Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

'Treachery' and rabies

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Reynout, May 3, 2008.

1. Reynout

Reynout IncGamers Member

'Treachery' and rabies

Hi all, a couple of questions for you.

I'm currently building two characters who could benefit from the 'Treachery' runeword. A paladin ranger and a rabies/fury wolf.

I'm getting completely frustrated trying to find an archon plate for the runeword, I've been hunting for one for weeks now. All I managed to get so far were damaged. I just found one, a nice superior one with +9% ed totalling at 572 def. All fine and dandy, except it has only 2 sockets! *grumble*

So I'm considering sticking the runeword in a 365 def Dusk Shroud. Is it worth the loss in defense, or should I just suck it up and continue hunting that elusive archon plate?

Or is it possible to add extra sockets to the 2os sup archon?

And for my other question: I know venom sets all poison damage to 0.4 seconds, except for plague javalin and poison dagger. How does rabies work with venom? Is it useless to have on my druid or will it actually enhance his abilities?

Thanks in advance.

2. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Re: 'Treachery' and rabies

In response to your first question, I would just say stick it in the Dusk Shroud. In my opinion, defense is overrated. The extra defense you would be getting from the archon plate would only be about a 3% difference from being hit. Maybe if your making a high end rune word (such as fortitude) if would be worth it, but I don't think it will make a difference with treachery.

3. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

1) You might not like the repair costs of a get-hit runeword in a superior base item.
    2) Since Treachery offers no enhanced defense, it's not really worth putting it into one of your best armors. Save those for other runewords.
    3) Venom and rabies act as separate applications of poison. If your venom has a higher rate than your rabies, it'll run for 0.4 seconds on the monster you bite (not those that get infected). After that, rabies will automatically be reapplied. Search for posts by SSoG if you want a more detailed explanation.

4. Reynout

Reynout IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I've just made 'Treachery' in the dusk shroud, let's hope I won't regret it!

5. Llathias

Llathias Banned

IMO, looks > defense

and these Horadric Cube recipes are what you're looking for:

• 1 Eld Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon = Normal Quality Weapon of same type
      ilvl = 1. That is, regardless of what the ilvl was beforehand, it will be set to 1.

• 1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type
      The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-4 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. The chance to get X sockets in most armor is 1/4 (I.E: Mage plate has a max of 3 sockets, so it has a 2/4 [1/2] chance to get 3 sockets). The base of 6 was used in the ratios for all the above mentioned areas.

edit: darn, too slow. Hope you enjoy your new armor.

6. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Use the el rune thing to make it a normal archon plate then give it to larzuk! He will always give it 3 sockets because it's ilvl=1. I guess it's too late for this runeword, but next time...

7. slikz

slikz IncGamers Member

Is that actually true skoolbus? Every time I get Larzuk to socket one of my items, its only ever one socket...

8. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

Uniques always get only 1 socket , but blues and whites (and eths) get more.

9. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Defence is quite useful, but only if you can stack up on it. For treachery you might as well have something with 0 base defence. Whether your body armour gives 400 or 600 defence doesn't matter at all. All you'll be donig is going from "totally useless" to "almost totally useless".

If you look at a "real" runeword like gloom or fortitude, you'll get about tripple your base defence on the body armour, that's something you can work with. Whether you got 1200 or 1600 defence does indeed make a difference. Here you can go from "okay" to "awesome".

As a rule of thumb, if you cannot break 10k defence total, don't bother with defence. Personally I wouldn't "rely" on defence unless it was 15k or more. But 10k is pretty decent for starters.

10. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

If you socket uniques/sets/rares you get one socket from larzuk always. Magic items have a 50% chance of getting one socket, and a 50% chance of getting two.

Larzuk always gives the max number of sockets to a white item. The max number of sockets for white items is based on the items ilvl. It's true if you find a white low quality archon plate/dusk shroud/any elite armor (that can get 4 sockets which I think is all of them) and you make it normal quality with the cube recipe and set it's ilvl=1, larzuk will give it 3 sockets. Every time. There's a table with item ilvls (search of the forums will probably find it) and the max number of sockets it can get based on its ilvl. It's more useful for normal/exceptional white items where there's a larger range of ilvls possible for the item.

In the SPF faqs, theres one that's like "Guide to altering items in game", it has a better explanation about how to give your items sockets.

11. Reynout

Reynout IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice and the useful hints about the cube recipe. I never heard of the el-recipe before, that makes life a lot easier, thanks!