Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tri-elementalist Sorcy

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by pharaoh, May 31, 2005.

1. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Tri-elementalist Sorcy

As some of you know, I recently mentioned I might try building a tri-elementalist sorcy. Anyways, I've just started a new sorc (she's still a baby), and I've been playing with the numbers to try to decide what skills to focus on. For the fire and cold spells, I'm pretty much decided, but I'm not sure about the lightning ones. Basically, my prospective layout looks something like this:

Cold (25 pts):
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Ice Blast
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Glacial Spike
    20 Blizzard
    1 Cold Mastery
    Blizzard damage with +10 to all sorcy skills: 1288-1355 (1321 average)

Fire (27 pts):
    1 Fire Bolt
    1 Fire Ball
    1 Warmth
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    1 Fire Wall
    20 Meteor
    1 Fire Mastery
    Meteor damage with +10 to all sorcy skills: 3693-3865 (3779 average)

Lightning will be either this (26 pts):
    1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static Field
    1 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Lightning Mastery
    Chain Lightning damage with +10 to all sorcy skills: 2-1256 (629 average)

or this (28 pts):
    1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static Field
    1 Lightning
    1 Chain Lightning
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Nova
    20 Thunderstorm
    1 Lightning Mastery
    T-Storm damage with +10 to all sorcy skills: 823-1090 (956 average)

This just outlines the basic build, which will require 78 points (for the Chain Lightning version) or 80 points (for the T-Storm version). Additional points after this stage will go into masteries, synergies, and Warmth, as needed. I may also put a single point into Energy Shield for versatility, depending on how she holds up under normal conditions; it's better to have my mana drained than to die.

While I realize the damage figures are a little on the low side, one of the main reasons I'm attempting this build is to make use of the Mang Song's Lesson I found. With that, Ormus' Robes, and possibly some Rainbow Facets, her damage output should be measurably improved, and while still not being on par with a single/dual-tree build, she makes up for it with versatility.

The thing is, I'm having trouble deciding on which lightning path to take. The CL path offers a spell that I can spam against groups, but the trade-off is that, at high levels, it's quite a mana hog, and more mana means less life. It would also be the only attack spell to be dependent on fast cast (though I'd likely want some for Teleport and stun-locking with Telekinesis). Also, while CL is slightly more economical in terms of skills, the mana issues mean I'd likely have to put more into Warmth, so this benefit probably would be lost.

Thunderstorm, on the other hand, functions as a passive spell. When maxed with +10 sorcy skills, it'll last over four minutes per cast. Though it will only strike one target at a time, I can rely on it to tackle dual-immune bosses (perhaps while doing the TK knockback/stun trick, which would be impossible whilst spamming CL). Monsters not immune to cold or fire could be handled with Blizzard and/or Meteor.

Anyways, anyone have any opinions on which is the better option? I'm leaning towards T-Storm at the moment, but I have plenty of time to decide. I'll be busy putting points into pre-requisite skills for a few levels.

2. Vildecor

Vildecor IncGamers Member

I think your inclination is a good one. Go for the Weathergirl! I've been meaning to make one myself; one on a long list of builds I plan on playing.

3. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Okay, T-Storm it is then. She's level 13, just got Cain, and I've been holding a point back- I guess it's going into Nova; we'll see how the baddies like it.

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Why not use lighting instead, half the mana cost with 2x the damage. For tight groups, it's not any worse than CL, and better against single target with it's lower mana cost and higher damage.

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I think Lightning is only really better when it has synergies though.

I personally would prefer Chain Lightning. It really is good to have a spamming skill between timered spells. True, mana becomes a serious problem, but it can be solved by wearing stuff that adds to regen (Magefist) and +%mana (SoJ, Silkweave, Arachnid Mesh). More mana => more mana regenerated per second. Besides, it's much better to kill the crowd quickly and then chug a blue potion, rather than waiting helplessly for the spell timer to go away while your merc gets overwhelmed and thunderstorm refuses to actually kill anything. If you choose Thunderstorm, I think you will really come to hate any area with heavy cold immues.

6. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

I'm working on one for the last few months. I actually modeled this after a build that Melianor suggested a while back in the Sorceresss forum. Here's the breakdown:

Fire Tree
    7 Fireball
    20 Meteor
    1 Fire Mastery

Cold Tree
    20 Frozen Orb
    1 - 7 Cold Mastery

Lightning Tree
    20 Charged Bolt
    15 Lightning
    5 Lightning Mastery

This is a link to a skill calculator that I found in the Sorceress forum which I found useful. http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc.html

Hope this helps! :)

7. Day

Day IncGamers Member

I had an enchantress with max lightning mastery and thunderstorm - probably cast it with around plus 6 skills - it fitted what I wanted for the character - something running in the background whilst I melee'd and occaionally it would zap something which ment I didn't have to go in and beat it to death. This didn't happen very ofton in hell - in fact it was rare enough to surprise me each time it did.

I thought it had style but it's not a big damage dealer - I played players 1 in Hell and certainly in the later acts 3-5 it was of pretty marginal benefit. I'm not sure why the damage per strike looks reasonable - I'd guess its because the strikes are shared out in amongst a group (and a single strike doesn't do great damage) and bosses have huge hit points.

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I think the problem is it attacks too slow (1 hit/sec? can anyone confirm). and you can't target a specified target. take into account of hell monsters rej life, it is no wander why it does kill very well.

I'm currenty having a tri-element sorc, still in normal (melee/fire wall everything at the moment).

My plan (and I'm going to stick with it):

20 firewall, 1 FM, 1 warmth - reason: firewall does good damage and require no syn skills, and no need heavy pre-req either.

20 FO, 1 CM, 1 shiver armor - I think everyone knows why, it is only best cold skill for least amount of skill points, and shiver armor has style and is handy for the freeze effect.

1 SF, 1 TP, the rest go Lightning (better damage, less mana cost), LM and syn skills.

9. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I still haven't put that point into Nova yet, but I've made it to level 18 and dropped one into Chain Lightning, so it's a bit late to pick plain Lightning as my main.

Those of you who say T-Storm isn't a good killer in Hell make a valid point, but remember, I'm not relying on it to kill groups. If it kills the odd weak fast-moving critter (like an Imp), that's great, but the only time I'd rely on it to kill would be for creatures immune to both cold and fire, and, to my knowledge, almost every dual-immune creature in the game is a unique monster. The only exceptions cover immunity combinations that won't bother me (like lightning + poison for certain Gloam versions). Since unique monsters are, by definition, single targets, I can rely on T-Storm dealing out 900+ dmg/sec while I keep it stun-locked with TK so that my merc can beat on it in safety.

Of course, the CL version has its merits too. Right now, I've got a level 5 CL (I'm twinked, so Tarnhelm + Eye of Etlich + Spire of Lazarus + hard point = 5), and it's cleaning up. The main problem I have with CL is the low minimum damage, but I know from previous experience with my lightning sorc and spearazon that, if you can keep the lightning arcing around, the minimum damage isn't a big deal, since targets get hit several times.

I suppose I could always go for T-Storm (I still like the 'style points', even if it lacks uber-effectiveness), and then put 10 or so points into CL for use as a spammable spell. Then again, if I'm wanting something to use between timered spells, that implies I'll be hurting the baddies with cold or fire, which implies I could spam something like Glacial Spike or Fireball instead. Hmm.

Decisions, decisions.:scratch:

10. Hiedran

Hiedran IncGamers Member

Don't forget that CL has a nextdelay. I don't remember if that means that the delay must pass before the next target can be hurt or if it means that the nextdelay must pass before the original hurtee can get hurt again.

Either way, it means that CL isn't as effective in really tight groups since hops get wasted because of nextdelay.

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

A target hit with a next delay has immunity until the next delay time is over, this is related to the bug with inferno.

This is all damage done not just lightning, fire, etc. FCR can hurt you with next delay; you could be hitting every other one on 4 frame attack or everyone on a 5 frame attack :eek:

In laymens terms:

you hurt the monster once

you must wait (the next delay duration) to hurt him again

12. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'm aware of the whole 'nextdelay' bug. While it affects CL somewhat, it's much more noticable with other things, like Strafe (get a fast enough bow, and half the shots pass through targets harmlessly). Why Bliz deliberately put this 'feature' in the game when the results should have been self-evident to any thinking person is beyond me, and why it persists in the final patch after they allegedly beta-tested the patch for roughly a year boggles the mind even more. It's reminiscent of those old '80s platform scroller games where you hit a bad guy, and he flashes for a few seconds, during which time he's invulnerable. It was a stupid idea then, and it's a stupid idea now.

However, I'm thinking I'll be abandoning this character and making a new one. After getting Blizzard, and actually using it, I've come to realize just how useless it is. Approximately 50% of the time, it doesn't even hit a target in the area of effect, and there have been times when several successive casts of it miss a target completely. Clearly, I won't be able to rely on this to kill anything in Hell, as my damage will be low enough without synergies, and having it completely fail to work whenever the game feels like screwing me makes it even more useless. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though; for a company that lets bugs stay for so long (look at how long it took them to fix the Weapon Mastery and piercing Guided Arrow bugs), it would be out of character to have a skill share the company name unless it, too, was buggy. I guess I'll need to go with Frozen Orb, even if it does look a little bit cheesy; at least it works well.

I've also decided that style points be damned; I'm tossing T-Storm. Perhaps it worked better in v1.09 or something (I have fond memories of it actually killing things), but in Act2 Normal, it was barely doing anything. CL performed far better, so I guess I'll go with that.

Meteor seems to be doing okay. It's a little cumbersome to aim, and somewhat lacking on damage at this point, but the casting delay isn't as bad as Blizzard, and unlike Blizzard, it actually hits things within the area of effect. My other choice was Hydra, which, while having lower damage, might do better against moving targets. With maxed Hydra, one in FM, and all pre-requisites, and +10 sorcy skills, it should do 497-569 per shot, and each head seems to shoot roughly once per second.

13. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Blizzard with heavy CM investment is quite capable of killing in Hell, and is excellent against large targets. Sucks against small, fast targets, but oh well.

14. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

What about charged bolt? Im sure it would work ok as a 20 point charged bolt/mastery.
    With both synergy skills maxxed its damage is pure insanity. I don't bother using static field at short range as charged bolt kills much quicker at short range.

it could work well with a tri elementalist, charged bolt for short range spamming, meteor for long range merc bombardment and blizzard to slow/chill everything down.

15. #endgame

#endgame IncGamers Member

So is THAT why inferno and arctic blast are so weak? (nextdelay bug)

16. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Yepper basically their power is cut in two because they are 2 streams and the next delay allows one of the streams to pass right through, let alone that the stream is really small.