Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trouble finding a job!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hashmalum, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Hashmalum

Hashmalum IncGamers Member

Trouble finding a job!

This sucks. I havnt been able to find any work for months. Had to leave college because of it. About to get thrown out by my dad, Ill be literally homeless. Im 18, I have filled out job applications to every store I know of in my area, noone wants to hire me for some reason. I have no idea why. This sucks. Who has jobs in here? How u get them??

2. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Try looking for jobs at other places in addition to stores, make sure you show up neat and presentable, and when you hand in your application ask to speak to someone in human resources or a manager.

3. Hashmalum

Hashmalum IncGamers Member

I always look neat and presentable. I have a nice outfit I wear to job applications. Ive tried fast food places, supermarkets, gas stations. I cant find anything Its pissing me off so much cause my dad thinks I aint even trying to get a job when I am. I dunno what to do

4. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, sorta. I'm not on the verge of getting thrown out but I'm having one hell of a time trying to find a job.

5. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Said it before, I'll say it again... try temping. It can lead to a job way better than something in retail esp. if you have a shred of MS Office knowledge.

6. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

From your perspective my complaint might seem stupid, but to me it's a valid one. I'm currently in a job I've grown to hate, and I want out. Bad. I can't leave until I find a new job because I need the money just as bad. I've been looking for a new job for a bit over a month now. And I can't find one. So I'm kind of stuck... And it's seriously pissing me off. But, the way I figure it, no matter how much I want to stab my employers in the throat, it still gives me the money I need to live. So I thank them for that. And shoot daggers at their backs when they turn around...

Good luck with your quests, guys!

7. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

Thankfully my parents say I can stay with them until I can go out on my own two feet. Going into pharmacy so when I'm out the dough will start rolling in and I'll pay them back. Maybe I'll buy them a house in florida! :)

Tip wise: When speaking, speak normally (sp?) Not fast nor slow. And don't slur your words! Sometimes when I get nervous I accidently jumble consonants and slur them. Like someone said above try temping. Also don't ask for too high a wage err other than that ... GOOD LUCK!

8. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

You're still just thinking retail, try looking at some other industries.

9. London

London IncGamers Member

Be persistant. I didn't get my job by turning in one application, and having them call me.

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I joined the army. They don't turn you down unless you're too abnormal, but I got in anyway. :cheesy: From there I got a part time job as security as well just to supplement the income and get some hoochy money.

I'm always trying to stay abreast of the job market anyways, though. Never know when something good will come along.

11. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

A few have said it already, Ill say again. The key is persistence, turning in an application is only the beginning. Call them every other day if not everyday, this will keep your name on their minds when hiring time does come around. It also shows that you will work hard and be persistent. This is how I got my job, I would check in 3 or 4 times a week to make sure all the proper people were getting my information and that they knew who I was.

12. KillerQueen

KillerQueen IncGamers Member

We lived here for months before my husband found a job. He ended up going to an employment agency, and they found him a job. We had to pay the agency a lot of money... but now he makes decent money, and has benefits and everything.

Maybe you could go to job corp.

13. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Same boat. I don't have the time to be as persistent looking for other jobs as I could be. Working part time, and going to school full time takes up A LOT of time.

14. Freemason

Freemason Banned

When I was 18 I got a job at Manpower Temporary. I worked for about 9 months as a light industrial temp. Essentially a strong back for hire. But there are lots of other jobs out there.

Spring is here and the landscapers are going to need new help. Same goes for construction. Provided your back is strong enough and you're not a disgusting fat body, you can get a job as a framer, drywall hanger or just plain construction cleanup. Be some builder's flunkie for a while. Get him coffee and occasionally be sent to the lumberyard for a long weight or a sky hook. :lol:

Now you have to lok at your appearance. Short hair, no facial hair, took a bath lately, boots shined (yes it is important for your shoes to be clean), etc. I've thrown away resumes because the guy - while qualified - looked like a dirtbag. Cover up any tatoos you may have. If you can't then you have other things to think about.

But the most important thing is when you apply for the job, be dressed and ready to go to work immediately. Show up at starting time for manual labor jobs. Bring a lunch box and be ready to take the place of anybody who's late. You just never know.

Or as Ahgusnurg674 said, join the military. Don't want to fight? Join the Coast Guard. Give them 4-6 years and use the time well.

15. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I'm also in the same boat as you. Need a job, no one is hiring. Bleh. Persistance I guess

16. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

I quit my nasty job working in a kitchen in December. After that I tried a few places to get a job but they didn't work out. I finally got hired at UPS so I get to start that tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't a job at those other places now, because UPS is going to work out better for me in a lot of ways.

17. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Always follow up on your applications with a phone call a few days to a week later. It shows incentive, responsability, and that you might actually want the job more then the next guy.

18. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I agree with Anakha and Smeg. I've thought about doing that myself when times are tough, but I think I'm too old now to be of much use (and far too puny!). I'm hoping the seasonal data entry job I have with the government will be easy to quickly transfer to something else in Boston when it ends this summer.