Trouble reinstalling diablo

RssDiablo

Diabloii.Net Member
Trouble reinstalling diablo

Hi everyone,

So the bad news, i tried to install patch 1.11b so i could dabble in a little bnet, but it wouldn't work. So i tried to reinstall diablo like it says.

For the non expansion I tried installing the full version, but it wouldn't let me, some problem with chars.mpq something or other. But then i tried the single player install and it worked just fine. Now I'm installing the expansion and it just gets stuck at C:\DiabloII\d2char.mpq again and ask me to insert the d2 play disk although it was already in.

So my question, is the problem my play disk? Or did I screw something up while uninstalling it. (I used add/remove programs and then deleted the d2 folder all its contents in my computer). Or is there maybe something else at fault.

Now I can't play any diablo. Any advice or tips would be super helpful.
I wasn't really sure this is the right forum for it but its not really a bug or a suggestion, and plus you all always seem to know the answer.

Thanks!
rss

Jason Maher

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Trouble reinstalling diablo

I had the same thing happen, albeit the stall was on a different file. It is almost certainly the disk. Something is preventing the installer reading part of the area where that file is stored. Clean the disk surface and try again. If that doesn't work, then you're probably in the same boat as myself - new disk time. At least I can play classic (my stuffed disk is the expansion CD).

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

You can also try to install it from different CD-ROM drive (Borrow one from a friend). Sometimes when there is a bad sector on your CD, one CD-ROM can read it fine another can't read it at all.
But yes, it's almost certainly your disk. Why would you want to "install" the 1.11b patch if you only wanted to play BNet? Just click on BNet and it will download and install the last patch automatically (last patch is 1.12a btw)

HolyPade

Diabloii.Net Member

I had problems with installing as well. For me the drive speed reduction did the trick. For some reason the installation got stuck halfway and the only way to fix it was to use a SW for CD-ROM speed reduction. After that everything went just fine. Odd. :nod: