Tribute photos

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Absolutely beautiful pictures. I downloaded all of them, actually.

It's amazing to me how alive the memory of 9-11 still is.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
Evil Conservative Inc said:
Those are beautiful.

Hopefully next year's tribute will include at least 30 floors of the Freedom Tower
It's not really gonna be named Freedom Tower, is it?

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
myleftfoot said:
It's not really gonna be named Freedom Tower, is it?
I hope not.

The word "Freedom" has become such a catch phrase for politicians since 9/11, it's practically lost all meaning. The title "Freedom Tower" just makes me shudder.

That's what they intend to call it.

I still think it's a boondoggle and a giant architectural fustercluck to build it. They should have designed two towers taller than before with a uniquely American flair to them. Something along the lines of alternating red, white and blue reflective surfaces on the glass for the top 1/3 of the building. Even better if they put golden domes on the top of each one and flew the huge 50' x 70' American flags from each one.

But what the hell do I know? I'm an architect for the everyman, not some highbrow hoity toity skyscraper snob.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
If it were to be distinctly American, it should just be really fat, cost too much to build and have a 2:1 ration of TVs to occupants. Freaking awesome.

Nice pictures too. The symbolism of the light ascending into the heavens seems fairly appropriate.

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
Yaboosh said:
If it were to be distinctly American, it should just be really fat, cost too much to build and have a 2:1 ration of TVs to occupants. Freaking awesome.
You forgot 'be a mammoth eyesore' and 'block one's view of nature'.

Very nice pictures. I like #2 (or whichever the alleyway one is) best.

I like them all, but the last one looks like a scene from "Independence Day", right when the ship destroys The Whitehouse.

-edit-

It amazes me that we can put that much light into the nighttime sky that the clouds look brighter than they do during the day.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice pictures. How powerful must those lights be? Wow.

Evil Conservative Inc said:
Those are beautiful.

Hopefully next year's tribute will include at least 30 floors of the Freedom Tower
They aren't seriously going to call it that, are they? OMG lame.

SaroDarksbane said:
I hope not.

The word "Freedom" has become such a catch phrase for politicians since 9/11, it's practically lost all meaning. The title "Freedom Tower" just makes me shudder.
Exactly. And like Pat said it brings back bad memories of "Freedom Fries".

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Nice pictures. How powerful must those lights be? Wow.
They're nothing new. The Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas uses the same concept. I agree that it's impressive though.

wikipedia.com said:
The beam is currently powered by 39 Xenon lamps operating at 7 kilowatts each at an hourly operating cost of $53 (lamps, repairs, and electricity costs). The beam's output is rated at 41.5 gigacandela. Ironically, because the desert air is so clean and dry there is little to deflect the light, the beam's true brightness is lost to all observers except for unfortunate airline pilots flying overhead.
For lack of a better reference. I know you have an aversion to wiki.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
MadMachine said:
They're nothing new. The Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas uses the same concept. I agree that it's impressive though.

For lack of a better reference.
LOL, irony. But that's pretty damn impressive.

MadMachine said:
I know you have an aversion to wiki.
You have me confused with someone else. About 98% of the time wikipedia is no worse than Britannica...

Bortaz

Banned
I think I read somewhere that the light from the Luxor can be seen from space. It might have been in the brochure we got when wife and I spent the week there last year.