Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tri-Elemental Sorc SP

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by pantherus, Jun 24, 2008.

1. pantherus

pantherus IncGamers Member

Tri-Elemental Sorc SP

Hi all,

I've never really played a Sorc before (tended to focus on Zon & Sin) but interested in giving one a go - main thing I was looking at though, is making her a tri-elemental - i.e. having 1 primary skill in each of the three trees. Probably looking at Meteor for Fire, Orb or Blizzard for Cold, and Thunderstorm or Chain Lightning for Lightning.

1. Is this viable? The point was for it to work in Hell where I've heard (haven't been there in aaaaages) you can get a lot of dual-immunes popping up.

2. Any specific recommendations (and reasons behind it, telling me xxx skill just plain sucks doesn't help me) on which skill(s) to use in each tree?

3. Obviously I'll have a few points popped into Teleport & energy Shield, and will probably max Warmth too... Any other skills to pay further attention to bar pre-reqs?

4. This is Single-Player, so suggestions on gear would be great - though I'm planning on focussing her around using the whole Tal-Rasha's set (I've got a thing about making characters based on "their" set)

5. Any other suggestions to go with?

Much appreciated

P.S. - If there's already an in-depth guide to this (i'm sure there is somewhere, just not sure where?) then pointing me to it would be great :)

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Tri-Elemental Sorc SP

1. Dual-immunes aren't that common (depending on the trees you choose, you'll probably encounter 5-15 monsters that are immune to your two specific elements while questing through the entire game). And when those monsters do come up, if you've got a decent Act2 merc, he can handle it.

2. Yes, specifically, you should search these forums for threads started by EnerSense. I believe he's taken 5 different tri-ele sorcs through the game in single player, and he's written a lot about the subject. It's a fair bit of reading, but I think in the later threads he's summarized his combined knowledge about the subject - and the threads can definitely be used as a pseudo-guide.

3. I wouldn't bother with energy shield at all, and I doubt you'll want more than 1 point in Warmth and Teleport... you're going to be hard-pressed to get 3 strong killing skills as is, without spending extra skillpoints in your non-killing skills.

4. Gear: For sorcs that use more than one element, the Tal Rasha's set is a great choice. A common setup is often Full-Tal's, Magefist gloves and a 35% FCR Spirit Monarch shield. This would leave rings and charms to customize the rest of your build, and you'll have pretty solid all-around equipment. The problem - of course - is that in single player you can't get/make a Spirit without a game-mod to enable ladder-only runewords (such a mod is available in the single player forum - in the FAQ, in the Gameplay Affecting Techniques thread, if I'm not mistaken).

5. I play single player too (exclusively), and fyi, a dual-element sorc can do just fine. Tri-elementalists are a cool idea, but if immunities are your only motivating factor, then you can get by with dual-elements (basically, pick any two skills that are not Inferno or Thunderstorm, and you can make a viable build around them - though some choices are a little bit skill-point intensive too, so don't go too wacky like a FrostNova/ChargeBoltress :p).

As for the guides, as I said, EnerSense has some good, detailed writeups for tri-elementalists. There's also the 'Knowledge Library' thread here at the top of this forum that has a bunch of very good build guides, though I don't know if any of them are for tri-eles. Likewise, the Single-Player forum FAQ will have a lot of information you can use too.

3. pantherus

Hey thanks for that,

I'll take a look for those threads. I was under the impression that being limited to 2 elements (since Physical isn't really a top ability for our sorc) would cause problems down the line...thanks for the clarification. Whilst I like the idea of having three elements, it might be a bit complicated and point-intensive for a Sorc newbie like myself...may start off with a dual-elemental...

4. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Think of it like this:

Single-tree sorcs are for specialized jobs, i.e. MF-ing.
    Dual-tree sorcs are the most effective and versatile in handling any situation in the game.
    Tri-elemental sorcs are for experts who want an extra challenge.

5. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Hello Pantherus. Glad to see that you are working on a Tri-Elemental sorc. They are fun since nothing is immune to your spells. Whatever combination you choose, remember that you need to budget those skill points. If you have items that can help you cast spells (ex. shiver), use them instead of investing skill points to get that spell. You should also realize that this sorc will not be very powerful. I suggest using a skill calculator so you have an idea of what damage your spells will be doing. As mentioned earlier, I have made several Tri-Elemental sorcs. I'm particularly proud of this one.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=565023&highlight=aphrodite

Your merc is also important as always. You'll notice that the equipment for my merc is different than what you normally see. I didn't need a merc that can refill my sorc's mana but one that could slow down enemies and do damage. My full Tal's set and equipment made sure that I would never have to worry about my blue bulb. This type of sorc is for people who want to do something different and enjoy a challenge. This sorc is also at her best at player settings 1-4. Higher is not recommended but you can try if you like.

Good luck! :thumbup:

6. pantherus

I just like the idea of using all the elements rather than just two...

In saying that I'm a total Sorc newbie so may just stick to dual for now - though just to be slightly abnormal I may focus on Fire/Light and leave cold alone.

7. redground

redground IncGamers Member

Nova has no synergies, Orb have a weak synergi, rest one fire ball, meteor and masteries...

is it viable?

8. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Yes it would work, but unless you plan to use Meteor, then Firebolt is a better synergy because it doesn't have the prerequisites. And with two other attack skills, I think you could get by without Meteor just fine.

Firewall doesn't have synergies either, and it's quite strong on its own, so that would probably be the one I'd choose for a tri-elementalist anyways.

9. redground

redground IncGamers Member

so

20 Nova
    20 Orb
    20 Fire Wall
    1-7 CM
    1 Tele
    1 Static
    1 Telekinessis
    1 Shiver Armor (with no staff)
    rest in FM and Light Mastery

It looks like a lot of fun.

10. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yes, nova, firewall and orb need few points invested to be effective. You can replace firewall with blaze if you want to though, although you can't hit enemies that are standing still with it.

11. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

You forgot one point in Warmth. :)