Trav runner WW barb

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member
Trav runner WW barb

I've tried running Trav with my pretty well-geared Frenzy barb, but I'm not getting the run times I'd like. I'm going to level up my original character, the mutt with points all over, with the goal of turning him into a whirlybarb for Council rune hunting. It sounds like it should be pretty straightforward, skill wise, but I'm a bit confused about the weapon choice. It seems the latest fashion is using two single-handed weapons, and I'd always thought of WW as a big hurty stick skill.

I was planning on using the death stick, with an upped eth Hone Sundan for every 5 runs when that thing kicks the bucket and needs to recharge, but I have a couple questions.

1. Why the prevalence of dual wield options? Did something change that gives a bonus to WW attack checks when dual wielding or something?

2. How bad is the durability crunch with WW? I know for a fact that monstrous polearm will decimate just about anything, but that doesn't do me much good if I have to take 5 minutes to repair it every 10 runs.

3. If the dual wield is just that much better, what are some budget options starting out? I think the best one-hander I have right now is an eOath cryptic sword, and then things like Schaeffer's that I'm assuming are too slow. Especially since I'll only have one respec I would like to plan to use the same weapon type as I will when I'm all geared up.

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Trav runner WW barb

Well I'm sure a two-handed weapon would work fine, but the reason two one-handed weapons is the generally preferred method is that it hits (roughly) twice as often. Having a Grief Berserker Axe land a hit every other frame is pretty powerful.

Don't know about the durability thing, as I've only been using WW with indestructible weapons.

As for budget options, look no further than an etheral Oath, preferrably in a 1.07 base. Any other cheap option I'm aware of is a lot worse than Oath, I think.

Oh and that's a pretty stylish death stick you have :) Why not try the death stick and see how it compares to wielding two Oath?

baqarah

Diabloii.Net Member

That's some impressive death stick you have there.

1. The reason people are going dual 1h its because the damage you can have with grief. Perfect ebotd GPA in 1.07 base has the damage around 345-1047. For the sake of comparison, lets say we use Griefs in 1.07 ATMA bugged eBA. The base damage of those bad boys is 36-159(71*1.5*1.5). This gives us almost 97 avg damage. So perfect Grief has 497 avg damage - almost 1000 avg damage when WWing (as Fabian said, when WWing you hit almost twice as fast as when using 2h).
And thats when you dont count +ed to demons from grief and DS. Damage-wise there is nothing better than dual griefs for WWer.
Also when dual wielding your +dam charms work twice as effective.

2h has more range, so in some situations you can deal more damage, but I dont think you can dish out ~300 avg damage from the range difference alone.

3. Oath is the best. I've been using small crescent as a base myself for a long time and never compained about it (its also a great twinking gear, as it has low lvl req 49 and low stat req). Small crescent is an axe, so it shares the type with the best high end weapon for WW - Grief zerker. It has max 4 socekts, so its easier to make oath in it.

If I were you I would make a new char. The Polearm you're using is too cool to cover in dust in your stash - it should stay in the hands of a warrior. When I found my second Grandfather I created a Frenzier with them. Patted him, and never played him anymore (Oaths are SO much better than grandfathers!). The style points have been earned though.

hubb

Diabloii.Net Member

^What this guy said. eOath Small Crescents (Ettin Axe works just as well but has 5 max sockets) is the best, then Grief phaseblades if you can afford them.

WW is waayyyy for more effective for trav. My grief/ss zerker actually does it faster than my grief/oath WW barb, but we'll see what happens when I get my 2nd grief :)

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, the Polearm has been in use on my flaming mauler. He actually wipes the floor with the council, but he doesn't have access to Find Item.

The more I think about it, the less excited I am about making a WW barb for council running. I don't like using the skill and that won't exactly motivate me to do tons of runs, and I don't really like the doinky little weapons. The only other real 2 handed options the barb has are Conc (which has incredibly low ED) and Berserk though, and I don't think either of them would be great options for council hunting.

I've got an unfinished WolfBarb out there somewhere built for polearms, maybe I'll give him a shot. My Frenzier didn't really cut it. I suppose WW is the way to go but it just seems seriously lacking in style somehow.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I use a Death 1.07 eth Colossus Blade on my whirler. It works fine. I used to dual wield it with an Oath 1.07 eth Cryptic Sword, but I think just swinging the Death works better over all. It's slower, but it hits much, much harder. 460-909 base damage, 92% DS, 30% CS (for 94.4% chance for double damage), 65% CB, 7% mana leech every hit.

As for your mauler, why don't you just run council with him? Especially if he runs faster than any whirler you could make right now. Find item isn't more important than fast runs.

TheRebel22

Diabloii.Net Member

Anyone ever do NM Trav runs while trying to get items to go into hell with? I heard somewhere that they drop good runes and skiller charms.. but I haven't found any runes at all really. Maybe 3 total have dropped in 60 runs, highest being shael. I've had it on p1 setting, that's the best setting to find runes right? I'm not wearing much mf, only like 100mf.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member

p1 is only an optimal setting for doing Countess runs. Any other rune hunting should be done at the highest possible odd players setting that you can conveniently run.

mf doesnt matter for rune drops.

As far as NM council, I don't really know. The optimal target depends on what you're runewords you are after. If you just want to make something like smoke for the resists than running Countess is good since she can readily drop up to Io, you only need three to cube up. If you're after slightly higher runes, say to make Harmony, than you'll want to look elsewhere.

I just took a character into hell and cleared NM cows a few times before proceeding. I got a mid rune every run or two clearing at p5. Might be an alternative to the council.

TheRebel22

Diabloii.Net Member

Good idea with the NM cows. I feel like such an idiot running at p1 all night.. lol.

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member

Gul is my highest rune right now, so I'd need to find a Vex before making a Death of any kind and it seems a little slow for WW; I guess I could go with my eOath and.....something else and just wait and wait and wait until I can make a Grief PB.

I think part of it is level. I haven't tried running with anything above lvl 85, and giving 3-4 levels really does make a difference in melee with it affecting chance to hit so much. That'd also probably allow me to gear up my merc more for DR than stacking resists, because he gets ripped apart by amp or fanat right now.

And really, I'd say half of my run time is sorting through junk to make sure I haven't missed anything. I think I'm probably around 1:15 from load to killing everything off (on runs I don't abort for conviction or fanat) and horking, but then it takes another minute just to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.

Also, can you farm essences in NM or does it have to be Hell? If I can do it quickly in NM I might do that rather then levelling up my lvl 50 barb.

[edit]
Actually, Oath looks like it might work well; the Magic Damage absorb on two of them would probably make my runs a hell of a lot safer, at 20-30points total. Maybe I'll dig through my stashes when I get home, I think I can cube up a Mal or maybe have one lingering about and if I have a decent base item I'd give it a shot. I'm assuming basically any eth elite 2H sword will do there?

TheRebel22

Diabloii.Net Member

Hell yeah!! haha after struggling all day to get my d2 to work on my comp, on my first run at p3 tonight I got a fal rune horking one of the council members. : ) My highest rune find yet in SP (sad, I know, but still!)

Twoflower

Banned

I'd reccomend double oath for startes, they are rather cheapo and they do good damage. Grief does more damage, true, but it is also way way more expensive.