a lot of sorc problems as well. If you don't have the armor yet, wear an Oculus and Goldwrap instead.

Cast frozen armor before teleporting instead of energy shield, it will freeze non-immune enemies for a fraction of a second when you get hit - ebough to teleport away. In addition, energy shield might leave you with no mana at all when you get hit (e.g. if your mana bulb is rather low from teleporting) which is obviously very, very bad for sorcs.

Don't bring your merc to Andy, he will spoil a careful approach to her and dies easily anyway.

7. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Your resistance is only part of your problem... You will need a shield with a good block rate on it to help absorb some physical damage... An act 2 NM holy freeze merc with some good def. will take some hits for you too... The holy freeze aura slows down most monsters a good bit, so teleing and killing become much easier...

*Requiem_Death

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Can I suggest:
    • Resists
    • FCR
    • Levels
    Wizardspike does two very important things; 50%fcr and a shed load of resists. You need those resists; you're asking for trouble with the ones you have. I always used to die teleporting and the only one I feel safe with is a 200fcr sorc; 105fcr I can live with but I prefer the higher. I use a HF moron.

If you die teleporting then don't do it; you'll lose xp/gold and it's discouraging. Try clearing the Pits instead.

Edit: And yes if you are able to get to other acts there are other options.

Personally, I would like a couple more levels before Hell.

Your moron will die. It's what they do. The faster you tele the less likely he'll get hit or wander off. Give him the Insight yes, but shove a Tals Mask on him. Give him something to Leech. It's nerfed in Hell but every little will help. And what is that Insight made in? If it's a Scythe upgrade it.

Edit: @krischen - see you do know what I mean :grin: :thumbsup:

I have one sorcy with max block and four with max life. My playstyle makes the latter feel safer; but that is personal choice.

9. krischan

IMO the archers in the pits can be rather deadly for sorcs. Better visit the Ancient Tunnels below the Forgotten City in act 2, that's safer.

You can't upgrade runewords with the cube recipe, of course, but I guess Thyiad meant to get a better polearm for that runeword.

What I forgot: Press the alt button while teleporting, else you won't teleport when you accidentally click on a chest or something like that. The alt button will also reveal all treasure on the ground BTW.

10. Popcornz

My merc uses the Insight (which is made from a Scythe, but am trying to find something with more damage to make an Insight into), Skinned Of The Flayed One (6% LL/+21 Life Reg), and Steelskull (5% LL). He is also a Holy Freeze Merc.

I do plan on using Tal's Armour when I can afford it, or someone sells to me for a really cheap price (ex. for pgems), and eventually Occy/Shako.

I do use Shiver Armour before teleporting, and I dont have/use Energy Shield.

Currently, My char has these skills.
    - 20 Orb
    - 20 CM
    - 20 Ice Bolt
    And of course, pre-reqs, Shiver Armour (1), Teleport (1), and Static Field (1). If I could get an idea of what to use the rest of my skill points into, that would be good also.

Oh, I never knew that about using Alt while teleporting, i'll have to try that one out.

11. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, I never knew that about using Alt while teleporting, i'll have to try that one out.

Most people actually hold down ALT 90% of the time regardless of what character they are, what game they're in, unless they're chatting, etc.

12. patonis

patonis Diabloii.Net Member

Get yourself a harle/level 80 and everything gets alot easier.

You kidding ? Durance of hate level2 has more dangerous mobs and they are packed alot tighter.

13. Popcornz

Well, I normally hold ALT when im fighting monsters.

Normally, how much are Shakos, or Tal's Armour with something that I could collect, like pgems?

Still, I don't know what I should stick my extra skill points into.

14. krischan

You have to teleport through 2 levels of the Catacombs and there's no "turn left" rule or something like that for level 3. The lightning ball monsters from the Catacombs seem to hit my sorc more often than the monsters in Durance 2 and they are quicker than the blood lords. Perhaps it's a matter of play style.