Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tri-Element Sorc w/Full Tal's Set

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by tezuka, Aug 9, 2010.

1. tezuka

tezuka Diabloii.Net Member

Tri-Element Sorc w/Full Tal's Set

Hi guys, I wanted to have some fun with my new sorceress and go tri-element for the first time. I like full Tal's for the MF and Orb bonuses when in full set, and was wondering if anyone thought this build would work, and how it would work, to solo various Hell MF areas and just go wherever I want to kill stuff and have fun. Here are the skills I plan to get:

Skill Build
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Ice Blast
    1 Glacial Spike
    1 Blizzard
    20 Frozen Orb
    1 Cold Mastery

1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static Field
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    1 Teleport
    1 Lightning Mastery

1 Fire Bolt
    1 Warmth
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    1 Fire Ball
    1 Fire Wall
    20 Meteor
    1 Fire Mastery

I guess that would put me at 79 skill points used. I rarely level a character to much over level 90, so let's cap out at 101 skill points, leaving me 22 skill points left, which would probably be used to bump Fire and Lightning Mastery alternately to 10 each, and Cold Mastery to 5, putting me at exactly 101 skill points used at level 90.

Other Equipment

With full Tal's equipped, I have a choice for a Shield, 2x Rings, Gloves, and Boots. In general, I've always liked to be a Max Block sorc, with no points invested in Energy, minimal Strength, and high Vita. So this would narrow my Shield choices down quite a bit.

Main thing I need in a shield is a minimum of 27% Faster Block Rate, and a decent percentage to block. The higher the percentage to block, the less Dex I have to invest, and the more Vit I'll have. Similarly, if the Strength requirement is higher than the 84 I need for Tal's Armor, I'd have to invest more Strength as well, taking away from my Vit.

Some of my ideas are Rhyme Runeword (Nice resists, MF, CBF, 40FBR), Blackoak Shield (+DEX, +Life, 50FBR), Stormshield (Great, but very high Str Req), Moser's (Resists, 2os, 30FBR), Whistan's.

*Sanctuary Runeword is great too but only 20% faster block rate and this worries me...

As for Gloves and Boots, Magefist and Silkweave are the only real choices, obviously Chance Guards and War Travs for MF. So it'd be either of those until I came across great Rares or start crafting.

Finally, rings will probably be 2x SOJs.

Stats
    84 strength
    2xx dexterity (for max block)
    rest vitality
    base energy

Tal's Set Full Bonuses
    +6 To Sorceress Skill Levels
    50% Faster Cast Rate
    25% Faster Hit Recovery

All Resistances +65
    Cold Resist +40%
    Lightning Resist +73%
    Fire Resist +40%

+20 To Dexterity
    +10 To Energy

+179 To Mana
    +217 To Life
    Replenish Life +10
    Magic Damage Reduced By 15

+2 To Lightning Mastery
    +2 To Fire Mastery
    +2 To Cold Mastery

-15% To Enemy Fire Resistance
    -15% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
    +15% To Cold Skills Damage

168% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

Adds 3-32 Lightning Damage
    +50 Defense vs. Missile

37% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    10% Life Stolen Per Hit
    10% Mana Stolen Per Hit

Display Aura

Resists
    With just Tal's Set, and completing the resist scroll quests in each difficulty, resists would look like:

Fire: 35%
    Cold: 35%
    Lightning: 68%
    Poison: -5%

(edit: more to come later...)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Tri-Element Sorc w/Full Tal's Set

I am just starting a build like this.

How difficult is it to obtain full Tal's? I have the mask already, and am hoping its not too rare to get.

War Travelers has quite a high str requirement, but they are the ideal boot for me, because of the MF (and I already have them) Is it worth getting the strength requirement?

3. tezuka

tezuka Diabloii.Net Member

The amulet and armor are the harder pieces to get. The amulet costs about an Um rune, and the armor, depending on the defense, can be gotten for Pul sometimes, but usually Um. High or perfect defense can cost an Ist or Mal rune.

War Traveler's are great, they are the highest MF boots you can get. The Strength requirement of 95 is only 11 more than Tal's Armor, so I think it's worth it.

4. Trionth

Thought I would just summarize your build so it is easier to view:

Level 90 Tri-element Sorceress​

------------------------​

Skill Trees

Cold
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Ice Blast
    1 Glacial Spike
    1 Blizzard
    20 Frozen Orb
    5 Cold Mastery

Lightning
    1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static Field
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    1 Teleport
    10 Lightning Mastery

Fire
    1 Fire Bolt
    1 Warmth
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    1 Fire Ball
    1 Fire Wall
    20 Meteor
    10 Fire Mastery

Stats

Strength: 84-95(enough to use equipment)
    Dexterity: Enough to achieve 75% block
    Vitality: All points not used in Strength or Dexterity goes here
    Energy: None added​

Equipment

Helm: Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
    Amulet: Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    Rings: Stone of Jordan / Magic Fortuitous Rings of Fortune (Best MF rings)
    Body Armor: Tal Rasha's Guardianship
    Gloves: Magefists
    Belt: Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth
    Boots: War Traveler
    Weapon: Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye
    Shield: "Rhyme" / 4-socket-ist (Best MF shield)​

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

I would never recommend tri-elemental builds - you lose too much damage distributing points outside of synergies.

Even in Full-Tal's the damage is pitiful in comparison to dual-tree builds.

6. Trionth

How would you distribute the points in a dual-tree build. Is one element combination superior to another?

7. DH Amazon

DH Amazon Diabloii.Net Member

They are still powerful enough for very fast solo games. Last ladder I build one (~10k lightning ~5k CL, ~550 orb, ~2k fireball), hell Baal took ~10-15 seconds (and that was without infy merc).

Those are fun to play and fun to design. Now with respects its even easier to balance damage for each tree.

8. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Diabloii.Net Member

Generally you go duel tree when you need to make up for not being able to get around immunities or just personal preference.

General Duel tree builds focus on a single tree like build but adds a 2nd element for support. Take meteorb for example; its basically a fire sorc but add's Fo+ some CM to make it a duel tree build and gives you versatility to hunt with.

If you can grab a infinity; then you can get by with single tree builds and be able to pump out more damage due to synergies and heavy investments in one tree; but you will have to rely on your merc still from time to time for monster immunities that cant be broken.

Overall like already mentioned by seCK~, a tri-element build is DOABLE, but the damage is going to be (for the lack of a better term) pitifull. I would recommend shooting for a duel tree build so you will have modest strength to deal with monsters in hell and also not be hindered much by monster immunities.

The one benefit you would have going for you is that full tals is a very friendly duel tree set; so it should serve you well; Aside from the set...for Mf purposes you can switch things up how you like depending on how much mf you want. You could get by with a Ptopaz in the armor and a low gheeds and war travs and have enough mf for ok mf'ing ratios. then you could use duel soj to go along with magefist and spirit to make up the rest of your fcr for killing speed.

9. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah there's really very little reason to go tri-element...you're sacrificing probably half your overall effectiveness with 2 elements to add a third. And, really, every dual-element sorc is really a tri-element because your merc deals physical damage, which lets you take care of dual-immunes.

That third element doesnt let you do anything you can't with 2, and you give up a whole lot to get it.

10. Trionth

What skills would you invest in for a Lightning/Cold build.

What merc works best with a sorceress? I use an Act2 Combat Merc on my Hammerdin. Would I just use the same on sorc?

11. SeCKSEgai

It's hard to go light/cold for me since I'm used to the damage of a pure lite - Fully synergized lite can hit for over 50k (but realistically in the 40's) with a 14-15k CL and 2-3k nova.

However, CL/FO is the usual mix for those trees, with more focus on the lite side for synergies.

Fire/Cold is better overall as the damage is more consistent.

I typically use Act 2 Holy Free (NM Def) or Might (NM Off) for almost all builds, though defiance can work well for players with def bonus skills if they plan on tanking a bit (barb/pali) - but even then you'll generally use holy freeze or might.

12. Trionth

Uhm... I can't make sense of that. Still new to Diablo (goin on 2 weeks)

So... fully synergized. Does that mean you maxed all the skills in the lighting skill tree? and it hits for 40k realistically. Thats really good damage I thought...

... Sorry.

13. droid

check the stickies, there's indepth guides to all the pure light and light/cold (and fire/cold) builds.

14. SeCKSEgai

No apologies needed, I actually find it refreshing when someone needs clarification without asking to be spoon-fed.

CL - chain lightning
    FO - Frozen Orb
    FB - Fireball

that kinda thing.

There's a lot to learn with any build, and sorcs are no exception. A quick summary would be that to fully synergize the lite tree, you basically max nova, charged bolt, chain lightning and lightning (and lightning mastery although it isn't a "synergy"). You'll really want to consult the guides, as there's so much information to digest, and its compiled wonderfully there for your convenience.

For example, while I could tell you what gear to use and what skills to place relatively quickly, going over pro's and cons and variations would be very time consuming. As you're still new, feel free to explore all three trees so you can learn by experience. As you develop the need to specialize, that's when you'll really want to consult the guides. Unlike previous patches where skill/stat placement was permanent, you now have the freedom to change your build with a respec earned from act 1 or tokens from essences.

15. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Diabloii.Net Member

seCK~ Pretty much covered it but just to go over what he said.

A lite//cold build would be the CL/FO build. I've used it before and it is fairly effective. What seCK~ was saying about fully synergied lite build is normally when people go lite, they wish to go full synergy with infinity; so thats maxing Lightning with nova,charged bolt and chain lightning to give you big damage returns.

With the CL/FO build; you would be looking to invest your skill points roughly as follows.

Lite Tree

Telekinesis-1
    Teleport-1
    Static Field-1
    Charged Bolt-1*
    Lightning-20
    Chain Lightning-20
    Lightning Mastery-20

Fire Tree

Warmth-1

Cold Tree

Pick a Armor if you plan to use one(Cold,Shiver,Frozen)
    Prerequesites up to frozen orb
    Frozen Orb-20
    Cold Mastery-1 (Let +skills boost this)

*Invest more points into this to increase your lite damage further; invest in this last after maxing other skills.

For the most part thats the rough build (Correct me if I'm wrong), Stat points are of course pretty straight forward as well (Enough Str for eq, base dex, Vita all rest, base energy).

Hopefully you find a build you like and enjoy using it; if not, you can always respec anyways,xD

16. Trionth

Thank You!

Definently going to try a Cold/Light Sorceress.

17. droid

Raven is mostly right; the only changes I'd suggest, and its mostly a matter of taste, are to get Cold Mastery to 17 soft points (ie, L17 after all +skills), which with full Tals, Anni, and Torch I think means 3 hard points in CM (+3 from Orb, +2 from Amulet, +3 from Set, +2 from Spirit, +3 from Torch, +1 from Anni).

Also, I really like a 1-pt Energy Shield on a CL/FO sorc, since you have all the prereqs anyway. And if you do, you want to go almost all Ene rather than Vit. I find it really ups your survivability, especially with a Prayer/Insight merc.

18. SeCKSEgai

Total disagreement there - ES is only partial damage reduction - it still hits your health, and unsynergized it really hits it hard, as well as a mana burn is all it takes to clear the way to the Red bubble.

And there's also the mana curse.