Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Travelling to the US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jun 11, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Travelling to the US

Okay, so I'm going to go to the States tonight. I was just wondering if I can get screwed over for downloading music and stuff onto my computer.. For example, some songs on my iPod I don't own on CD. I'm also bringing some blank CD and DVDs in case I need to burn something, is that okay too?

On a more technical note, what exactly is the procedure for showing them that my laptop works? I just turn it on and it's okay? Can I leave my laptop on sleep and then just open the cover and show them that it turns on? Is it safe to keep my laptop on sleep during take off and landing? And also...would my computer last longer if I kept it off or in sleep?

And now, when I get there, is it illegal to log on to wireless networks that aren't my own? What are the plugs like, two flat prongs?

2. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

as far as I know, as long as you do not downlad in the US, noone cares. Leave you laptop off though.
    Keep it off in flight until the attendents say you can. supposivly it messes with the aircraft electonics, so leave it off. they usually just ask you to turn it on at the security, then have you turn it off.

US Electrical outlet.
    http://www.bahl.com/images/Real_Estate/1473_Yukon_Dr/Features/Outlets.jpg

3. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Hrm I see. Is that third round stick thing really necessary? I only have a converter that has the two | | things....

So I should turn off all my P2P and bittorent things and never turn them on while I'm in the states? Will it matter if I have stuff on my HD...?

4. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

No one is going to stop you and check out your laptop. Don't sweat it.

5. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

the third hole is for the optional Grounding wire. you can use a two prong no problem. it is usually only heavy machinery or computer or powertools that use them.

Leave all your electronics off while in flight. When the aircraft hits crusing altitude, the attendents will usually tell you that you can know use your electronics (except cell phones) and when to put them up. When you are out of the airplane and airport, go ahead and leave stuff on.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Am I allowed to bring pirated DVDs into the US? Will they check my CD case?

It's not my first time flying of course, but I'm just a bit scared because last time, they checked my shoes and everything so maybe it's even worse now...I guess i'm just being paranoid.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

do you really need to bring that stuff if it's got you so worried?

P.S. go back to Mexico, we're full up here

8. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

You are talking about airport security people. They could care less where you got your DVD's from. They aren't the FTC or anything. ;)

9. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Who brings dvds and **** on vacation anyways?

No one in america checks your ****, ever. and if they do, theyre lieing so they can rob you.

10. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Masterazn, no they don't check your laptop, they only tell you to bring it out of the bag and put it into a basket.
    And no, nobody cares if you have tons of pirated stuff, in fact, that's what I do every time I go back to the U.S., crap loads of pirated dvds, games, softwares.
    Don't sweat it, just chill and enjoy the trip.
    If you need further help, PM me or find me on AIM, or QQ if you have a #.

11. Jesse24

Jesse24 IncGamers Member

hahah you're being paranoid, they're searching for guns and knives not pirated dvd's.

12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I just hope you're not trying to bring in 50+ bootleg copies of 'Mr & Mrs Smith' - that would raise some suspicions...

13. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

That just might. They are not looking for music and dvd's as much as guns, drugs and large sums of money which could be used to help fund terrorism.

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

crist, paranoia gone mad. dont give a damn, use your illegal DVD's whilst listening to your illegal music, no-one is going to arrest you. The only people who get sued are those that constantly download and upload huge amounts of illegal stuff. someone on a holiday who has a few songs and DVD's aint going to be enough for them to call the army to come get you.

15. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Actually, some places do make your turn your laptop on. But there's no set procedure, if they want it done, they'll tell you. And don't worry about the CDs and DVDs, they don't care. And yes, they probably will check your shoes, especially if they have big soles.

16. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I would put it to sleep until you get through security and then turn it off until an attendant says you can turn it on.

Everything else is fine, they don't know you don't have legal backups of those DVDs and they don't know if you legally own those songs. Frankly they don't care. I don't know anyone who has been killed with a stolen song.

17. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

No, the airport security will not like turn on your laptop and go through ever file to check if you have anything illegal in it (unless they suspect you to be criminal :uhhuh: ).

And no they will not really do anything if you bring pirated dvds. However, if they do search your bag (they do that randomly now) and find the pirated dvds, it may bring up a few questions though.

Also I've heard the China's airport security as taken up some measures against piracy, so you should check your departing airport to see if they have this issue as well.

18. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

Also what's your power supply in china (You're chinese right?)
    Because in the US its 110 volts and not 220 (IIRC)

19. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

I am but I'm not sure about the thread starter. I was just telling him that Chinese airports had started checking so maybe other airports have as well.

And it's true that the voltage in many countries are different than the U.S. but most laptops today come with an universal AC adapter so they can plugin to almost all the voltage ranges.

20. bobmarley

bobmarley IncGamers Member

Just don't leave your P2P programs running while you are on the plane. And it is quite hard to get caught using P2P programs. As long as you don't share any files, you can't get in trouble. :thumbsup: